What Will Humanity Look Like In 100,000 Years?

look like in 10,000 years

Obviously, this rendering is largely speculation, but I agree that humanity will likely spend the foreseeable future trying to turn ourselves into anime characters. Via the New York Daily News:

In 100,000 years, people might have larger heads and sideways-blinking oversized Disney eyes that glow green with cat-like night vision. At least, that is what two researchers say could happen in “one possible timeline.”

Artist Nickolay Lamm teamed up with computational geneticist Alan Kwan to envision a future where zygotic genome engineering technology develops to the point where humans will be able to control their own evolution.

This ability, the team says, could result in more facial features that humans find intrinsically attractive: strong lines, straight nose, intense eyes and perfect symmetry. Kwan thinks that the human head might expand to accommodate a larger brain.

But perhaps their most remarkable conjecture is that future humans could start to blink sideways like owls to “protect from cosmic ray effects,” they added.

74 Comments on "What Will Humanity Look Like In 100,000 Years?"

1. Anarchy Pony | Jun 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm |

In 100,000 years we’ll either be singularified into robotified robochines, or be GMO’d into various science fiction alien species. Or probably just extinct. Of course I suppose either of those first two outcomes essentially means we will be technically extinct anyway.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm |

I thinking “Gray Aliens” if we live long enough. Then we’ll start hassling our primitive past selves…like the future “us” is already doing.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm |

Whoa! Infinite regress in the comments section! Nice verbal moebius strip!

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 10, 2013 at 5:37 pm |

I’ve wondered that sometimes myself, that maybe the greys aren’t really aliens at all, but time travelling humans from several thousand years in the future. (If it’s not totally bullshit).

• Matt Staggs | Jun 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm |

Maybe there’s point where things like “time” and “space” become irrelevant to the technological capacity of humanity.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm |

I read that interview with Alan Moore, about time being a fourth dimension like space, equating it with a film strip that doesn’t move just our consciousness moves around it giving the illusion of time and…I am not ready to buy it. I think the future is indeterminate. I think if you are say, a tadpole, predicting you will someday be a frog is a pretty safe bet. But as far as human free will, I think it is actually free. Maybe not in an unlimited way but i think choice to change the future does exist.

I have been reading a lot of existentialists and it makes sense.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 11, 2013 at 8:37 am |

I think the future in light of human free will is semi-determinate. Like a video game, there are “A” and “B” endings in life down to “E” endings, and opposing forces constantly battling to push us either way, as per the nature of good and evil. Clearly, to me, things are not happening randomly.

I think it is weird the amount of effort that goes into our lives as humans; the kind of grace that is shown to the average person like me, for indeterminate reasons. When you realize how much God cares, it occurs that it’s really, really nice of God and his angels to ‘give us the time of day.’

As for time loops, I am completely subject so any speculation is academic.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm |

Well We are either on our own or in some type of school. In the second model we are caterpillars or tadpoles, in the first, fully adult, but orphans. I vacillate between these two ideas. Maybe we are tadpoles deciding what we want to be.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm |

lol, nice

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm |

Me too. Free will makes existing worthwhile. No doubt it is brought into question philosophically as a reflection of the easy manipulation and controllability of the masses.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:34 am |

But how would you know if you have free will or not? The answer is you cannot possibly know. You may think you’re making choices of your own free will, but you have no idea whether those choices are really your own or if you were fated to make those choices.

There is literally NO WAY to know whether free will actually exists or not with our current level of knowledge.

Do NOT try to turn this into some conspiracy theory about the masses being controlled by the media. That is a completely separate conversation.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:48 am |

Well, basically you are saying: “Can I trust my immediate experience, or is it trumped by some force I can never understand?”

To me that is more or less meaningless. I mean am I alive or do I only “seem” alive? I can never know the answer to that question either. Can I see objects or do i only “seem” to see objects?

In my experience, I have the ability to make choices and affect the future. I witness others doing the same. I try different things and experience different outcomes I can copy others actions and achieve similar results. For example weight loss. Some person may be fat, they might even think it is their “fate” to be fat. Many people feel bad about being fat and may suffer heart disease, diabetes etc. They may want to lose weight but never do. Yet, others “defy fate” and lose wight. They go against probabilities and make a choice.

