Ancient Egyptian Statue Caught Moving On Its Own

Time-lapse surveillance footage captures the 4,000-year-old statute gradually rotating. Is it merely from the vibrations of foot traffic in the museum, or something more sinister?

The 10-inch tall relic, an offering to the Egyptian God Osiris which dates back to 1800 BC, has been at the Manchester Museum for 80 years but curators say it has recently starting rotating 180 degrees during the day. The statue is of a man named Neb-Senu.

Curators have been left scratching their heads after they kept finding it facing the wrong way. They now believe there could be a ‘spiritual explanation’ for the turning statue. It is believed that there is a curse of the pharaohs which strikes anyone who dares to take relics from a pyramid tomb.

Experts decided to monitor the room on time-lapse video and were astonished to see it clearly show the statuette spinning 180 degrees – with nobody going near it.

25 Comments on "Ancient Egyptian Statue Caught Moving On Its Own"

1. Justen Noye | Jun 24, 2013 at 11:07 am |

How come he doesn’t move at night…? Is he sleeping?

• it doesn’t move at night because it’s due to vibration of foot traffic that moves the statue gradually on its offset center of gravity on an uneven pane of glass.

2. rhetorics_killer | Jun 24, 2013 at 11:10 am |

Has anyone analyzed data, to be sure there is no frame editing? Belief is never more secured but cross-checked with hard science.

3. Simon Valentine | Jun 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |

friction
    seems neutral enough

4. No smoke & mirrors here. After analyzing this video by watching it once I know feel I can yell GHOST!!!!!

• InfvoCuernos | Jun 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm |

I support your analysis- I watched it twice and have come to the same conclusion- GHOST! (but with maybe only one exclamation point)

5. I want to believe

6. Noah_Nine | Jun 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

Holy Stones Batman!

7. A haunted object in unrest will stay in unrest…

8. lifobryan | Jun 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm |

Foot-traffic & offset balance is the most logical explanation, but paranormal twiddling is far more fun.

I work with stop-motion animation & timelapse photography, and this sort of thing would be super-easy (albeit time-consuming) to fake. In fact, if I happened to be be employed by such a museum of artifacts, I’d love to pull a prank like this. (In fact, I’d probably find a mummy costume & be sure to be “caught in the act” moving the statue for a few timelapse frames here & there).

Mummies have a lot of time on their hands ….

9. I wonder if the Manchester Museum is in need of more attendance?

10. trompe l'oiel | Jun 25, 2013 at 10:29 am |

Someone get Holmes on the case, I want answers.

11. Christopher Mattick | Jun 25, 2013 at 11:22 am |

Jinkies!

12. jasonpaulhayes | Jun 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm |

“Experts decided to monitor the room on time-lapse video and were
    astonished to see it clearly show the statuette spinning 180 degrees –
    with nobody going near it.”

Fascinatingly Naive.