Coffee May Prevent Suicidal Thoughts

coffee2I’ve heard many people say that they can’t live without their coffee. Turns out that there may be more truth to that than they know, although in my case, lack of coffee tends to bring on homicidal feelings.

Via PopSci:

According to a new study by the Harvard School of Public Health, subjects who drank two to four cups of coffee daily were 50 percent less likely to commit suicide. This was observed in comparison to those who drink decaffeinated, very little, or no coffee.

Researchers examined data from three U.S. studies evaluating coffee and overall caffeine intake every four years. This included 43,599 men enrolled in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (1988-2008), 73,820 women in the Nurses’ Health Study (1992-2008) and 91,005 women in the Nurses’ Health Study II (1993-2007). The subjects shared information about their caffeine intake via questionnaires, and the studies involved 277 cases of suicide.

Read the rest of the story and then go chat up that cute barista… for mental health reasons.

, ,

8 Responses to Coffee May Prevent Suicidal Thoughts

1. Ted Heistman July 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Well, at least you don’t have it as bad as this guy, Matt:

2. DeepCough July 27, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

In this day and age, you’d have to be crazy (or Mormon) not to drink coffee!

• Haystack July 28, 2013 at 10:14 am #

I’ve given up caffeine completely. I don’t think helped me to wake up, per se–it just created a dependency. The caffeine/sugar rush it gave me was more of a non-productive mania than useful alertness, and tended to exacerbate my pre-existing anxiety issues.

The withdrawal was long and hellish, and that by itself gives me reason not to take it up again.

• DeepCough July 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Yeah, that’s what I experienced when I drank shitty, namebrand
        coffee. What you want is the good, all natural (organic, if you can
        afford it) coffee not produced by any major coffee-shop chain.

3. Anarchy Pony July 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

But I hate coffee…

4. Calypso_1 July 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Every fucking day.

5. Haystack July 28, 2013 at 1:06 am #

People who drink coffee are usually trying to stay awake for a job, school, etc. They have stuff going on outside of themselves, demanding their attention, and that’s why they need caffeine. People who don’t have that, don’t seek out stimulants.

My sense is that if you control for conflating factors like employment, parenthood, etc., that the opposite might even be true. What prevents a lot of people from committing suicide is simply that they lack the energy to carry it out.

6. Saint Eli July 28, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Theeeen what about Swedish people? Some of the heaviest coffee drinkers in the world. And I’m not sure if they are still number one in the suicide stakes, but they are certainly up there.
    Studies usually prove what they set out to prove.