Plastic Surgery To Create A Permanent Smile Debuts In South Korea

permanent smileI’m guessing this terrifying procedure is nonetheless cheaper than a lifetime on antidepressants. The Atlantic reports:

South Korea has helped paved the way for double-eyelid surgeries, dimple injections, calf reductions and even double-jaw surgery, to name a few. Now South Korean plastic surgeons are taking on surgery that alters the appearance of emotion. A new technique called “Smile Lipt” (whose name combines “lip” with “lift”) carves a permanent smile – the procedure turns up the corners of the mouth.

The procedure is increasingly popular among men and women in their 20s and 30s—especially flight attendants, consultants and others in industries aiming to offer service with a smile. The Seoul-based Aone Plastic Surgery has patented the procedure. For $2,000, it now offers patients the chance to be thus transformed:

24 Comments on "Plastic Surgery To Create A Permanent Smile Debuts In South Korea"

1. Codgitator | Sep 2, 2013 at 8:49 am |

Glasgow smile

2. Now you got ~face~, baby. Just add colored contacts, a nose job and skin whitening. Maybe now you can get an overworked hyperstressed drunken Samsbung engineer to marry you. Look for many businesses esp a noted superficial airline to put this in the contract of indenture. @SelfHatingKoreans.

3. sisterchef | Sep 2, 2013 at 11:49 am |

I think they used the word “mouth corners” 9305234521342 times in this film… Also, many of these patients ended up looking like The Joker..

4. bsackamano | Sep 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm |

These people are very sick on the inside, that’s where they should concentrate on getting help and that doesn’t involve surgery.

• Skywaytraffic | Sep 5, 2013 at 9:57 am |

How are these people “very sick”? This is one of the least extreme plastic surgeries I’ve seen, anywhere. Why are you faulting people for wanting to have a pleasant emotion on their face especially when they work in service industries? Maybe YOU should take a step back and reassess how harshly you judge people, rather than jumping down these people’s throats for making personal decisions to don’t affect you or harm anyone in any way.

• All I know, is I don’t want to live in a society were people who are not happy, put on fake smiles everywhere. If you permanently modify your face to have a “smile” while your going through pain, you either create a society that openly promotes a false image of itself, OR, you lose the ability fully express yourself as a human being when your not feeling great and don’t want to smile. Its not a “positive” emotion, if its fake. This screams insecurity, and denial. And a medical industry that will make this the “normal” so everyone had to have it, so the medical community can profit off of these people….

• from the future | Sep 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm |

you are over-reacting way too much . . the post says this surgery are for people mainly in the service industry such as flight attendants, consultants, waitresses, etc. jobs where people have to smile at ALL times . . or at least look like they’re in a pleasant mood all the time . . .

also, some people have lips or mouths that naturally droops down and looks as if that they’re frowning all the time when they’re just looking like their usual self . . . coming from a person that dislikes any form of vain surgeries, this is actually looking to be more of a corrective surgery at most

• I agree, if its for purely corrective reasons such as a mouth that naturally looks like your are dramatically frowning all the time, I can see it being beneficial for some people. But the way I read the article, it sounded like people without such cosmetic issues are getting it just because it has become a “fad”. The way I read it…. It sounded like people with normal, healthy, regular mouths, were getting “permanent smiles” just to fit in with a popular style. You know, like if chopping off ears became a popular look, and all the young girls started doing it.

5. InfvoCuernos | Sep 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm |

“…but they look so happy”

6. Given how much body language is like a subliminal advertisement for yourself, this is unsurprising.

7. Rhoid Rager | Sep 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm |

Permagrin can be attained by smoking weed, too.

8. The Well Dressed Man | Sep 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm |

why so serious?

9. …. I’m more concerned about the young people getting it.. does their face have a strange sagging thing going on… their mouth still up but the rest (cheeks etc…) go down so there is a weird up down things going on?

10. Sagir Khan | Sep 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm |

Only one question: Why?

11. TheJoker | Sep 7, 2013 at 8:12 pm |

I would so get this done.

12. scarlett | Sep 7, 2013 at 9:42 pm |

This isn’t wierd at all, I thought it would be creepy…. I kind of would like this… My mouth is small so it looks like I’m gritting my teeth at people when I smile and it makes me feel wierd so I just don’t smile….

13. Megan Anderson | Sep 7, 2013 at 10:50 pm |

now even when you are angry, you can yell with a smile

14. JUST
    WHY
    It’s not too hard to keep a fake smile if you practice.

15. Phyllida Ding | Sep 10, 2013 at 1:54 am |

this is seriously horrifying. .. i think those people look just fine with their original mouth. after the surgery they look so fake and creepy… 🙁 eww.

16. Imagine going to your mum’s funeral like that

17. What if there’s a serious situation? Like a death in the family, or national disaster? O_O