Hitman: Kill the Death Economy! | Interview with John Perkins

Abby Martin speaks with John Perkins, best-selling author of ‘Confessions of an Economic Hitman’ & ‘Hoodwinked’, about the corporate takeover of world governments and the need to eradicate the death economy.

LIKE Breaking the Set @ http://fb.me/BreakingTheSet
FOLLOW Abby Martin @ http://twitter.com/AbbyMartin

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Hitman: Kill the Death Economy! | Interview with John Perkins

1. echar October 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Such a powerful and transformative message.

2. Ted Heistman October 23, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I mean this guy is into Nature and Spirituality and Indigenous rights, I can’t fault him for that. Those are all positive things as far as I am concerned. But what bothered me about his book “confessions of an economic hit man”is that I didn’t learn anything from it.

This thought struck me after I put the book down and I wondered why it bothered me. It seemed significant to me. Here is what I think it is. I didn’t learn anything because at the time I had been reading Lots of Noam Chomski and Michael Parenti, Zinn and listening to Democracy Now and reading Counter Punch.

So I felt like this guy was reading all this stuff too and wrote the book to say exactly what that type of audience wanted to hear.

I am not saying its 100% contrived. I just think this guy value system completely changed from when the events occurred and when he wrote the book, so the story is kind of like painted in a certain way that he feels will be accepted by Chomski fans.

With stories that seem authentic to me I always learn something I didn’t already know. Life is messy and people are usually not what they seem. Ideologies aren’t so nice and neat.

• Ted Heistman October 23, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I mean ideologies may be nice and neat but real life isn’t.

• Andrew October 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

That’s true. But it applies to libertarianism as well and socialism.

• Ted Heistman October 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

So you think I am a doctrinaire Libertarian?

• Andrew October 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Compared to me, close enough. Perhaps. But who cares if I think you are some thing or other? It’s not like I’m calling you names or anything.

• echar October 23, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Only the vilified masculine types do that.

• Ted Heistman October 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Thats why you are so fucking tiring. You pigeon hole me as something I am not and then say ugly things to me. As if saying ugly things to me is a heroic act against the forces of evil.

• echar October 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

• Andrew October 24, 2013 at 1:08 am #

Oh, take your psychological projection and shove it. You’re the one who’s called yourself a libertarian and anarchist. I’ve never claimed to be heroic or righteous or enlightened or fun, whereas you’ve referred to yourself as “at the leading edge of the fringe thought.” And I don’t think I’ve said anything nearly as ugly to you as some of the things you’ve said to others, until maybe right now. So quit being so touchy, though guy, and take a look in the mirror.

• Ted Heistman October 24, 2013 at 8:49 am #

You guys will be so happy spending all your time here. Good luck

• echar October 24, 2013 at 11:46 am #

That was mean of me.

• echar October 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

I apologize Ted. I allowed myself to get carried away.

• Ted Heistman October 25, 2013 at 1:24 am #

see how weak you are? You are completely anonymous yet seek my approval. You thought I got all quiet because you hurt my feelings? You aren’t even a person for Christ’s sake. I don’t care if you don’t like me and I don’t care if you go for bossy women. I was saying my opinion.

• echar October 25, 2013 at 4:07 am #

It may behoove you to keep from assuming things about people.

• Ted Heistman October 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

I haven’t had a fun conversation on the comments section in several weeks so I will leave it to you self righteous lefty’s

• echar October 23, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Sorry we don’t grow our own food, eat from garbage cans, or sleep outside. We can’t be as hardcore self righteous and expert like as you. Woe is me, crying martyr.

Only imperfect people, unlike I, would dare to misunderstand my perfection. Get over yourself. I thought cowboys didn’t cry?

Spouting some typical pretentious crap, then pulling this. Want to have a fun conversation, then stop acting like you’re some fantasy rogue character. Pics or it didn’t happen, and those pics are open for debate as well.

• jasonpaulhayes October 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Well, thats true of many books and authors, they do follow trends and jump on bandwagons (ex: 2012)… to sell a few copies of a shamelessly contrived piece of fiction passed off as truth.

Also, promoting third world nationalism isn’t a historical past time of white men. Any white man with mainstream ties who does will always be suspect as a dis-info agent or co-intel and they require vetting.

• gustave courbet October 23, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

I can definitely see how you could come away from”Confessions” with that impression. My experience with it was totally dissimilar, although I’d read some Chomsky, Zinn etc. One thing I thought that Perkins did a good job of that the left often fails to do (Parenti excluded) is show how clandestine operations often work, and how often they’re utilized in the daily affairs of the hegemon.