875,000 People Are On America’s Terrorist Suspect List

terrorist suspect list

They’re all around us — the number of people being tracked as suspected terrorists will soon cross the one million mark, Reuters reports:

The number of names on a highly classified U.S. central database used to track suspected terrorists has jumped to 875,000 from 540,000 only five years ago, a U.S. official said. Among those was Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whose name was added in 2011.

Maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center, the highly classified database is not a “watchlist,” but a repository of information on people whom U.S. authorities see as known, suspected or potential terrorists from around the world.

The “Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment” is a master database which agencies use to build other catalogs of possible terrorists, like the “no-fly” list which prevents people on it from boarding airplanes.

Karen Greenberg, an expert in counter-terrorism policy at Fordham University, questioned whether the growth in the database’s size made it easier for officials to spot threats before they materialize.

12 Comments on "875,000 People Are On America’s Terrorist Suspect List"

1. Anarchy Pony | May 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm |

I bet if you’re a regular here you’re on a list. Maybe not this list though.

2. Liam_McGonagle | May 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm |

This will come in handy when I set out to write my memoirs. In case I’ve forgotten any important details, I’m sure they’ll be in my file.

3. Simon Valentine | May 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm |

not a watchlist, eh? so a pointless exercise, like so many jobs, being an excuse to look like someone’s doing something? some nice fake ‘potential energy’ to reference for “force”, “authority”, i.e. a pile of excrement or a puddle of piss to mark territory in which some units will portend to authority? Mr. Anderson….

job fakeness is at least as much of a problem…
    screw it
    job fakeness is more of a problem than fake ID
    Cypher can get himself plugged back into the matrix all he wants
    w3k sauce of piles of fakeness
    “HIDE BEHIND THE PILE OF DEAD BARDS!”
    said the best line ever

at this moment all i got is “maybe they’re live-testing an algorithm”
    maybe they’ll end up selling the data for Sid 6.0
    if anyone gets that reference (Virtuosity; Russel Crow)

*edit*
    I wonder if any characterpersonas are on it, like Mal from Firefly. or ‘me’ from “me” from … me?

• Calypso_1 | May 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm |

We are always live testing algorithms.
      Now ask yourself – what is the difference between a sting and an audit?

• Simon Valentine | May 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm |

yeah i ask myself these things but it’s good to know i’m not the only one seeking the self answer. i’ll see where it takes me 🙂

and yeah though, directly related, just such a thing in the workplace; an insurance guy came in (i was told, i didn’t see nor speak with him) as an audit, and someone said that he was going around asking people questions. and someone told me to respond in a way. me? no. screw all that. i will find and make up my own mind with the ethics and knowledge i can muster.

good call. crazy timing.

4. Well. That narrows it down.

5. One in a million. Not bad at all…

6. BuzzCoastin | May 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm |

if they don’t keep the list
    how will the FBI find people to work with
    plus