RIP Nelson Mandela

Nelson_MandelaAnti-apartheid activist and South Africa’s first black president, Nelson Mandela, is dead today at 95.

Via NBCNews.com:

Though he was in power for only five years, Mandela was a figure of enormous moral influence the world over – a symbol of revolution, resistance and triumph over racial segregation.

He inspired a generation of activists, left celebrities and world leaders star-struck, won the Nobel Peace Prize and raised millions for humanitarian causes.

South Africa is still bedeviled by challenges, from class inequality to political corruption to AIDS. And with Mandela’s death, it has lost a beacon of optimism.

Feb. 1990: NBC’s Robin Lloyd reports on Nelson Mandela on the eve of his release from prison in 1990. Mandela’s name has become a rallying cry for the overthrow of apartheid, but no one but prison guards and visitors have actually seen him since he was jailed 27 years ago.

In his jailhouse memoirs, Mandela wrote that even after spending so many years in a Spartan cell on Robben Island – with one visitor a year and one letter every six months – he still had faith in human nature.

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion,” he wrote in “Long Walk to Freedom.”

“People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

Keep reading.

21 Comments on "RIP Nelson Mandela"

1. world fiend | Dec 5, 2013 at 5:59 pm |

countdown to the Zimbabwification of South Africa: T-Minus 10, 9, 8…

2. jasonpaulhayes | Dec 5, 2013 at 6:21 pm |

Wasn’t Mandela linked to several Russian and Chinese backed Terrorist groups whose operations have lead to destruction, record-level violent crimes, chaos, and genocide?

A changed man or not, it’s arguable his sentencing was appropriate.

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 5, 2013 at 8:20 pm |

WHO are YOU backing, everytime u put gas in your car? Any of your clothing made in sweatshops? Have you ever heard of Abraham Lincoln?
      Do you celebrate thanksgiving? (Genocide) record level violence? Talk about tunnel vision smh

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm |

I don’t own an automobile, the shirt I’m wearing has lasted 8 yrs, no I don’t celebrate thanksgiving and what about Lincoln?

Mandela is no Mahatma Gandhi, he pleaded guilty to taking part in the orchestration of several bombings.

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm |

I didn’t ask how long u had ur shirt, I asked WHERE was it made? and I find it hard to believe you only own one piece of clothing, but u have internet access… And if you are american and don’t know about Abe Lincoln, you’re a bigger hypocrite than I thought. the biggest terrorist group on earth today, is america. smh.. have fun with ur head in the sand 😉

• . . . and we had Mandela on the terrorist watch list until 2008.

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:31 am |

My clothing comes from thrift stores, rejected clothing that I purchase wholesale and have to repair to wear or clothing that’s gifted to me occasionally.

Why do you keep mentioning Lincoln? What about Lincoln, his high pitched voice and his wooden teeth? There is plenty of disagreement between myself and my countrymen but that’s hardly a reason to become an Expat.

“You can never go home again, Oatman… but I guess you can shop there.”

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 am |

I repeat, if you all you can recall of Lincoln is his teeth and voice, ur ignorance is seriously exposed. I would love to see YOUR EXAMPLE of a man worthy of respect and honor. Answering my question of your clothing, only showed you haven’t even considered the relevance. Even the FREE WILL/SALVATION ARMIES, etc. support “sweatshops”. I guess the mountain of things YOU support, directly or indirectly don’t count, since you’re obviously not aware of them. Tunnel Vision must be nice.

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:52 am |

What the hell does Lincoln have to do with anything?

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:56 am |

I’m gonna just chalk it up to you pretending not to understand what u read. Good night…. anybody with a mind can see the point in mentioning Lincoln, considering the CHARGES YOU HURL at MANDELA.. Only difference is, Lincoln never did time. ill let u forget the rest out wise guy 🙂

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 1:02 am |

So you’re not going to make your point about Lincoln?

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 6, 2013 at 1:05 am |

u can’t be this slow lol.. Goodnight.

• Did you know that Gandhi spent his youth in South Africa and developed his satyagraha philosophy of nonviolence there? The ANC was founded at the same time, and, being heavily influenced by Gandhi, used his passive resistance methods for 50 years.
          They didn’t work.

• Sean Lee Walthour | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:35 am |

exactly, nobody claims the man is perfect, however painting him in such light by Jason, makes me suspicious of his motives and/or level of naivete…

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:41 am |

He should get a Bhagat Singh Prize.

• And the link was..?

• Is that you, Dr. Moeller?

Umshini wami is absolutely an appropriate response to the Nazi salute.

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 12:09 am |

You are aware he was found guilty and served 27 yrs in prison?

• Yep. Under the rule of the National Party–the neo-fascist weirdos who wrote that article. All defendants refused to appeal as a matter of principle well before the trial was over.

• jasonpaulhayes | Dec 6, 2013 at 1:00 am |

So when you’re targeting Fascists the innocent victims are just Collateral Damage?

3. InfvoCuernos | Dec 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

What movies did this guy make?