One Quarter Of Britons Say They Are Curious To Try Cannibalism

try cannibalism

A taboo urge lying just below the surface of society, waiting to bubble up? Tabloid the Daily Star reports:

Millions of Brits want to eat human flesh like movie cannibal Hannibal Lecter, a shock report revealed yesterday. Almost a quarter of us reckon we are “curious” to taste human meat – while 14% want a piece of ourselves fried to learn what our own body tastes like.

Even more of those questioned confessed they would be happy to tuck into their own body if a doctor safely took a sample from them.

The findings of the cannibalism poll for telly channel Eden come just days after 40-year-old Brit Geoffrey Portway admitted a US plot to kill and eat a child. He faces up to 27 years in an American jail after law enforcement agents found his home in Massachusetts was equipped with a steel cage and a child-sized homemade coffin.

28 Comments on "One Quarter Of Britons Say They Are Curious To Try Cannibalism"

1. Mark Cowan Jr | May 17, 2013 at 9:40 am |

It tastes like democracy!

2. I am really open to trying new foods but this is just gross!

3. Note to self: Never tell a Briton to “Eat me.”

4. emperorreagan | May 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm |

If I start a farm where I raise and kill humans for meat, will Monsanto sue me because they’ve eaten Monsanto wheat and soy products and contain fragments of the patented DNA?

5. The Well Dressed Man | May 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm |

Commercially grown cloned meat may be available soon. While definitely a creepy image, the harm reduction to the environment could be vast. At this point, would it really be that unethical to consume human flesh grown with no harm to the human?

6. Rus Archer | May 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm |

is this another of those awesome “studies” where 5 dudes drinking in their backyard discuss cannibalism and 14% of them feel curious about it and they decide that’s an accurate scientific representation of the rest of the country and can therefore say MILLIONS want to eat human flesh
    ?

7. is that your kickstarter?

8. What a load of crap – believe this and you will believe anything, If it said this about the US I would not believe it and you should not believe this (if daft enough) of us.

• Looking at what everyone else is saying, I don’t think you need to worry. Unless of course you are planning on using these jokes to make a living.

9. InfvoCuernos | May 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm |

I know a guy that knows a mortician that told him if he could get a group of 6 trusted friends together, then the mortician could “obtain” a haunch for a barbeque, but that was years ago and I never heard anything so he either couldn’t find 5 other people or he couldn’t trust me lol.

10. Years ago I started a website called “Cannibal Club,” which purports to be a trendy LA restaurant where human meat is served. Not only to I get flooded with E-mail from credulous people who want to try cannibalism, I sometimes get messages from people volunteering to be served. Not once have I ever got a message from someone voicing moral outrage.

The truth is, cannibalism isn’t as much of a taboo as is widely supposed. People just don’t have a legal/ethical way to practice it.

11. A new spin on ‘having a friend over for lunch’.

12. soylent green happy meal at mcdonalds!

13. So one cannibal looks at the other and says…

Does this clown meat taste funny to you?

I think about that joke every time I drive by a McDonald’s.

14. Christopher Ross | May 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm |

Title should read: 25% of Daily Star readers say they are curious to try cannibalism.

15. rgtvandenberg | May 22, 2013 at 11:53 am |

Lies, damn lies and statistics…’almost a quarter’ is curious. I sometimes wonder what shit would taste like. Having ample opportunity to taste it, I still don’t. It smells pretty bad. Like shit, honestly.. Only 14% (of who? That quarter? Of everyone?) would try their own flesh ‘if safely removed’. 0% of this article pins down anything factual.

16. I chew my nails and the skin around them. I don’t see how eating a sample of my own flesh is any different (apart from the fact that I would probably be needing it at the time)