DisinfoCast 68: Matt and Mike are Heavily Unredacted

Pora-BoraDVD01

iTunes | Download (mp3) | RSS | iPhone App

My friend Mike joins me for a free-ranging discussion of recent news items, plus non-human sentience, buttered dinosaurs, cannibalism and the modern for-profit prison system.

13 Comments on "DisinfoCast 68: Matt and Mike are Heavily Unredacted"

1. Anarchy Pony | Aug 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm |

You guys holding?

2. Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 15, 2013 at 7:16 am |

Great podcast Matt. I find myself constantly thinking about the ethics of eating and exploitation of non-human persons. When people really value rational thinking as a tool for knowledge and they know how to use it they generally come to the same ideas about speciesism. I can see how it all seems a bit absurd for some people too though.

• Matt Staggs | Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 am |

I think about these things a lot, and they’re ethically gray areas for me. I refuse to eat octopus, dolphin or primate, but I’m not comfortable telling other people not to. At the same time, I’d be very comfortable insisting that others don’t hunt and kill their fellow human beings for food, so it’s obvious that I still think of these possibly sentient beings as “animals”, and I’m just exercising the privilege of making these choices that living in an affluent Western society has given me.

Mike is a fun guy to bounce these kinds of ideas off of, and I’m glad that I managed to grab him for a conversation. I suspect we’ll revisit this and other topics soon.

• Ted Heistman | Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm |

Yeah, I’m liking the conversational format and hearing your opinions on things. It was India that declared the Dolphins non-human persons. They now outlaw all sea world type activity.

To me as far as animals go, I think in small traditional farms, animals are in kind of a symbiotic relationship with humans. Free Range Pigs, cows, chickens, really do seem happy. So its not unethical to eat them if they are provided with a high quality of life.

And its not unethical in my opinion to take deer and other game animnals. I think what is cruel is subjecting them to hellish factory conditions in tiny sensory deprivation cells where they never see the light of day their entire lives until they are loaded onto a truck the slaughter house.

• Matt Staggs | Aug 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm |

I think we’re on the same page here, Ted. Let me know if you ever pass down South and we’ll all get out for an organic, free-range, humanely slaughtered beer.

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |

Matt you glorious bastard, you still on xbox live? You see the new multiplayer vid from GTAV? The word is bomb! You said you were mostly an FPSr, does that mean gta is a no for you?

• Matt Staggs | Aug 16, 2013 at 11:57 am |

I’m still on XBOX Live, but I’m starting to think that maybe I should jump to Playstation after all of Microsoft’s intolerable smugness and the price point of the new console. I’ve found GTA to be pretty boring in the past: Yo! Deliver a pizza! Drop my friend off at her apartment! Wait outside while I go make a deal! I actually prefer Saints Row for unmitigated free-play simulated violence.