mark-ciavarella-mugshot.400x800For-profit correction facilities? What could possibly go wrong?

Via Rolling Out:

Judge Mark A. Ciavarella, 63, serves as an example of why the private prison industry can do more harm than good. Ciavarella worked alongside owners of private juvenile facilities to ensure that the prison remained occupied. The more prisoners equated to more profits for the owners of the prison.

As a result, Ciavarella would sentence offenders with small offenses to months and, at times, years behind bars. He once sentenced a teen to three months in jail for creating a MySpace page that mocked her school’s assistant principal. Ciavarella also sentenced another teen to 90 days in jail after a simple schoolyard fight.

But after a federal investigation, it was discovered that Ciavarella and his colleague, Judge Michael Conahan, received more than $2.6 million from privately run youth centers owned by PA Child Care. In 2011, Ciavarella was convicted of racketeering and sentenced to 28 years in prison. He was also forced to pay $1 million in restitution.

Keep reading.

30 Comments on "Scumbag Judge Gets 28 Years for Role in Scheme to Incarcerate Children for Profit"

1. Anarchy Pony | Aug 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm |

Hmm, it’s like attaching profit to incarceration is a bad fucking idea or something.

2. OdinMcHaggis | Aug 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm |

This is just an isolated incident, most humans are not motivated by easy money.

3. Calypso_1 | Aug 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm |

in addition, the judges’ convictions are being overturned and the civil suits are green lighted.
    ….if only this was as big as the Zimmerman case, perhaps it could set a firm precedent.

4. Hope this miserable rat bastard gets reapetedy and violently ASS-RAPED in prison.
    But, unlike the kids he senenced, the fucker will probably be sent someplace where that does not happen.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm |

That face really does scream rat bastard.

• Rape is never a form of justice.

• Yeah, I was going to reply with the same sentiment.

Most people who gloat about how men get raped in prison as part and parcel of “justice” get indignant when you suggest that perhaps that means their daughters should be raped as punishment for crime.

And they react that way for good reason.

I’m not sure what this former judge deserves in the way of punishment, but if I trusted the government to properly apply the Death Penalty (and I don’t), that would certainly be on the list for consideration.

• Ted Heistman | Aug 7, 2013 at 6:04 am |

Juan’s cool though. He gets over excited.

• Yeah, I know he’s cool and my criticism wasn’t meant to be directed at him. Just at the notion of “rape as legitimate punishment”.

The downvote isn’t me. I tend to only use those ironically and very, very rarely.

• Ted Heistman | Aug 7, 2013 at 9:21 am |

No, i know.

• Could not agree more. I think it is horrible in the extreme and should never happen under any circumstances.
        My point was that these types of people within the system have no qualms whatsoever about about sentencing people to that very fate knowing full well that rape is part of the equation.
        I was and am hoping for some karmic justice for this piece of shit. But, as I noted originally, he will more than likely be sent to a facility where rape does not happen.
        Just because I think something is horrible and unjust does not mean I cannot wish it on such a deserving person.

• sonicbphuct | Aug 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

I confess – I share the same desire for that human scum. That is not to say that I want to see it implemented, but that, his wrongs are so atrocious that I wish for him the worst thing I could imagine. Of course, when I think about it, I could get much more imaginative, but …

all of this is to say, such a thought comes as a reaction to the anger and sense of injustice. However, being a rational person, I can set aside my anger and deal rationally the issue at hand.

A rational judge would say: This person is irredeemable, having never had an epiphany as to the horrors of his crimes, or evidence thereof. As such, punishment is wasted, and its a simple matter of safety for the society at large. Such a person should never have contact with a society that he may imperil. As such, he should be sentenced to die of natural causes in a prison.

5. Eric_D_Read | Aug 6, 2013 at 9:35 pm |

What’s with Rolling Out’s racist headline for this story? (Judge must serve 28 years after making $2 million for sending black children to jail)

These scumbags did this to kids of all backgrounds, other than the rich ones I’m sure. They rarely even stand before a judge in the first place.

6. DrDavidKelly | Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 pm |

It’s privately run so its got to be better! My wife just wrote something similar that is happening in the land of lager and sand. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-07/jones-no-rewards-for-political-foresight/4868968

7. AManCalledDa-da | Aug 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm |

Fresh fish, fresh fish…

8. PAUL WHALEY | Aug 6, 2013 at 11:48 pm |

thats good for him, I guess he got what he handed out TIME

9. Yet those that paid the bribes and profited by abusing children.
    Robert Mericle (co owner of the juvenile detention facility) – Federal prosecutors seek stiffer sentence, the changes, which must be approved by a judge, increase the sentencing guideline range from four to 10 months in prison, to 12 to 18 months.
    Seriously WHAT THE FUCK?
    It is in your interest to bribe government officials because when they get caught you get a slap on the wrist.

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 7, 2013 at 1:08 am |

These for profit prison mother fuckers are also the big pushers for mandatory sentences.

10. BuzzCoastin | Aug 7, 2013 at 1:33 am |

there but for the grace of god
    goes every sitting Merkin judge
    I wonder who he pissed off
    to get a taste of his own justice
    or is he double dipping
    by profiting from his own incarceration

11. FistOfGaius | Aug 7, 2013 at 3:28 am |

And that’s strange because I thought they gave him a 50K fine and 23 months probation and he never spent a night in jail…

12. there was a similar story in an episode of Law and Order SVU

13. I can’t help but notice Rolling Out’s version of this story left out the fact that they were only doing this to Black Children.

14. Dingbert | Aug 7, 2013 at 9:10 am |

The Wyoming Valley area was much more functional and less corrupt when it was run by the mob.

15. melvin lafleur | Aug 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm |

he will get early parole after a couple of years. just watch.