Comedian Russell Brand Mocks Vapidity and Artificiality of Television News

You know this isn’t going to end well when the interview opens with the host saying that she’s been told her next guest is a “big deal” but she’s never head of him. No call for a little research, right? Well, maybe next time. Guest Russell Brand turns out to be too much of a loose cannon to play along.

Brand describes the topic of his worldwide tour clearly enough, but apparently not clearly enough for the dunderheads at Morning Joe:

“I’m talking about Malcolm X, Che Guevara, Gandhi and Jesus Christ and how these figures are significant culturally, and how icons are appropriated in the news to designate consciousness and meaning, particularly posthumously.”

“And what brings all those people together?”

“They’re all people who died for a cause, and all people whose icons have been used to designate meaning, perhaps not in the manner they intended.”

“Hmm! I kind of like that! It sounds dead serious!”

Can we get thirty seconds now? Gandhi! Go!”

Clearly realizing that this interview isn’t going anywhere, Brand turns his attention to the cavalcade of cubicle dwellers behind him:

“Lovely. That’s to create the atmosphere that ‘We’re a hotbed of news!'”

Later, one of the interviews tells him that he can’t understand him because of his accent when he listens to him on the radio.

Finally noting  Brand’s obvious irritation, they try to bring him back under the sway of their idiot orbit by discussing his appearance. Things really fly off the rails from there.

“Is this what you all do for a living?!?”

Afterward Brand “takes over” the program and tries to show by example what real media should be doing by discussing actual topics of import.

H/T – Saint Eli

70 Comments on "Comedian Russell Brand Mocks Vapidity and Artificiality of Television News"

1. Chattur'gha | Jun 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm |

“We’re admiring the whole thing”

Brand: “Well thank you for your casual objectification”

Brand: “This is what you all do for a living?”

Oh man, this is great. My respect for Russel Brand just increased immensely.

• Russel Brand is great, but most of the interviewers can’t keep up with him. He talks so fast and has so much to say, and he even sounds like a cool guy when he says it. this is a combination that leave most talking heads slack jawed. They know he is saying something, they just hope it isn’t something they will get in trouble for.

Off with their heads!

• dude can seriously think on his feet, makes me think his standup is probably killer.

• mannyfurious | Jun 20, 2013 at 10:19 am |

Actually, for me, he’s at his best “off the cuff.” His stand-up is disappointing, in my opinion. Seems like a cool guy, though.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 21, 2013 at 9:34 am |

His first special was pretty funny, but believe or not, he’s an excellent writer. “My Booky Wook” was very well-written.

• I’ll check it out, thanks Matt.

• ah, okay, this is good to know before I blow $125 on his show, between my wife and I!

• mannyfurious | Jun 20, 2013 at 10:19 am |

2. DrDavidKelly | Jun 19, 2013 at 5:25 pm |

That was a pleasure to watch.

3. I like his style, and you can literally see the moment when he decides to fuck with them.

4. Christopher Ross | Jun 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm |

Remember when CNN showed integrity in their journalistic work-ethic? Me either. It’s sad when comedians like Jon Stewart and Russel Brand have a better handle on reality than the people who’s job it is to ensure that we are informed. Comedians have become the journalists and journalists have been reduced to the role of entertainers.

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm |

Learning things makes the lower classes more redoubtable foes in class struggles. That’s why they(owners of the mass media conglomerates and those that influence them) do everything they can to avoid or distract from truly important issues.

• Do they all do this?

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm |

Have you ever heard anyone talk about 3rd world exploitation in any meaningful way on any of the major news stations? If they ever do bring up anything important it’s usually just a show to say “Hey look! We aren’t completely ignoring the subject, here’s some token coverage.”
          It does vary from station to station a little bit. Chomsky has gone over the way that the editorial process usually guts issues of substance.

• Chomsky is damn great, and you make several excellent points. Thank you.

(edited to fix error and huge understatement)

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm |

no, there’s a news outlet in Butte, MT that has full-on real news

• and its why college is so expensive. plus, you gotta support the capitalist order afterwards.

• Antediluviancurrent | Jun 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm |

We’re back in the era when court jesters are the only genuinely honest folks near positions of power.

