This crazy video features an insane look back on the toys and cartoons of the 1980’s by a couple of confused evangelical Christians who see the Devil in every detail. Author Phil Phillips and Pastor Gary Greenwald would be just a couple of bumbling buffoons if their brand of humorless hysteria hadn’t been part of a bigger trend that lead to the “Satanic Panic” of that era — a time when hundreds of unsubstantiated cases of so-called Satanic ritual abuse were reported around the United States.
The good people at i09 published a short version of this video. Here are some of their favorite bits:
• Dungeons & Dragons “game pieces” scream when you set them on fire!
• “It’s called necromology.”
• Darth looks “almost exactly” like the Norse god Odin
• Smurfs are blue with black lips… just like corpses.
• “There’s a form of witchcraft [in Star Wars] called ‘Obi witchcraft.'” Obi obi obi!
It’s all in good fun kids until you draw a direct line from a pastor obsessed with zombie Smurfs to the convictions of the West Memphis 3. Be careful when you see the Devil that you do not see him in a mirror.
There is a sevenish minute version of this floating around on the net. Here is the the full 90 minutes plus:
Latest posts by Lee Camp (see all)
- Black People Should HATE Hillary Clinton! - Jan 26, 2016
- Sting Operation Outs Climate Change Denier Scientists - Dec 29, 2015
- REVEALED: Walmart Working With FBI - Dec 8, 2015