I think we all possess free will but very often we choose to go with inertia.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm |

No, actually. Your analogy is not at all apt. We know you’re alive. We can measure your vital signs, and by doing so know whether you’re alive or not(ignoring Cogito ergo sum for the time being). There is NO WAY of knowing whether we have free will or not. The only way to know such a thing would be to be an outside observer, and since we live in four dimensional space, we cannot be outside observers.

Don’t confuse philosophy with science. They are not the same thing.

Your experience is limited, and thus you cannot know you have free will. You have not made alternative choices, you’ve made a single choice. Other potential outcomes are unknowable to you. You can perform a different action in a similar circumstance, however, you cannot erase or overwrite your previous choice.

Your weight loss analogy is not apt either. Weight loss has 0 correlation to whether free will exists or not. And your last sentence makes no sense at all.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 14, 2013 at 1:52 am |

I just said free-will makes existing worthwhile. You have to understand that even our philosophical enquiries are severely limited. But you raise some good philosophical conundrums. True free-will means we not only control our actions but everybody else’s actions too.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm |

Yeah, losing 100 lbs after a lifetime of obesity takes no will at all. You make perfect sense.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:31 am |

Whether you buy it or not, that is what the theory of relativity suggests. Alan Moore didn’t invent the concept, he was just explaining it for people who can’t grasp the science. But in his explanation, time isn’t an illusion. It just isn’t a physical dimension. Essentially, we see in 3 dimensions, but exist in a 4 dimensional universe. In Moores view(if you’re paraphrasing him correctly), choice is an illusion, but time is real.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:38 am |

I like to think of snail shells and trees as 4 dimensional objects. By tracing the spiral or counting the rings you can trace the dimension of time.

So I don’t totally discount the idea just certain applications of it.

• Spiral time… Reminds me of Yeats.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm |

They are no more 4 dimensional objects than our own bodies. They grow over time, but that doesn’t make them a fourth dimensional construct.

The fourth dimension is temporal, not physical. You’re thinking in simplistic terms.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm |

this was actually the final concept of Arthur C Clarke’s novel ‘2001’ that the fetal soul of the astronaut that entered into the obelisk on Iapetus was given the role of demiurge toward the planet earth which had just been ravaged by nuclear war. not the same as the movie and explained a LOT more.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm |

I have to go back and reread that one of these days. I think I was maybe 14 when I read it.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 11, 2013 at 7:01 pm |

That’s about the age I first saw the movie, complete nonsense. I saw it again later, but didn’t really get it until I read the book about 6 years ago.

I like to quote my uncle “the only movie that was ever better than the book was Jaws.”

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm |

Perish the thought…

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm |

Well its not bullshit that millions of people have experienced abductions and interactions by these beings, It may be bullshit that they are aliens from outer-space. And no doubt their experience is shaped by the culture. My hunch is that a lot of the cases is DMT releasing into the brain allowing access to the ‘aliens’ that exist all around us inter-dimensionally.

I think we are being observed by time-travelling humans. If we pass the planetary test we can leave the nature reserve.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:35 am |

There is no solid evidence that ANYONE has EVER been abducted by aliens. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless unless it’s supported by something solid. People making claims that they cannot support is not evidence of anything.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 14, 2013 at 2:05 am |

People making claims about things can be doing it for attention. That doesn’t explain the large collective experiences being reported privately to psychologist’s and psychiatrists. You cant deny that there are internal structures in the mind and it is in fact VERY meaningful to investigate and understand what they may be and how they work.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:28 am |

Yes… And maybe monkeys will fly out of our butts.

• charlotte9 | Jun 10, 2013 at 10:16 pm |

I know! Future-Us is such a jerk…

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:27 am |

It always makes me laugh how people like yourself present you opinion as though it’s fact. “I believe aliens are actually us visiting from the future. Thus it’s true.”

• I believe making you laugh was the point. So his presentation was the correct one.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm |

I really hope that’s the case. Sadly I’ve seen this “argument” presented too many times as a persons true position to assume it’s a joke this time.

• Technically they’re the present, not the future, and we’re the past, not the present.

2. Ted Heistman | Jun 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm |

Philosophically, in I think what’s called the “tragic” view of history, there is no such thing as progress, but there is an idea of human perfectibility. The idea is balance. So excelling in any one area too much throws the whole homeostasis out of whack.

