Nestlé Responds to Abby Martin

On this episode of Breaking the Set, Abby Martin features a video message by Nestlé, which the company made in direct response to a recent report Abby made about the company. She responds to points made in the video, and sets the record straight on the company’s claims. Watch the original report here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6ZXOv5tHA

Abby Martin

Abby Martin

Creator at The Empire Files
Creator The Empire Files on teleSUR, Founder Media Roots, BOD Project Censored & Former Host Breaking the Set
Abby Martin

50 Comments on "Nestlé Responds to Abby Martin"

1. Abby Martin is about as charismatic as Richard Metzger. Lazy sarcasm goes a long way to charm people.

2. Jin The Ninja | Jun 26, 2013 at 7:17 pm |

abby is a boss.

hopefully no misogyny will find its way on this post…

• Hopefully no scrutiny against a woman gets confused with misogyny.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm |

when you ‘drag’ out tired old lines about how someone may be in bed, and rely heavily on gender stereotypes- that is in fact misogynist and not an effectual critique- actually it means you have no critique if you have to rely on such methods.

but like your hero bill maher, i’m sure you too, will confuse woman bashing with legitimate criticism.

• Incorrect. I did not drag out any comment of the sort, rather responded to someone who posted something in my comment thread with a joke. Don’t ignore context.

Second, not being satisfied with one person’s critique of another person does not mean I’m a fan of that person, let alone find them to be my ‘hero.’ Don’t make things up.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm |

i never charged you with the aforementioned comment(s)-

but i stand with what i said-

that thread very quickly descended into a testo-fueled bro-fest that i wanted no part of.

99% of all criticism on that specific thread was related to her pronunciation of maher’s surname- that’s pedantic; however it was totally unnecessary to resort to cat calling- and if that was the BEST you or anyone else could do- that’s not critique and quite pathetic.

• She spoke as she is well-versed with Maher’s opinion and his show, in a highly critical piece. Despite this, she isn’t well-versed enough to know how the man himself pronounces his name. You call it pedantic, I call it a sign of being intellectually lazy and of phoning it in.

As for you being a white knight and coming to her defense, I don’t think she needs other people writing for her. Well, actually…

• I saw the mispronunciation as deliberate. Your nit-picking about it as petty, and really stupid. Now get over it.

• Is it more, or less petty than trolling people by deliberately mispronouncing their name?

• It’s not what I would do, but I don’t have a show. I am sure she had her reasons. What’s more offensive? Abby Martin mispronouncing Bill Maher’s last name, or Bill Maher accepting 30 silver?

I’ve already made my choice.

• Well, I’m not sure. I don’t follow the guy. But I find RT compelling enough, but they seem to be going through the downward spiral of sensationalism every news media eventually gets sucked into.

• It’s entertainment.

• Rhoid Rager | Jun 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm |

And that statement defines what type of criticism has been leveled here. It’s art criticism, not political criticism. She certainly does a good job of fact finding (although, I imagine she has research assistants); but if media is entertainment posing as information, then strictly on the entertainment side her presentation style is lacking in ways that aren’t worth going into here–but dragline was beginning to approach some in his critique the other day. I’d rather receive my information from internet articles and books, than a presentation style I find personally unpalatable. This isn’t negating her efforts to uncover injustice, but there are plenty of anonymous fact-finders and article-writers that go wholly ignored (let alone praised).

As for the misogyny; I’m guilty too. But if factual neutrality is sought within the presentation, then employing tight miniskirts and whole-body camera shots to show us the legs is gratuitous and counterproductive to the task at hand. We all strive to overcome our horomone-fuel’d beastial tendencies, but life is about give and take.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 am |

you’re mistaken, i’m not a ‘white’ anything- nor a knight (see the name).

and i doubt the guilty parties on the other thread needed you to rebuff charges of misogyny that were clearly present, but here we are.

• Jin, I see you’re desperate to make something out of nothing, but I’ll clarify:

“when you ‘drag’ out tired old lines about how someone may be in bed”

You can’t expect me to not take personally what you went out of your way to highlight, my screenname. It was in my own defense, not others.