• In medieval courts, the jester was the only person who could speak truth to the king… the quality of his wit was the only thing keeping his head attached to his neck.

5. InfvoCuernos | Jun 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm |

The morning tv news circus is following the morning radio zoo format, which is lowest common denominator entertainment. Its been so long since I’ve watched any morning news(or news of any kind) that I was a little surprised at how these twits were unable to carry on an intelligent interview. What does it take to get hired nowadays. The part where they pan to the banks of people on computers and say they are looking through facebook and twitter for “news” is like peeking behind the curtain. What isn’t specifically scripted by big brother is just so much useless dross.

6. BuzzCoastin | Jun 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm |

it’s funny
    the dumb blonde bitch was a total unknown to me
    until I watched her shill for the NSA with Greenwald
    so it’s funny to see her dis Brand as being an unknown
    and it’s even funnier to watch him charm her pants off @1:26

• “the dumb blonde bitch”, you angry man you

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm |

no, it’s a fact
        she’s a dumb blonde bitch elite shill
        the daughter of a war mongering elite

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 19, 2013 at 11:14 pm |

She’s the spawn of Zbigniew Brzezinski. An imperialist sumbitch if ever there was one.

Not that the sins of the fathers should necessarily be passed to their children. But when they carry the mantle willingly, so be it.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 20, 2013 at 5:06 am |

since I’m totally outa the loop
            when I first saw her grill Greenwald with da Party line
            I was wonderin’ wtfz up wid dat
            and even he called her on it
            &
            today I found out why
            elite spawned, it figured it be sumtin like dat

• its the ‘bitch’ part of your comment, and the fact you feel it necessary to mention the colour of her hair. Do not be brainwashed by patriarchal society.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 20, 2013 at 5:12 am |

oh, now we’re gettin’ technical
            well I forgot to footnote that it’s a wig or bad dye job
            in any case it’s a put on, a costume
            that’s her role on the show
            dull witted elitist BLONDE dumb bitch

* my lawyers told me to add that
            I don’t think all blondes or
            people without avatar pictures
            are dumb or even bitches
            although statistical probabilities tend that way

• I am not denying that she is stupid or a puppet. why do you have to call her a bitch though?.

you angry at women bro?

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 20, 2013 at 6:18 am |

to be honest
            pretty much for that reaction

• Matt Staggs | Jun 20, 2013 at 9:16 am |

Were it a man and you had said that balding dumbass dickhead this conversation wouldn’t exist. If you want to talk patriarchal society then you can also bring up the paternalistic tendencies among some to “protect” people who never elected them as their defenders. My wife loathes those folks.

• i am not defending anyone. a bitch is a bitch, not just for women but men, too.
            but why is it that, when people see a women acting stupid they are immediately labeled a ‘dumb bitch’?

• Apathesis | Jun 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm |

She dropped her baby down a flight of stairs.

She’s a dumb bitch.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 21, 2013 at 12:30 am |

She returned to CBS as a correspondent in September 2001, a move which thrust her into the limelight as a principal “Ground Zero” reporter for the September 11, 2001 attacks.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 21, 2013 at 12:06 am |

because men are always acting stupid
            and we count on woman to play it straight

• Self-stereotyping hurts everyone.

• …why?

Because she IS a dumb bitch.

She is dumb. I think we can agree on that.

She is a bitch, we can agree on that too.

Putting those two words together, is just a factual descriptionof her. Heck, u can even throw in blonde.

Dumb blonde bitch.

As a girl, is it okay for me to call her this? That way im not bein a mean judgemental man.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 21, 2013 at 9:48 am |

(A) Not all automatically refer to women as “dumb bitches” when they act stupid. Buzz did. At least, it was just Buzz until you invoked the Streisand Effect. (B) People use insults to hurt feelings, demean and objectify other people. That’s why they’re insults. (C) We call men “dickheads”, and for that matter, “asshole” seems to be fairly gender specific if you look at how rarely it’s used to describe women. (D) I have a theory that about 99% of the web’s social justice warriors aren’t actually offended by most of what they express anger about. It’s a game they all play like some kind of social outrage edition of Magic: The Gathering. (E) Far from “not defending anyone”, you’re the one who started White Knighting here, objectifying and belittling Buzz by his gender as a “bro” (I’m guessing it’s okay when you do it, plus you’re saying “A bitch is a bitch” now – hey, what does the word mean to you?) and subtly accusing him of misogyny and now you’re using the “I’m just asking questions” dodge.