I think a lot of recent human evolution, amounts to some things very similar to the effects of domestication. I mean is a pink pig superior to a wild boar? Is a poodle superior to a Wolf is a Holstein superior to a wild Aurochs?

What if in the future, somebody figured out out how to rule the World as a reconstruction of our Cro-magnon ancestors? 6’5″ with a huge brain and built like a Middle Linebacker? I tend to think Aristotle was onto something, in his portrait of the man of Megalopsychia.

Possibly these highly specialized humanoids are only the slaves of the future.

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm |

Those pigs go feral real easy if they escape into the wild, and basically revert into boars, it’s pretty crazy.

But if you think about the whole way that various sorts of personality are essentially being treated as mental disease and being “corrected”, like opposition defiant disorder, or the way that indigenous people are divorced from their lands and lifestyles and forced to assimilate, it is in a lot of ways like a domestication program being inflicted.

• Ted Heistman | Jun 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm |

Yeah, I think in many ways it is. And Peoples that can’t be domesticated get eradicated.

• charlotte9 | Jun 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm |

“Neoteny”…dogs are permanent “wolf pups”, as human “teenage” years are extended into the mid-30’s…large eyes and large heads are traits of human babies…child beauty pageants…”twee” indie kids and “doll” you-tubers…

It all starts to get really creepy…

Some traits of perma-childhood / domestication: inability to think for one’s self, obedience, friendly playfulness. Enjoy your Google Goggles; I’m heading for a game of Centrifugal Bumble-puppy…

3. kowalityjesus | Jun 10, 2013 at 6:45 pm |

Has anyone seen the episode of Batman Beyond where the cool thing for teens to do in the future is to modify their eyes to look like cats or get horns like a bull? Its funny I was just thinking about that a couple days ago.

Aside from HOW or WHY we will desire to alter our genetic code in the future, it will be a long process of trial and error with many, many failures before any foundational precedent is established. Those failures will be ‘human beings’, mind you.

• Adamas Macalz | Jun 10, 2013 at 11:21 pm |

Most medical advancements are made that way. people use to kill themselves to avoid even minor surgeries, then we came up with working anesthetics… like it or not to have any medical advancement somebody somewhere is going to play Russian roulette

• Matt Staggs | Jun 11, 2013 at 9:53 am |

I haven’t seen that, but apropos of nothing, I’ve always had this thought that at some point the one percent will start having their arms lopped off as a status symbol: “Look how wealthy I am: I don’t even have to feed or wipe myself. I’ve got ‘people’ for that.”

• Calypso_1 | Jun 11, 2013 at 11:34 am |

Oral podophillia w/ future Bobby looks like quite an experience.

• Calypso_1 | Jun 11, 2013 at 11:45 am |

Hey, sorry matt. Disqus has essentially become unusuable on my mobile on this site. Getting lack of coordination between GUI & touch screen. ( only disinfo since upgrades)

• Most medical progress is made by trial and error… people use to kill themselves to avoid even minor surgeries before we came up with some effective anesthetics. Like it or not to make any progress medically, somebody somewhere is going to have to play russian roulette… I think it’s worth it, and I’m someone who can see the merit in both arguments(as someone who switches periodically between high levels of empathy and a complete lack of it).

• kowalityjesus | Jun 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm |

good, you can be our first man-fly genetic hybrid. I will have the virus implanted with the requisite genetic code in my basement laboratory and I can send you the serum by friday. You can then party this weekend on a pile of poop or rotting animal corpse.

• and it would go something like this, either it would be successful mutation and I would suffer no negative consequences(except for the intended mutation itself) or it wouldn’t and I would probably die some horrible agonizing death, or worse live as some unintended fly/human form… then they would just try it on someone else, and through that process, eventually our species will become something more. no point in personalizing it. besides we all have to die, might as well make dying mean something, even if it’s something as banal as progress.

4. RefuseResistRevolt | Jun 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm |

So we’ll all look like bad photoshops? Sorry guys, but I think you kind
    of forgot to really use your imagination here…besides if technology
    continues to advance exponentially, even for a fraction of that time,
    we’ll be able to look any way we want not confined by any genetic traits
    at all…good try though, now back to Computer Art 101 with you.

