Michael Hastings Feared That Someone Had Tampered With His Car

indexFrom Salon:

War correspondent Michael Hastings, who died in a car crash in April, had reportedly become concerned that his car had been tampered with in the days leading up to his death, and asked friend Jordanna Thigpen to borrow hers, according to new profile in the LA Weekly.

From the report:

Helicopters often circle over the hills, but Hastings believed there were more of them around whenever he was at home, keeping an eye on him. He came to believe his Mercedes was being tampered with. “Nothing I could say could console him,” Thigpen says.

One night in June, he came to Thigpen’s apartment after midnight and urgently asked to borrow her Volvo. He said he was afraid to drive his own car. She declined, telling him her car was having mechanical problems.

“He was scared, and he wanted to leave town,” she says.

The next day, around 11:15 a.m., she got a call from her landlord, who told her Hastings had died early that morning. His car had crashed into a palm tree at 75 mph and exploded in a ball of fire.

, ,

19 Responses to Michael Hastings Feared That Someone Had Tampered With His Car

1. Ross McKenzie August 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Nothing to see here go back to sleep your goverment got everthing under control.

2. Anarchy Pony August 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Killed him like that poor fucker investigating the link between BCCI and Iran Contra back in the 80s.

• webzombie August 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

There was a good book called “the Octopus” published by Feral House on that journalist I believe.

Very unsettling.

• Craig Bickford August 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

I will have to look for that one, never realized that was about BCCI. I love me some Feral House.

• Cortacespedes August 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Danny Casolaro, then on to Gary Webb. R.I.P.

3. Craig Bickford August 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I wonder if this one will turn out to BS like the cremation story was.

• bobbiethejean August 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

What do you mean about the cremation story?

• moremisinformation August 22, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

There was a report that the county or some ‘non family’ organization cremated his body without permission. Of course this totally up’d the anti with regard to the “conspiracy theories” (I hate that term. It usually just means the person shouting it is intellectually lazy). Apparently, and I don’t know this for a fact, but the story turned out to be false. I’m pretty sure I saw both ends of it here. Maybe try the search engine?

4. Sean August 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

I’m no conspiracy theorist at all. I think the rational reasons behind building 7 collapsing make perfect empirical sense.
    But………on this particular issue…I honestly believe we’re looking at a genuine conspiracy. There’s just too much strange correlating evidence. And now THIS. o_O

• moremisinformation August 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

“I think the rational reasons behind building 7 collapsing make perfect empirical sense.”

What were those, again?

5. alizardx August 23, 2013 at 12:35 am #

“Alt” media are corporate properties, too.

• Charlie Primero August 23, 2013 at 6:35 am #

It’s fairly easy to determine which “alternative” media outlets are controlled. Investigate whether they accept corporate “charitable” foundation money; Carnegie, Ford, Gates, Koch, Soros, Rockefeller, et al.

Their websites often hide it, so you must dig through their IRS Form 990′s.

Example: Democracy Now. They claim to shun corporate underwriting, but a little detective work shows that to be a lie.

• alizardx August 25, 2013 at 4:44 am #

True, but I was thinking about alt rags like LA Weekly.

• Charlie Primero August 25, 2013 at 7:38 am #

For small LLC’s you often have to use a tool like manta.com to see who owns it. Each of the fifty states has a Secretary of State office that handles corporate registrations. They have searchable databases.
          LA Weekly looks like it’s run by http://www.vmgadvertising.com

• alizardx August 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of manta.com . I’d heard that more and more, the alt weeklies are becoming bought up by corporate chains

• alizardx August 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

now, I see, that *is* the corporate alt=media chain, I take it you saw the list of alt-rags it owns? So much for “independent” media voices. Thanks again. (assuming first reply actually posted)

6. DrDavidKelly August 23, 2013 at 2:27 am #

As I suspected the toxicology results were nigh useless. Stan the man I reckon. He’d know all the right people for the job too. This one is going into the ‘never going to figure it out’ pile I’m afraid.

7. Anarchy Pony August 23, 2013 at 12:38 am #

I resent that accusation!

8. Anarchy Pony August 27, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I merely expressed my distaste at the accusation. I made no claim as to its accuracy. =P