Holistic Farming Hero Joel Salatin Gives Helluva Talk at TEDMED 2012

You’ll love it, unless you’re caught up in our culture’s mechanistic, Greco-Roman, Western, reductionist, linear, fragmented, compartmentalized, disconnected, systematized, individualized, parts-oriented kind of thinking…

10 Comments on "Holistic Farming Hero Joel Salatin Gives Helluva Talk at TEDMED 2012"

1. Nice find. Thanks for the link.

2. Ted Heistman | Aug 31, 2013 at 6:04 pm |

Awesome thanks!

3. Ted Heistman | Aug 31, 2013 at 6:15 pm |

This may be one of the most important battles in history.

4. This guy is awesome

• Without a doubt! He first came to my attention a few years back (in the documentary Food Inc.), and I remember being bowled over how smart this farmer was. As my interest in the subject grew, I kept coming across him and his work, and have been a big fan ever since.

I plan on submitting an article that features him and one of his most popular practices at some point in the near future. In the meantime, here’s one of many of his great articles:

Rebel with a Cause: Local Food Can Feed the World

• emperorreagan | Sep 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm |

I went to see that documentary with a friend who was really into Michael Pollan at the time. I thought Joel stole the entire show.

5. Ted Heistman | Sep 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm |

This talk kind of remined me of Steiner(inventor of bio dynamic gardening) talking about the difference between Goethe and Bacon’s view of nature. Bacon was like “Put Nature on a rack and torture her secrets out of her” Goethe was like “Sweet talk her and get her to whisper her secrets in your ear” or something like that there is a big difference in the two philosophies. There is a big split I see happening in science.

• drokhole | Sep 1, 2013 at 5:31 pm |

Reminds me of another talk I heard talking about the difference between (if I recall) Aristotle and Plato. Aristotle’s thinking was along the lines of, “we must save the plant one leaf at a time,” and to go to work picking off bugs one-by-one, and Plato was more, “if we tend to the soil the plants will grow strong enough to fend for themselves.” I’m pretty sure it was a Manly P. Hall talk. I wish I remembered the exact wording, because it was a great example of that kind of split in philosophy (while employing a rather serendipitous analogy).

• Ted Heistman | Sep 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm |

I see a big split coming. Permaculture vs. Monsanto and Factory farming. One fits in with democracy the other with world domination.

• Ted Heistman | Sep 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm |

It comes down to a fundamental debate about the nature of life itself and ultimately consciousness.