Atheist Monument Erected At Florida Courthouse

atheist monumentThe organization American Atheists had sued to have the Ten Commandments removed from the front of the county courthouse in Stark, Florida. But instead, in a historic turn of events, it was told that it could have its own monument. Via the Washington Post:

A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.

As a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved “Honk for Jesus” signs, the atheists celebrated what they believe is the first atheist monument allowed on government property in the United States.

The 1,500-pound granite bench bears quotes from Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Madalyn Murray O’Hair. It also has a list of gruesome Old Testament punishments for violating the Ten Commandments, including death and stoning.

, , , , , ,

30 Responses to Atheist Monument Erected At Florida Courthouse

1. jamal iraqi July 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

That’s provocative but still not as provocative, insulting, harming, immoral and destructive as religion is and will be for a very long time.. I think atheists should be proud of such an achievement but I hope they always stand be the better ones by not adopting a dogmatic attitude..

• Jazz July 8, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Well, they lost that stance as the “better ones” by fighting for a piece of stone that says they are better than religion instead of actually using the money to further society.

• jamal iraqi July 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

They are better than religion.. Seeing that nobody ever got killed in the name of atheism compared to millions who die in the name of god everyday. At least they tolerate being questioned and criticized.

Religious people and many believers of different faiths should learn not to be provocative, may be then they wont have to see such behavior happen in-front of their eyes..

2. Antediluviancurrent July 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

A giant fedora would have been much better.

3. Adamas Macalz July 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

“a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved “Honk for Jesus” signs”

Well that was an intelligent response… Congrats to atheist on the victory

• Jazz July 8, 2013 at 8:26 am #

What victory? I don’t care how someone views the world as long as it doesn’t intrude into my life, as such I try not to do the same. Why do Atheists and Christians alike feel the need to shove their religion/cultural views down other peoples throat?

What is the purpose of putting a piece of granite somewhere that basically says “If you support prayer you are dumb because that doesn’t solve anything.”? If a person prays, wtf does it matter to you?

• mopsyd July 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Every momentous human achievement in history occurred because some group of idiots started telling everyone else they were stupid if they didn’t think the same way. Most of those momentous human achievements occurred due to religion, or some other such personal belief that should not matter to anyone else.

• Jazz July 17, 2013 at 5:05 am #

I’ll just put up the “rhetorical question sign” next time….

4. Ubelsteiner July 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Christians look for any reason to protest

• Dingbert July 4, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Well, you know, Protestants . . .

5. Jeffrey Brown July 4, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

I wonder how that shoe is feeling on the other foot? ;-)

6. DeepCough July 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

I have great idea for another atheist monument.

YOUR NATIVITY SCENE IS,
    AT THE VERY LEAST,
    HISTORICALLY INACCURATE
    .”

7. jnana July 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

an atheist believes in imposing his will onto you,

• Andrew July 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Which atheist?

• JaceD July 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Ironic, seeing as I don’t have atheists waking me up on a Saturday morning wanting to share “the good word” with me.

• Microhero July 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Neither monument should be there, but we’re all damned to hell anyway, so let us have the same right of “spreading the word” as any , after a few thounsands of years of having others’ being “imposed” onto us , it’s just about time!

• echar July 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Maybe the evangelical atheists, but I doubt they’ll tell you that you’re going to hell. Too bad we are already there, but that’s another matter.

• Jazz July 8, 2013 at 8:31 am #

There are people from all walks of life that impose their will upon others. I’ve known more religious people to tell me that i am going to hell than atheists telling me I’m going to fall in a volcano for my beliefs.

8. JaceD July 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

I find it funny that atheists (at least this particular movement) in the States feel this monument necessary. Surely atheism / theism isn’t that big of a deal over there?

9. Rhoid Rager July 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

They may be atheists, but they’re certainly not iconoclasts. What a shame ‘atheism’ has to be proselytized so fervently.

• reason July 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

I think it’s slightly ironic that the words atheism, proselytized, and shame are used in the same sentence considering religion has been doing the same and worse, much, much worse for thousands of years. One atheist stands up for reason and that person is called a militant whereas one person stands up for ignorance and they are called a prophet. The person who opposes religion is condemned for being anti-religious and abusive, whereas on the other side of the coin the person who opposes atheism is praised. Congrats for standing up for the ultimate double standard.

10. Dingbert July 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

This is all fine and good conceptually, but it seems unnecessary. People from NJ and DC suing a tiny FL county? What’s it to ‘em? Did any locals actually demand this?

Maybe it’s just inadequate reporting. Based on the article, though, I’d also be out there with a “Yankees Go Home” sign. Better yet, show up at both monument unveilings with a sign that says “Get the hell off my lawn!”

11. Mike Notlisted July 4, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

Atheism is just as ignorant as the Abrahamic systems. They are arrogant enough to say they know there is no spirituality or divine force. Doesn’t seem too different than a Christian saying they know the bible to be truth.

12. Mike Lewinski July 8, 2013 at 9:45 am #

The court that allowed this has opened a can of worms.

Every group that could conceivably have their own monument needs to press their case now and fill that courthouse lawn. At the very least, I expect monuments from Unitarians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Taoists, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Krishnas, Pastafarians and Jedis. If we allow individual sects of the major religions their own monuments, the county won’t have to worry about landscaping costs for the lawn ever again.

13. James Smith July 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Those heartless atheists. They insist upon always telling the truth and backing it up with verifiable facts. Don’t they understand that those are very unfair tactics when dealing with the willfully ignorant religious reich?

14. emperorreagan July 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I wish they had actually bothered to build a nice monument.

I guess one shouldn’t expect much from an organization that seems to primarily invest in anti-religious billboards. That focus makes the quote from O’Hair funny, though, in its attempt to contrast what an atheist believes versus what a theist believes.

Looks like they’re just competing with Christians who are inexplicably fixated on the ten commandments for shittiest monument.

15. lockewasright July 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

The Ten Commandments on a publicly funded facility represents a government endorsement. The court’s. decision should be appealed.

16. JaceD July 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

America is infamous for being a near zealous Christian country, but it’s hard to judge how extensive the power and popularity of the American Christian faith truly is. The world loves to hate America, which is why there are such fervent stereotypes of Americans- Fat, lazy, stupid and hardcore Bible bashes. Obviously these stereotypes aren’t true, which is why I’m almost surprised that atheists in the States need to make bold statements about being atheist. Most Western countries don’t give a shit what anyone believes, as long as no one’s being an asshole about it.

17. Mike Notlisted July 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Agree that religions are mostly false. I think Atheism is also false. I
    have almost as little respect for these ass clowns who went to the
    trouble to put up this monument as I do for the Christians who
    protested it. Both are different groups of attention whores putting
    their energies into dust.

18. Mike Notlisted July 8, 2013 at 5:57 am #

Agreed that Atheism is not a religion. Although I perceive their construction of this monument as proselytizing. I see them as acting similarly to religions they are against. Hopefully the Abrahamic religions will be gone while humanity still exists but I would rather put my energy towards not depending on world governments for food or water so I can further feel separated from those people rather than using the same system that supports their rights to make some bland adversarial statement against them.