Affluenza Teen Again Given Probation For Drunk Driving Slaughter

Photo: WFAA

Photo: WFAA

Disinfonauts may recall with disgust an earlier post “Rich Kid Kills Four Pedestrians While Driving Drunk And Gets Probation Because of ‘Affluenza.’” Now that same rich kid, Ethan Couch, has again been given probation by the same Texas judge who sentenced him last time, instead of the 20 years of jail time called for by prosecutors. Report from AP via NY Daily News:

FORT WORTH, Texas — A judge on Wednesday ordered a Texas teenager who was sentenced to 10 years’ probation in a drunken-driving crash that killed four people to go to a rehabilitation facility paid for by his parents.

Judge Jean Boyd again decided to give no jail time for Ethan Couch, defense attorney Reagan Wynn and prosecutors told reporters after the hearing, which was closed to the public. Prosecutors had asked Boyd to sentence him to 20 years in state custody on charges related to two people who were severely injured.

The sentence stirred fierce debate, as has the testimony of a defense expert who says Couch’s wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility. The expert termed the condition “affluenza.”

Wynn and prosecutor Richard Alpert would not identify the facility where Couch will go or where it is located. The teen’s family previously had offered to pay for Couch to go to a $450,000-a-year rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif…

[continues at AP via NY Daily News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

32 Comments on "Affluenza Teen Again Given Probation For Drunk Driving Slaughter"

1. Calypso_1 | Feb 6, 2014 at 11:30 am |

“One or the other of you is forever in the way. How do I know what injury you have done to my horses?”

2. BuzzCoastin | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm |

no worse than Bush lying about Iraq
    no worse than Obumer killing aMerkins without due process
    no worse than when cops kill blacks by police car suicide

unpunished nefariousness among rich kids
    pales in comparison to the banksters, the political class & corprate oligarchs
    but that is so common now
    it’s not even news worthy

• What happens to a society when the law itself is corrupted?

• BuzzCoastin | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm |

Throw away holiness and wisdom,
        and people will be a hundred times happier.
        Throw away morality and justice,
        and people will do the right thing.
        Throw away industry and profit,
        and there won’t be any thieves.

If these three aren’t enough,
        just stay at the center of the circle
        and let all things take their course.

• You have more faith in the Merkin people than I.

• BuzzCoastin | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:11 pm |

maybe
            but I’ve traveled wide & far
            lived among many different nations & cultures
            and I’ve never found the need for laws or cops
            in order to be safe
            but I have needed protection in der homeyland
            from cops & gruberment

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:21 pm |

Sad, but true. Unreflective authority is the problem.

• I was a victim of a few of crimes as a kid, so my experience is different, and possibly not representative.

• BuzzCoastin | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm |

bad experiences from childhood
            can be hard to shake
            without conscious effort & reflection
            YMMV
            however, my experience has been 99% positive
            if there is any trouble in regards to law
            it’s usually about money
            and somebody’s or some institution’s lust to have it

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm |

Americans ain’t bad one-on-one.

3. nestazhe265 | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm |

My Uncle Jacob got a year 2013 Audi TT RS
    Coupe by working part time online. imp source B­u­z­z­3­4­.­ℂ­o­m

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm |

Got any tips to beat writer’s block?

• Damien Quinn | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm |

Why would you want to beat writer’s block, it’s the greatest!!

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm |

You’re a maniac! A sick, sick maniac! I’m on Day 4 of What Happens Next with barely a page of progress to show for it. GRRRRRR!! My gorgeous long locks are falling out!

• Damien Quinn | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:11 pm |

Oh, you’re serious, sorry.

Either write the filthiest sex scene ever or write the worst possible development of your plot, either should unstop the bottle. If that doesn’t work just skip on to the next lit room and stop stressing.

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm |

I did the first, on paper and in the hand – didn’t help. Tried the 2nd – the old exploding toilet seat under the protagonist gag. It didn’t help. And I can’t skip to the next lit room because the next lit room is the final one. I’m at the end of this monstrosity. It’s completion anxiety I’m suffering from and all the old tricks aren’t working, even BS commenting hasn’t unglued me from inaction. I’ve been here before, so I know it’s just a matter of waiting. BUT…. My left brain is a SOB task-master and won’t leave me alone!

Sorry, I needed to break character and vent to the Universe.

• Damien Quinn | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:49 pm |

At that point, I leave it for a few days and go for a long run.
            Sorry I can’t be of more help my friend, good luck with it.

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm |

Good advice. Tx

• Try one of these Binaural songs. Maybe it will do the trick and get you out of beta brainwave. Use headphones.

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm |

Tx. Shrinking back into solitude now…

• Completion anxiety . . .
            Yeah, because then what will you do when you’re done?
            Been there, done that.
            Weird how we undermine ourselves.

• American Cannibal | Feb 7, 2014 at 11:19 am |

That’s the exact fear – post-work uselessness – and it comes from basic death anxiety, methinks. Even knowing what it is doesn’t help, though. I just wish I had a little less of it! At least I don’t have insomnia this week, so I got that going for me. Ho-hum. Life as a human.

Actually, Dark Side of the Moon played back-to-back, followed by LedZep 3 actually soothed me yesterday, brought balance back. Well see how today goes….

Cheers!

• Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm |

And I got the gta equivalent by thieving and murdering virtual people from home. Its the same because they’re both basically imaginary.

4. Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm |

Seems fair. You know if this was bizarro world.

5. The Design Flaw | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm |

The next time a poor person goes to jail for stealing, If I were them I
    would claim to have poorlio… affluenza’s sister disease.

6. I wonder if the families of the victims can sue this child’s parents, as well as the judge? If so they should.