5. BuzzCoastin | Jun 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm |

In 100,000 years
    well, what did humans look like 100,000 years ago:
    ‘According to the Recent African Ancestry theory, modern humans evolved in Africa possibly from Homo heidelbergensis, Homo rhodesiensis or Homo antecessor and migrated out of the continent some 50,000 to 100,000 years ago, replacing local populations of Homo erectus, Homo denisova, Homo floresiensis and Homo neanderthalensis.’

Sounds like humans 100K years from
    will be a new species
    maybe, Homo smarterthanthelastbunch

6. InfvoCuernos | Jun 11, 2013 at 12:26 am |

in the future, we will all be Manga.

7. bobbiethejean | Jun 11, 2013 at 10:29 am |

If I could genetically engineer myself to look like this kind of a being: (Caution, naked boobies ahead) http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/042/3/e/character_study__temptress_by_bobbie_the_jean-d363zp1.jpg I totally would. In a heartbeat. I don’t even care if anyone thinks I’m a freakazoid, I WANT A TAIL, DAMNIT! Yeah, ok, taking care of it might be a pain in the ass but then again, by the time such technology is available, (if we don’t blow ourselves up first) my tail would probably take care of itself! 😛

• Ted Heistman | Jun 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm |

hmmm…I find it strangely attractive.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 13, 2013 at 9:37 pm |

Is it dem child bearin’ hips? Or perhaps the pert, supple, nice round boobies? Maybe it’s that !@#$%^&* AWESOME TAIL OMG I WANT ONE. *cough* Sorry. The boobs, I could resist. Those hips, difficult to ignore…. extremely difficult. But stick a tail like that in front of me and I my will shall waver!

• my childhood dream of growing up to be a dragon may finally come true lol.

• King Of Bob | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:39 am |

Why in the hell would humans evolve into foxhuman hybrids?

We already have the genetic markers for a tail, it’s just “off.” We do not however, have the genetic markers for fox earstailsfur.

• You just broke some furry’s heart.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm |

Not really. He doesn’t have a point. If we ever get to the point where we can totally control out own evolution (which we are already taking the first steps) some people would want to look like this and if nothing was stopping them, why wouldn’t they? It’s really that simple.

• Nothing is ever “really that simple.”

Nothing.

Ever.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 13, 2013 at 11:26 pm |

Now you’re just being pointlessly contrarian because I’ve made a point you don’t have an answer for. The fact is, that guy completely missed the point I was making which was NOT to say that humans will evolve into big bootied fox hybrids but that someday, we may gain such control over our evolution as to be able to take on the appearance we want.

• No, I’m being pointlessly contrarian because I’ve been joking the whole time and am wondering when you’ll catch on.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 14, 2013 at 10:29 am |

How should I know? XD There’s no sarcasm font and that shit doesn’t always come across well over the interbutts. :p

• I thought my initial comment was obviously silly, but then there are people who seriously think obviously silly things.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 14, 2013 at 11:50 am |

Or maybe I simply misinterpreted your sentiment because the internet is full of way more assholes than non-assholes.

• I see nothing mutually exclusive about those two possibilities.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm |

“Why in the hell would humans evolve into foxhuman hybrids?”

Because some might want to? By natural evolution currently described as change in allele frequency caused by genetic drift, sexual selection, and environmental attrition, no, this would never happen. But humans may someday gain such control over our evolution that we could choose to look like this if we so wanted. What such technology would entail (Get it? Entail? HAR HAR HAR. I crack myself up.) or if it will ever even be possible, I have no idea. But I’d be willing to bet that if we don’t destroy the planet first or wipe ourselves out, given enough time and scientific advancement, this or something comparable would be possible.

So there.

• bobbiethejean | Jun 16, 2013 at 9:19 am |

I answered your question very eloquently, I must say, but Disinfo ate it for some reason. I’m not sure why. There was nothing objectionable in the comment. To recap in extreme brevity: Humans would not evolve to this naturally but we could if we gained control over our evolution.

8. Came for the Margaret Keane reference, leaving satisfied.
    “Kwan thinks that the human head might expand to accommodate a larger brain.”
    Just as the planet ‘might’ expand to accommodate a larger population by then.

9. Julian Kachi | Jun 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |

Say What? There will be no humanity in a few years…. Don’t you see Natural, Human and Spiritual Disasters all around you indicating an approach of total destruction. See this CATHOLIC END TIEMS, Global Warming Prophecy, False Prophet finally explained properly, UFO deceptions…and much more: http://catholicguidance.blogspot.ca/