via wikileaks

snowden-378233-edward-snowden

Statement from Edward Snowden in Moscow

Monday July 1, 21:40 UTC

One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom and safety were under threat for revealing the truth. My continued liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family, and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for which I will always be thankful.

On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic “wheeling and dealing” over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.

For decades the United States of America has been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum. Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to everybody. The right to seek asylum.

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

Edward Joseph Snowden

Monday 1st July 2013

10 Comments on "Statement from Edward Snowden in Moscow: “In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me,… No, the Obama administration is afraid of you.”"

• terrasodium | Jul 2, 2013 at 4:15 am |

This is the guy the Obama administration is afraid of? Huh I thought he’d be taller.

1. If Germany are really interested in prosecuting US companies with regard to breaking the law when dealing with German citizens, the Edward Snowden can pretty much guarantee getting asylum there are long as he is willing to work with German police and intelligence services with a view to prosecuting crimes committed against German citizens by the US government.

• Wouldn’t he be abusing the information he has, the very reason why he blew the whistle?

• Charlie Primero | Jul 2, 2013 at 10:04 am |

The feigned outrage in Euroland is to setup their intel agencies for increased funding and more Draconian leak control laws. Watch for it.

2. Charlie Primero | Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 am |

Snowden is a Snowjob. Snowden recently hired lawyer Bruce Fein to organize his return to the U.S.

Bruce Fein works for AIPAC and the Neocons.

Good article about that here: http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/07/01/elder-snowden-engineers-deal-with-bruce-fein-for-edward-snowdens-return/

In 2012 Fein was named Chief Legal Advisor to Ron Paul by campaign manager Jesse Benton. Benton promptly sabotaged Ron Paul’s Presidential bid from within, partly due to bringing Fein into the fold.

You guys tell me what Snowden “revealed” that we didn’t already know.

Watch for legislation soon which INCREASES the ability of U.S. intelligence agencies to avoid public scrutiny. Snowden and General Cartwright will be the justification. It will pass late one Friday night.

3. Valerie Rose Borrelli | Jul 2, 2013 at 11:55 am |

You gave up your rights when you became a traitor to our county. People like YOU are like gold to our enemies. Go to Syria, they will take you…

4. sambrown299 | Jul 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm |

Edward Snowden is the definition of a true hero, thank you for spreading the truth!