Imagine Cloning John Lennon, I Wonder If You Can

rocking-toothThe dentist who purchased John Lennon’s rotten molar for $31,000 at a 2011 auction now has plans for the tooth: He’s getting it genetically sequenced in the hopes of cloning the musician, who died in 1980.

Via NBC:

Dr. Michael Zuk has started up a website, JohnLennonDNA.com and put out a press release with all the gory details.

“I am nervous and excited at the possibility that we will be able to fully sequence John Lennon’s DNA, very soon I hope,” Dr. Zuk said in the release. “With researchers working on ways to clone mammoths, the same technology certainly could make human cloning a reality.”

“To potentially say I had a small part in bringing back one of rock’s greatest stars would be mind-blowing,” he added.

Keep reading.

15 Comments on "Imagine Cloning John Lennon, I Wonder If You Can"

1. atlanticus | Aug 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

Okay…I’ll bite…why on earth does this guy assume that Lennon Clone would have any of the musical proclivities or personality of Dead Lennon?

Is Dr. Zuk planning on raising Baby Lennon Clone as his own son? Will he be raised in Canada? What sort of upbringing will that be? I imagine that Lennon Clone might rebel against the sort of life his evil-doctor-step-dad pushes on him and grow to hate Dead Lennon.

2. Sounds like child abuse to me.

3. BuzzCoastin | Aug 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

I’d rather have a Rutles clone of Ron Nasty

4. DeepCough | Aug 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm |

Just because you clone John Lennon does not mean you get the John Lennon.
    You may as well hook up the wax John Lennon statue to your mp3 player.

5. bobbiethejean | Aug 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm |

We are not ONLY our genetics. We are also our experiences and our memories. Clone Lennon might grow up to become an average, everyday, run of the mill burger-flipper. That’s not even to touch on the extremely dubious ethicality of cloning people. What say do we have in what happens to our genetic material? Personally, I’d be pretty fuckin pissed if someone cloned me. (Not that anyone would want to, I don’t think. General consensus seems to be that one of me is more than enough. 😛) Certainly, if I were dead I wouldn’t give a shit because….. well….. DEAD! But still, this scenario presents a broad range of ethical questions that have been posed many a time and never really answered. Do we own our genetic makeup?

6. ManwithnoCountry | Aug 25, 2013 at 5:22 pm |

Just some dude trying to tranquilize his existential dread.

7. BrianApocalypse | Aug 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm |

I look forward to the day when Clone Lennon teams up with Hologram Lennon.

8. Calypso_1 | Aug 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm |

The tell is in the full article, where it indicates the dentist has previously used celebrity tooth purchases to market dental treatment/device schemes.

9. Bruteloop | Aug 26, 2013 at 4:10 am |

Forget Lennon. Clone Tiny Tim.

10. I wouldn’t trust this guy with dental floss.