Former Facebook Security Chief Left To Join NSA in 2010

facebook security chiefOn the symbiotic relationship increasingly being revealed between government intelligence agencies and internet corporations, Facecrooks writes:

In another twist in what was already a complicated story about Facebook’s involvement in the National Security Agency’s PRISM wiretapping technology, the New York Times revealed that Max Kelly, Facebook’s former security chief, left the site in 2010 and joined the NSA.

“Mr. Kelly’s move to the spy agency, which has not previously been reported, underscores the increasingly deep connections between Silicon Valley and the agency and the degree to which they are now in the same business,” the Times wrote. “Both hunt for ways to collect, analyze and exploit large pools of data about millions of Americans.”

As Max Kelly’s move to the NSA in 2010 illustrates, the ties between government agencies and the country’s biggest tech companies is strong.

14 Comments on "Former Facebook Security Chief Left To Join NSA in 2010"

1. Ted Heistman | Jun 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

Appears to have a sickly pallor to his face. Hmmm…..

• What do you think, smack? Or is it the background and lack of makeup?

• Ted Heistman | Jun 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm |

Maybe he has no soul.

• That is if souls exist, but maybe you are onto something. Maybe he’s possessed by paranormal evil? I half kid, but I imagine one may have to have some sort of disconnect to be able to sell out the rest of the world. Maybe a great rationalization, like this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you but it’s a necessity. Could be the pay too.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm |

I have witnessed people make certain decisions and kind of lose the twinkle in their eyes. You know like addicts and stuff. I think people get hurt by doing things they are conflicted about.

• I think so too. I’ve quit jobs making pretty good money, because I realized that the company I was working for did not match my ethics.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm |

right, so the possibility of making a different choice was there.

• I didn’t have another job lined up, and I would probably be living much more comfortably today. However, I didn’t have a gun pointed at my head, or some other imminent risk.

2. Mr. Kelly’s move to the spy agency, which has not previously been
    reported, underscores the increasingly deep connections between Silicon
    Valley and the agency and the degree to which they are now in the same
    business,” the Times wrote.

It’s a possible link, nothing more.

3. BuzzCoastin | Jun 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm |

he was at the NSA before FB
    just doesn’t get a double paycheck anymore
    but he did get a FB payday

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 25, 2013 at 12:29 am |

this is the kind of stuff I’d liked tracked down by the NSA
      if they were targeting spam bot networks
      I’d be all NSA all the way

4. lilbear68 | Jun 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm |

FB got its start from a fed grant and its been a open book data mine for any agency that want to use it
    IMHO its was 1 of the reasons that it was so hard to totaly eliminate your account once

5. Good, another reason not to use FB. I am sure, that we can find similar connectinos with Google. I don;t use them for anything, either.