But if I were rebuffing charges for the other parties, I would say not every stupid joke based in gender is a misogynistic attack.

• Apathesis | Jun 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm |

She was probably sarcastic when she pronounced that way. You know, getting someone’s name wrong on purpose because you don’t like them.

I agree, Jin. The tone of the comments on that page were out of line.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 pm |

God forbid some heterosexual male will find her attractive!

• Is liking a woman a form of hating her?

• Ted Heistman | Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm |

Only if you think she is pretty, apparently.

• I’ve never gotten the impression Jin believes that.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm |

if you comment solely on her physical appearance, that is not in any way objectionable ( at least to me). it’s when a comment takes on the tone of objectification and mocking that i have a problem with.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm |

Well, she’s no ArundHOTTIE Roy.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 28, 2013 at 3:04 pm |

yeah because someone calling her ‘brillo-headed’ is not in the least racist or objectifying.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 29, 2013 at 1:46 pm |

I never called her that.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 30, 2013 at 11:53 am |

never said you did. was simply to referring to a quote that exemplifies the tone and character of that thread.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm |

As I recall I said she was Hot and reminded me of a cross between Amy Goodman and Selma Hyeck. You took umbrage to that and said I was dragging the conversation down to “the lowest common denominator”

I just felt like if some gay guy said some dude “was hot” I wouldn’t give a shit, so why should you act all offended if I say some woman is hot? I still don’t really understand it. I understand you are an a left wing socialist anarchist and stand up for the oppressed and all that, and I am cool with that, but really guys finding women attractive seems to be a pretty minor “atrocity” these days with drones killing people at weddings and so forth.

• Calypso_1 | Jun 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm |

Hot babes of drone strikes!

[inserts inappropriate image of crispy wedding]

There. I have taken the onus of offense.

• Calypso_1 | Jun 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm |

In my experience, yes.

• Is liking a man a form of hating him?

• Calypso_1 | Jun 28, 2013 at 1:04 pm |

Hatred I have experienced towards men, whose primary & original acquaintance was positive, occurred at such distant time intervals from the initiation of said interactions with such extended complications of circumstances that I can not readily attribute, in my own case, the like->hate transition as a primary variable causality.

However, in my experience hating a man is usually a form of liking him.

• Perhaps we should finally do away with all that spiritual bullshit about love being good and hatred being evil.

• Calypso_1 | Jun 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

I have.

• Calypso_1 | Jun 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm |

Some of the most destructive elements in my life have been the persons I have loved.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm |

from your previous posts, i infer that you’re nowhere near daft enough to believe that was my meaning.

3. Holy crap this is creepy. Don’t believe what the concerned citizens tell you, trust us, get your information from us.

4. Antediluviancurrent | Jun 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm |

Is that Nestlé lady on soma?

5. BuzzCoastin | Jun 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm |

I’m waiting for Farfel the Dog to speak about this

N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlé’s makes the very best…
    Choc’-late

6. Cortacespedes | Jun 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm |

So, how long until they start charging fish toll fees?

7. She’s pretty fit.

8. trompe l'oiel | Jun 27, 2013 at 10:55 am |

firstly @dragline, I love your profile picture.

as for Abby, when you spit out that water I nearly cleared my bladder. Please, never stop being able to smile in the face of disgusting evil.

for everyone else…
    Buy an R.O. filter, get a re-mineralization process, and within 2 years the health and money saved will far outweigh the initial down payment. Can’t put a price on health.

I Love the way Abby verbally punishes people that are disingenuous.

I fear being on the receiving end of one of her verbal smack downs, and honestly, I don’t fear much at all. *shudders*

9. Will Coles | Jun 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm |

Nestle’s always been morally & ethically bankrupt, especially with it’s marketing of powdered baby milk formula to Third World countries. No surprise that they’re now trying to steal communities water. It shows how out of touch they are with this very unsubtle attempt at a ‘we care’ (dis)information film that encapsulates all the corporate fakeness they are.