Mummy Analysis Reveals Drug Use By Sacrificed Inca Children

sacrificeFor the Incas, coca and alcohol served simultaneously as keys to the sacred and tools of coercion and control, National Geographic fascinatingly reports:

The bodies of 13-year-old Llullaillaco Maiden and her younger companions Llullaillaco Boy and Lightning Girl (three Inca mummies found near the lofty summit of Volcán Llullaillaco in Argentina) have revealed that mind-altering substances played a part in their deaths and during the year-long series of ceremonial processes that prepared them for their final hours.

Under biochemical analysis, the Maiden’s hair yielded a record of what she ate and drank during the last two years of her life. This evidence seems to support historical accounts of a few selected children taking part in a year of sacred ceremonies—marked in their hair by changes in food, coca, and alcohol consumption—that would ultimately lead to their sacrifice.

Her surging consumption of both coca and alcohol, which were then controlled substances not available for everyday use, show she appears to have been selected for sacrifice a year before her actual death: “We suspect the Maiden was one of the acllas, or chosen women, selected around the time of puberty to live away from her familiar society under the guidance of priestesses.”

47 Comments on "Mummy Analysis Reveals Drug Use By Sacrificed Inca Children"

1. badgerpit | Jul 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm |

It could very well be that Western minds do not understand the nature of consciousness and falsely label those who experience different kinds of realities via the conscious altering tools (drugs) in a negative way. There is more to being aware than what our 5 senses suggest but our limiting sciences ignore the signs.

• And perhaps drugs are not a way to truly experience different realities.

• badgerpit | Jul 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm |

Ah, a mind stuck in Western dogma. Could you explain to me why the brain produces DMT? Can you explain the nature of Shaman knowledge throughout history and cultures? Can you even tell me how realities are formed? Not all drugs are useful tools due to their numbing effect, such as alcohol (now you see why it’s legal), but others certainly allow access to other kinds of information not available in our current state of consciousness.

• What was the second word of my comment?

• badgerpit | Jul 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm |

Such wording is very non-commital. You use the word ‘perhaps’ but you insinuate your beliefs. I may or may not think that you are spineless.

So are you just putting words out there willy-nilly or do you have a thought on this?

• I expressed doubt, and you immediately accused me of being dogmatic. That smells to me of projection on your part.

For the record, I trust meditation and mindfulness as stepping stones to enlightenment more than I do drugs.

• badgerpit | Jul 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm |

I agree about meditation and mindfulness being part of the path. My comment is here by the way this article depicted drugs in the children of our past as it made an impression that this must be some form of abuse or something to that effect. But many cultures, even today (Peru for instance) do not share Western philosophy concerning the nature of drugs and even consider not giving their children certain ‘drugs’ a failing on their part. Also, I would be correct in my assertion that you would be dogmatic if you committed to your original post (instead of ‘perhaps’) but I honestly was not trying to project anything, only trying for healthy discussion on the matter. Maybe I am too quick to judge, my apologies.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 2:24 am |

What does “Western philosophy” actually have to say concerning the nature of drugs?

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm |

I am paraphrasing, but that chemicals can fix any and all problems of the human condition. ‘Western philosophy’ hasn’t met a disorder that they do not like (to profit off of). This particular mindset also has no real interest to heal its own society because a healthy society is not profitable.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm |

Aw, and I was hoping for some Nietzsche or Sartre quotes.

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm |

So? Don’t ever give up on hope, i guess.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm |

Kant? Rousseau? Not even a bit of Bertrand Russell?

• farbauti | Aug 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm |

Quite a lot.

Mostly starts with “do it!”, quickly devolves into “dont’ do it unless…” and then you get post-modernism.

• Actually your assertion would still be an unjustified assumption if I had committed, as there are Eastern spirituals who believe drugs lead to premature and unreliable enlightenment.

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm |

True, there are no short cuts. You have to do the work even with drugs involved.

• Ted Heistman | Aug 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm |

So do I have this right?

Everything Westerners have ever done, are doing now, and will do in the future is evil.
            Everything any indigenous culture did prior to European conquest was Good, including slavery, human sacrifice, rape etc.

Right?

• VaudeVillain | Aug 3, 2013 at 9:25 am |

That about sums up what many seem to believe.

Atrocity is one part of the human experience that everybody gets to inflict at some point.

• Ted Heistman | Aug 3, 2013 at 9:48 am |

Yeah, I mean don’t get me wrong I think we all could use more indigenous wisdom. But I think There needs to be a synthesis of the good of diverse cultures. Which hopefully that is happening.

