halloweenBrilliant, asinine, or both? North Dakota’s Valley News Live reports on a regional Halloween controversy:

A local woman stated her intentions to take childhood obesity into her own hands during a Y-94 radio interview the morning of Oct. 29. She has decided to give a letter instead of candy to Halloween trick-or-treaters that she feels are “moderately obese.”

“I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight… I think it’s just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just ’cause all the other kids are doing it,” says the author in a Y-94 morning radio interview. That’s where the letter first surfaced and started to spread through social media.

“I’m contributing to their health problems and really, their kids are everybody’s kids. It’s a whole village,” says the letter’s author in the interview.

13 Comments on "North Dakota Woman To Hand Out Anti-Obesity Flyers To Overweight Trick-Or-Treaters"

1. saianjuma1 | Oct 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm |

I mean. sure. Still. C’mon!

2. emperorreagan | Oct 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm |

So she’s handing out notes that say, “Trick, please!”?

3. Third paragraph, first sentence.

You child is

Hoax?

Ya, sure, ya betcha!

4. Ted Heistman | Oct 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm |

why buy health treats for all when you can single out fat kids?

5. I like to give trick or treaters a choice of ketchup packets or taco bell hot sauce. The looks on their faces is priceless, when I say “you like, ketchup, right?” Then I give them candy.XD

6. Earthstar | Oct 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm |

I like how she addresses the parents and totally ignores the fact that kids will read this and be crushed. I hope she develops some sort of gland problem and “grows up” a bit.

7. oneironauticus | Oct 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm |

Hah, I’d slap her…

8. howiebledsoe | Oct 31, 2013 at 7:42 am |

People have been giving out apples for ages for this reason. It drives the point home without crushing a childs ego. What a dumb woman.

9. PrimateZero | Oct 31, 2013 at 9:10 am |

What a self righteous smug asshole. I agree that there is an obesity problem in this country but don’t hand out candy to some kids and a letter of reprimand to the ones you deem “moderately obese”. I think there might be some “villagers” with torches and pitchforks showing up at her house this Halloween season.

10. Conspiracy Carrot | Oct 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm |

Hope ya like toilet paper in your trees and scraping dried eggs off your windows.

11. gustave courbet | Oct 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm |

I appreciate the sentiment, but the delivery is horrible. She’ll succeed only in damaging the fragile self esteem of already sensitive children and enraging parents.

12. good for her!