• ok you caught me, i am a wizard.
            this is a mans world.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

I rebuke thee, Necromancer!

• I have to agree with Buzz, once again. Dumb as a bag of hammers! She is not smart enough to have read enough to have an honest opinion of her own. But that’s fine. Luckily her job doesn’t require one.

By the end of it she was ready to let Russel have his way with her, under the table if need be. If daddy sees this she is going to get one hell of a talking to; “How many times do I have to tell you, no schtupping the liberals! One more time and I’ll have your contract torn up.” (The spell checker didn’t know schtupping. Not so smart, huh?)

Now as far as equal time goes, the male “journalist” probably doesn’t drool very often, but his cajones didn’t seem to be in evidence in any way. We have a word for that kind of guy in the South – actually two words hyphenated – I won’t say it here, but it fits him so well.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 20, 2013 at 9:44 am |

All she does from what I’ve seen is give Morning Joe ego handjobs all day…

7. BuzzCoastin | Jun 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm |

Russel makes a cameo in this video
    iam.bradleymanning.org
    which is as good a performance as the morning joe performance

8. Eric_D_Read | Jun 19, 2013 at 8:33 pm |

He also puts on a serious game clinic on Brzezinski’s daughter.

9. …but is it right for one man to hog so much of the world’s awesome?

10. I’m not sure that the guy who married Katy Perry gets to mock anyone for “Vapidity”.

• Now wait a minute Zenc. After seeing her in the red cowboy boots in Wonder Boys I was ready to marry her too, but it wasn’t for her mind.

Of course I have a thing for Frances McDormand too, and that does involve her mind, so…

• Matt Staggs | Jun 20, 2013 at 8:00 am |

She named her kitten “Kitty Purry”. She’s okay with me.

11. Saint Eli | Jun 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm |

I suspect Russell saw the clip a week past, of that same anchor woman, scoffing at Glenn Greenwald (who was defending Snowden and Bradley Manning) and he came prepared to do some damage. I reckon that’s why he specifically brought up Snowden and Manning when he started to read the news himself.

12. Matt, interview Russell Brand please.

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 19, 2013 at 11:14 pm |

This.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 20, 2013 at 8:00 am |

I’d do that in a heartbeat. I’m pretty sure that I’m too small of a fish, though.

• Can’t hurt to ask.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 20, 2013 at 9:42 am |

I dunno, Man. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t a disinfo reader. I mean he was talking Like David Seaman their for a bit, talking about Snowden and Manning. He is a Stand Up Commedian like Rogan, Bolleli and Trussel. There is a probably a connection there somewhere….

13. In all honesty total man crush on Russel Brand after seeing this. It’s a shame so few people who watch that morning show will get what he was saying.

14. Jonas Planck | Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 pm |

Owned them creeps like a WITCH DOCTAH! I can think of ONE messianic figure that won’t be invited back on our show!

15. hes called a pressure valve. we’re allowed to let out a little steam like in (near)pointless protests and on message boards on the internet. otherwise, we’d revolt. trust me, they got psychological technicians planning this shit, knowing how much shit we can take without revolting.
    but, yeah, hearing someone that seems honest really makes the fakes more obviously what they are- fake.

16. Bruteloop | Jun 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm |

Like shooting fish in a barrel. But I still can’t get past the dumb celeb wedding and micro marriage. Or his voice.

17. Microhero | Jun 23, 2013 at 7:44 am |

I just felt sorry for them really..

Interesting to see how they loose all ability to function and become blabbering bags of meat when confronted with something real and completely out of their narrow window over the world. If he was able to reach 0.01% of people watching to wake the fuck up I consider that a big win for sanity.

18. Great_Ape | Jun 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm |

I think it’s less a case that Brand is quick-fire smart (although he’s no slouch) but rather that the three presenters are well-groomed, vacuous idiots…..