The Telegraph combs through for some of the weirdest reports of UFOs by the public from formerly confidential files in the National Archive:
- A caller to MoD UFO hotline reports that he has been “living with an alien” in Carlisle for some time.
- A Cardiff man claimed a UFO abducted his dog, car and tent whilst he was camping with friends.
- A Coventry woman saw “two orange balls” hovering in her back garden in July 2008 after her Springer Spaniel “unusually ran back in”. Frightened by what she saw, she locked the door and reported her sighting to the UFO hotline, asking whether she and her pet could be contaminated as a result.
- A man, now living in the Netherlands, asked for the return of a cinefilm he said he had passed to two investigators in 1978, showing a UFO flying over his back garden in Romford. He said he had showed them where the craft had landed, and that the men had taken soil samples.
- A report of UFO sighting during the WWII – was lodged with the MoD in 2008. The member of the public – then aged 15 or 16 (he could not recall exactly) – reported seeing a “large saucer shaped object (with coloured lights all round its side) spinning around and hovering above Barking Station before speedily floating and spinning away” towards Dagenham.
- A resident in Havant, Hants, contacted the MoD in 2008 offering to set up a “discreet observation post” on a hill overlooking Portsmouth from which he was confident he could spot UFOs.
- A cigar-shaped object, about 80ft in length, and 30ft tall, orange in colour and with a rear, bright white light, was seen near the Royal Naval Air Station, at Yeovilton, Somerset.
- Ministry of Defence policemen reported seeing a pear-drop shaped “translucent” green light in the sky while on duty at Portsmouth naval base.