Why Engagement Rings Are a Huge Scam

Did you buy or receive an engagement ring? If so, you may enjoy this funny PSA from College Humor. Sure, it’s a joke, but as they say, “Many a true word is spoken in jest.”

22 Comments on "Why Engagement Rings Are a Huge Scam"

1. Oh man, I feel for this scam. A few years back, I spent 5k on a ring, got engaged, and then, thankfully, disengaged. Got the silly ring back, could not return it. Ended up selling the damn thing for $300.
    After I got over that, I realized, had I actually gotten married, the subsequent, inevitable divorce would’ve cost me way more. I figure I got off cheap:)
    Never doing that again.

2. Well crumb!

3. AManCalledDa-da | Feb 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm |

This is so awesome. Too late, but awesome.

4. Anarchy Pony | Feb 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm |

Knew it all already, but they made it funny.

5. DrDavidKelly | Mar 1, 2014 at 2:30 am |

I didnt know about this. I figured it was ancient and pagan or something … huh! My wife has an engagement ring which she bought because well … I have no job. She loves her ring and whilst it may be near worthless it’s pretty and means something to her.

• VaudeVillain | Mar 1, 2014 at 10:41 am |

Various cultures and religions have made the exchange of rings part of the betrothal or marriage process. Most have only women receiving and wearing them, and diamonds weren’t in the mix until, as covered in the bit, DeBeers advertised their way in.

6. emperorreagan | Mar 1, 2014 at 9:21 am |

My wife would’ve been horrified if I spent a bunch of money on a ring.

7. kowalityjesus | Mar 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm |

Was the diamond ring tradition completely fabricated? I am sure it existed in some capacity. If we are insusceptible to all suggestion, we would be callous. To what degree is it unacceptable to beget cultural moor from corporate advertisements? When else in history has it happened?

Does anyone remember those commercials in the 90s? They were very classy and often sent chills down my spine. Leave it to the Dutch to use art to convince the public to buy into a monopoly. It certainly made Karl Jenkins quite wealthy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-X_J36zxeg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU6WQXkiOU

8. Aton Rekoobecaf | Mar 3, 2014 at 4:36 am |

My wife and I waited for opportunity to arise. My ring? Pawn store. Hers? 1.14K solitaire (occlusions and all) $700. Beautiful ring. 10 cents on the dollar.

9. Rus Archer | Mar 3, 2014 at 12:23 pm |

why marriage is a huge scam