‘Pedo Baiting’ On Love + Radio

Disinfo readers may be interested in this episode of WBEZ Chicago’s Love + Radio podcast. Profiled is “Ellen” (not her real name), a woman who makes her living baiting and trapping pedophiles by posing as a young boy or girl online. Once Ellen gets her target in a compromising position she threatens to expose him unless he buys her an Amazon gift card, which she uses to purchase items she can sell online.

It’s an interesting story because of all of the questions it invites: Does doing something horrible to a horrible person mean that you’re a horrible person, too, or is Ellen a hero for effecting a kind of vigilante justice on one of the most loathed segments of society? If it is the latter, does her personal gain make his punishment an afterthought? Does not turning pedophiles over to the local police make her a party to their crimes? Where doe her money come from? Is she being paid (in some instances) in money earned from child exploitation?

Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

, , , , ,

18 Responses to ‘Pedo Baiting’ On Love + Radio

1. bob james December 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

thats like stealing form someone with learning difficulties

2. lauranimist December 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

I think it’s brilliant. When they get caught and blackmailed this way, I personally think it is a much healthier outcome and more likely to benefit victims than throwing them in jail for the rest of their lives. She’s far more likely to get her desired outcome than a court of law is to get theirs, and she can even help to reform the pedophile somewhat, through the shame factor. I personally don’t think that locking someone up, beating them up, taking away their freedom …but feeding them three meals a day and giving them a place they belong …is in any way an effective treatment for pedophilia. And the percentage who get caught and processed by the legal system is tiny compared to the number of these guys who are out there.
    “Ellen’s” system earns her a living, and probably she gets tipped off to one pedophile after another. And you know all these people are in real danger of getting caught by the real authorities, because of her “work.”
    All around, a brilliant scheme!
    By the way, I’m not taking this lightly. I knew a child molestor when I was little …and his name was Jack.

• Earthstar December 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

While a pedophile may have a problem, she is just a plain old extortionist. In what way do any of her actions benefit the victims of pedophiles? She is as bad or worse than they are and doubly guilty under the law: not reporting criminal activity directed towards children and practicing extortion.

3. Andrew December 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

> Does not turning pedophiles over to the local police make her a party to their crimes?

• Earthstar December 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

“Oh great!” thinks the pedophile. “Now that I’ve paid her off, she CAN’T report me anymore, cause she’s guilty as fuck now too! I’ll be more careful from now on.”

• oneironauticus December 2, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

This: “Where doe her money come from? Is she being paid (in some instances) in money earned from child exploitation?”

…is what concerns me most.

4. echar December 2, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Hard Candy

5. InfvoCuernos December 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

To Catch a Predator does the same thing-profiting off of baiting pedos into compromising situations. The big difference being that the pedo does not go to jail in her scheme, they just learn to be more careful online.

6. oneironauticus December 2, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Bob…would you do us a favor and post some of your bank account information? We need it for tax purposes. And charity. For people with “learning difficulties”.

7. I_abide December 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

It’s a “safer” form of criminals preying on criminals. Drug dealers who get robbed don’t go to the cops and say someone snatched a butt load of drugs from my place.

It would be interesting to see her go to the cops after she runs across someone who reacts to her demands in a violent fashion. But that’s probably just the part of me that likes to see ass hats get paid back.

8. Apathesis December 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Who knew baiting pedophiles for financial gain would be the niche market of 2013?

9. Mancave Heywood December 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Although the didling of little kids is very wrong, what this woman is doing is illegal and I hope one day she tries this on the wrong person!

10. heinrich6666 December 4, 2013 at 4:44 am #

Total hoax.

• oneironauticus December 4, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Naïve…

• heinrich6666 December 4, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

That the only reason to call it a hoax?

• Calypso_1 December 5, 2013 at 12:23 am #

no, but it could be a reason to express the notion that it is

• heinrich6666 December 5, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

I don’t call it a hoax because it’s implausible. I call it a hoax because it’s a little too plausible. The story sounds too pat. The amount of money sounds unrealistic.

• Calypso_1 December 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Extortion & blackmail are not that complicated and any good con is going to have the targets available resources scouted in advance.