Carcinogenic Chemicals Found in 98 Shampoos

bad-hair_homorazzi.com_I can’t guarantee that it’s any safer, but I’ve used plain old bar soap for “shampoo” for years now and have yet to tell any difference in my hairs quality or cleanliness. Caveat: I’m a no-frills kind of guy who keeps his hair short. Your mileage may vary.

Via Newsy:

Reading the ingredients on the back of the average shampoo bottle can sometimes feel like a pop quiz in biochemistry. But a new study conducted by a Californian environmental watchdog shows how important it is to pay attention to what you smear on your scalp.

According to an independent study sponsored by the nonprofit Center for Environmental Health, 98 shampoo products contained the carcinogenic chemical cocamide DEA, a form of coconut oil used as a thickener.

Last year, California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment listed cocamide DEA as a carcinogenic chemical likely to cause cancer. Although the state has not declared a specific limit for this chemical in products, the CEH claims the levels of cocamide DEA were much higher than normal limits.

The list of products with this potentially dangerous chemical include several children’s products and even one shampoo inaccurately marketed as “organic.”

Read more.

, ,

18 Responses to Carcinogenic Chemicals Found in 98 Shampoos

1. jasonpaulhayes September 9, 2013 at 2:08 am #

4 Words ……. Doctor Bronner’s Magic Soap

• Juan September 9, 2013 at 7:35 am #

That’s all I use too.

• jasonpaulhayes September 9, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Also consider Paper Street Soap Company !

• Jin The Ninja September 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

it is the best thing ever. i use it to clean the floor, laundry, occasionally dishes (although super suds is better for that).

• Guest September 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

All respect to the fun-crazy Dr. Bronner, but Magic Soap is not so nice on long hair…I like my hair soft and girly and shit like that.

I’ve been using Avalon organic peppermint shampoo lately, but that shit’s expensive when I’m used to spending $1 on dollar store baby shampoo.

2. Hoarfraust September 9, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Haha–short hair and Ivory soap! Booya!

3. Charlie Primero September 9, 2013 at 6:49 am #

I wash my hair and body with bars of soap I buy from hippie retired college professors at the farmer’s market. They sell many flavors. I shave with them too.
    When travelling I carry small bottles of Dr. Bronner’s. Those soaps in hotels wreck my skin.

• Matt Staggs September 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Have you seen the documentary on Bronner? I recommend it highly. We’ve used that stuff for years, ourselves.

• Charlie Primero September 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

I have not, but I’ll look for it. Thanks!

• The Well Dressed Man September 11, 2013 at 1:10 am #

I’ll have to look it up. Those bottles are the best bathroom reading

4. Anarchy Pony September 9, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Well shit, these days there are carcinogens in just about all the water supplies.

5. MadHierophant September 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

6. Ubelsteiner September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Check out Wholly Hemp, some of the best soap/shampoo and other products i’ve ever used in my life in a variety of delicious natural scents. Can’t recommend them highly enough, especially when shit like this is out there!

7. dr_mabeuse September 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Cocamide and cocamide DEA are listed as “possible carcinogens” under California’s Proposition 65, which in California means they’re considered proven carcinogens until proven innocent, which is ridiculous. The issue is further clouded by the fact that most everything in the world qualifies as a “possible carcinogen” because almost everything in the world is carcinogenic if you’re exposed to to it in the amounts that lab rats are. Plus, Prop 65 lets private citizens claim damages against manufacturers that violate it whether knowingly or unknowingly, meaning that everything from kitchen spices to rubber boots are under the gun.
    Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Just the usual California lunacy.

• Monkey See Monkey Do September 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

I’ll just leave this here.. http://www.possibility.com.au/TCMSC4.pdf

• dr_mabeuse September 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

From the link: “Note: The evaluation given is the opinion of the author based on available information at the time of writing. See the bibliography for a list of reference sources.”

Well, I’d feel better if the references were included in the link, but they weren’t, or if the author spelled out some credentials or expertise he had that made his “opinion” especially informed or trustworthy. But he doesn’t, and the fact that he doesn’t mention the dose (he refers the reader to the references), doesn’t distinguish between animal and human data, or even specify the route of administration used in his toxicological studies (rather critical. Sand (silicon dioxide) is carcinogenic if inhaled. Not so much if it’s ingested.) for his toxicological studies, as well as his ignorance of elementary chemistry (glacial acetic acid is concentrated acetic acid. It’s used in food in its diluted form, which is known as ‘vinegar’) makes me suspect that he’s hardly more than an opinionated – no, prejudiced – laymen, and a chemophobe to boot, alarmed by anything that has a chemical name.

Dr. Bruce Ames of Berkeley, inventor of the Ames test for carcinogenicity/mutagenicity, and Dr. Lois Swirsky Gold, point out that carcinogens, for example, occur widely in nature, and that non-smoking humans are exposed to ~10,000 times as much narurally occuring carcinogen from food sources no matter how organic, as from man-made carcinogens. Among the more prominent naturally occurring carcinogens in food: aflatoxin (the most potent carcinogen known to science) in moldy peanuts; hydrazines in mushrooms; benzaldehyde and hydrogen peroxide in tomatoes, apples, and peaches; isothiacyanates in broccoli and other crucifera; aniline in carrots; benzo(a)pyrenes and quercertinylglycosides in tea…

This isn’t to say that there aren’t bad things added to processed foods. There are. But revealing the “hidden carcinogens” in the product du jour in order to get readers is just as manipulative and misinformed as dumping some toxic dye into your organic gummi worms in order to increase eye appeal.

• jnana September 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

very interesting! thanks for the info. this is coming from a “chemophobe”, mind you.
          I heard that lab rats fed on the minimum caloric intake doubled their life spans. also, tribes who ate the least and worked hard, live longer lives.

• The Well Dressed Man September 11, 2013 at 1:52 am #

“Possible carcinogen” warning signs (for alcohol) are even going up in the bars in Cali.