• farbauti | Aug 2, 2013 at 6:30 pm |

Your agreement is neither needed nor welcome.

Re-assembling reality to fit your argument is fucking stupid.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:55 am |

Perhaps assuming meditation and mindfulness are at odds with psychedelic use is dogmatic. Perhaps meditation leads to the monastery and psychedelics lead to rehab and are in no way stepping stones to enlightenment. Then again that would be dogmatic to assume. Especially without personal experience.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:59 am |

Perhaps

• Perhaps.

• Calypso_1 | Jul 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm |

Can you show me where it has been proven the brain produces DMT?

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 1, 2013 at 2:51 am |

It was my understanding that DMT exists in various forms in the plant world. Although, I have a very topical understanding of it. I also was under the impression that DMT is produced in minute amounts by the pineal gland. Is this not the case? I don’t mean to come off as too lazy to do a Google search on it, but if you are aware of any links to clarify, please send them my way.

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 1, 2013 at 2:54 am |

Please don’t construe the above as me somehow placing the onus of proof on you. You’ve struck me as a very knowledgeable person about various things, so I assume your incredulity towards the intrasomatic production of DMT is based on something you may have come across in the past.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm |

your good. i was haranguing the poster a bit. The pineal schtick is tiresome.

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm |

‘pineal schtick’…lol…I know. I didn’t appreciate the poster’s prose either. It struck me as needlessly accusatory, and comprising 3 parts desperation to 1 part cogency.

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm |

could you expand your explanation on why you think it was ‘desperate’. I brought 3 things up from the top of my mind, is all.

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm |

If you’re looking for genuine critique, then how about this: it appears that your interlocutors noticed the sweeping generalizations, lack of nuance and baseless accusations of your posts, and they preyed upon them. This put you into an even more defensive position, and this wasn’t a pretty read overall. I seriously doubt that any of your interlocutors actually disagree with the general thrust of your comments; rather, they are most likely quite familiar with many of the arguments you put forward. They just weren’t satisfied with the delivery. I apologize for the awkwardness of making such things explicit, but you asked.

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm |

Hardly awkward at all. You have your opinion on things. cool.

• farbauti | Aug 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm |

And you sir, may fuck off on the nearest flagpole.

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm |

You missed a comma right before ‘sir’.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 2, 2013 at 10:44 pm |

Is it frozen?

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 3:06 am |

I can’t seem to ingest enough DMT for the fireworks. I’ve watched quite a few friends nod off, and heard their attempts to describe the otherworldly experience of the stuff. For me, it’s like a weak dose of nitrous oxide. 🙁

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 3:39 am |

Isn’t there kind of a Laura Palmer quality to the coca/ethanol regimen of our Incan maiden’s first and final teenaged year?

• Calypso_1 | Aug 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm |

: )
            I’ve long been interested in the connection between the extremes of psychotic (often ‘spirit’ inspired) behavior in our culture and there manifestations as acceptable ritual elements throughout history.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm |

We New Worlders have remarkably little knowledge of the nations that existed here before. Sometimes it seems there may be some “resonance” at work, cultural or otherwise, in the shadowy intersection of youth, drugs, and danger that might mirror the distant past.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 1, 2013 at 5:29 am |

There is no proof the human brain does… yet. It was an hypotheses put forward by Rick Strassman. And new evidence has favoured the theory.

Dmt has been found in the spinal fluid of humans for a long time. but recently its been found in the pineal gland of rats. http://www.cottonwoodresearch.org/dmt-pineal-2013/

• Rhoid Rager | Aug 1, 2013 at 9:05 am |

Thank you. I will review this source.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 1, 2013 at 12:33 pm |

I know ; )
            I keep up with this. DMT may very well be produced in the human brain. It just hasn’t been proven despite casual claims to the contrary.

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm |

A simple google search will do, I am sure. Research for yourself. If you come back with information to the contrary, let me know and I will assist you then. Good hunting.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 2, 2013 at 11:58 am |

Your surety is reassuring.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 2:25 am |

Can you explain the nature of “Shaman knowledge” throughout history and cultures?

• badgerpit | Aug 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm |

This is not a place to do extensive researching so I will keep my answers short. But the general idea to the ‘shaman knowledge’ that I asked was that for centuries shamans (or their equivelent) would use ‘drugs’ to enter a ‘spirit world’ and emerge back into our reality with knowledge to guide their tribes. There are variations to this but that is essentially the message.

• The Well Dressed Man | Aug 1, 2013 at 2:22 am |

Does anyone “understand the nature of consciousness?”

2. has anyone notice the shape of the skull and the nose brige and forhead