Doug Stanhope: Liberty Defined

: the state or condition of people who are able to act and speak freely

: the power to do or choose what you want to

: a political right

:  the quality or state of being free:a :  the power to do as one pleasesb :  freedom from physical restraint

c :  freedom from arbitrary or despotic control

d :  the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges

e :  the power of choice

and in related news.

Mountain Man Arrested for Trying to Feed Himself, owns judge.

In a packed courtroom, 52-year-old Ernie Tertelgte told the judge “I am a living man protected by natural law and I have the right to forage for food when I am hungry… You are trying to create a fictitious, fraudulent action.”

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=521_1384992875#zvmt75UiJIyDpXEX.99

24 Comments on "Doug Stanhope: Liberty Defined"

1. Conspiracy Carrot | Nov 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm |

Love Doug and I love that bit, but that shitty hip hop loop drove me to tears.

• But what did you think of the message?

• Conspiracy Carrot | Nov 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm |

Loved it. I’m very familiar with Stanhope’s work and have heard that bit many times. Just find the overlaying of beats or trance-y music on these inspirational and enlightening speeches to be highly annoying. But yeah, great message.

2. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm |

Here’s a neat little “Mr. Science” type experiment you can try with your friends next time you’re near a Taco Bell:

Have your friend close his/her eyes and take a whiff; then shove your filthy unwashed arm pit in his/her face and ask him/her to take another whiff. Can they tell the difference between b.o. and Taco Balls? Not likely.

This is also an excellent test to see who your real friends are. A real friend wouldn’t let you anywhere near a Taco Bell.

3. Brilliant. I especially loved the bit at the end with the kids:)

4. BuzzCoastin | Nov 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm |

the fact that this is considered revelatory
    & actually needs to be said
    & is somehow considered radical
    is disheartening

• Rhoid Rager | Nov 26, 2013 at 8:52 am |

mm..agreed…

• Gotta start somewhere Buzz.

• BuzzCoastin | Nov 27, 2013 at 4:40 pm |

I remember about 20 years ago I was saying this stuff
        someone said,”You sound like Bill Hicks.”
        I didn’t know who Hicks was
        and when I heard Stanhope’s rants about freedom
        I couldn’t have agreed more
        but it seems that vast majority of peeps
        aren’t even aware that Liberty is freedom from gruberment
        not merely the freedom to obey it

5. Frater Isla | Nov 25, 2013 at 9:50 pm |

Oh, Stanhope. Yr my favorite.

6. Freedom is a myth.

• Kevin Leonard | Nov 25, 2013 at 11:05 pm |

Your slavery is a fact.

• Definitely!

• Kevin Leonard | Nov 26, 2013 at 12:07 am |

If freedom is a myth, then I’ll have to take this man’s word for what that means…

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth–penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

• Rhoid Rager | Nov 26, 2013 at 8:56 am |

pithy, but i disagree

7. kowalityjesus | Nov 26, 2013 at 2:59 am |

constantly being exposed to the unknowably-vast degrees of grey that exist in morality should make a man both sagacious but humble. I pray for the discernment to know when to apply volition or when to resign myself to God’s will.