Jargon is the Death of Culture

On the Maraya Karena Show, the eponymous host speaks about the under-acknowledged connection between language and reality, and what happens when meaning slips from our patterns of expression:

What will murder all our movements?
JARGON!!!
In this syntactical reality our greatest obstacle to heaven on earth is mindless repetition of stale language.

23 Comments on "Jargon is the Death of Culture"

1. Rus Archer | Feb 4, 2014 at 4:34 pm |

oh, well
    if terence mckenna said so

2. Rus Archer | Feb 4, 2014 at 4:36 pm |

manoman

3. Simon Valentine | Feb 4, 2014 at 5:05 pm |

nah mindless repetition of staleness isn’t that
    besides

the Vietnamese
    *at the Least*
    “beg to differ” (see?)

4. jasonpaulhayes | Feb 4, 2014 at 5:45 pm |

The last 4 seconds summarizes my feelings entirely, the rest was all Jargon.

• American Cannibal | Feb 4, 2014 at 5:51 pm |

You made it that far?

This is my DownVote for the video. Vote down here.

• jasonpaulhayes | Feb 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm |

She for sure gets an up-vote from me so therefore vicariously you do. I’m exhausted by the discourse that leads nowhere and keeps things running the pot we all piss in. It’s whats led me here and kept me here, the humility and introspective gut laugh we have at our own expense, amusement and enlightenment.

This is basically what shes saying… I know I post a lot of music video
        but they are always contextually relevant to the discussion at hand.

5. I feel that she is onto something, but she stopped short. She did mention what I feel is likely the culprit. Authenticity!

I feel that a person can use jargon, as long as it fits within context. However what is the point if not spoken with authenticity?

6. LovelyLady666 | Feb 4, 2014 at 6:27 pm |

I’m cool with jargon, read the book Frindle….which is a children’s book about this exact subject. I don’t like when people shorten entire sentences to their first letters unless it’s under 5 words. It reminds me of newspeak. The flip side of this is people over using adjectives and making redundant statements. That’s WAAAAY more annoying than jargon since you have to cut out the crap in order to get to the ideal.

7. Just total nonsense.

8. jasonpaulhayes | Feb 4, 2014 at 7:05 pm |

McKenna’s Blooming Chrysanthemum smells just like the Amorphophallus Titanum.

9. kowalityjesus | Feb 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm |

There is something to be said relating to what this young lady is saying, which clearly came to a conclusion after some experience and deliberation though a rather naive and platitudinous conclusion.

The idea that “thank you” can be energy-dampening is not new to me, thanking someone like a toadie or too profusely can inflate or burden a person who may just be doing something as a matter of course or with little conscientiousness toward their actions.

I think using jargon in a more general sense is a reflection of an arrogant subset of the hipster-paradigm…to the exclusion of the uninculcated. Also, I think since general English is so nauseatingly widely-known in this day and age, the mono-linguists that comprise the vast majority in the USA sometimes have to feel special when they speak by using unknown terminology. Am I identifying myself in that subset? probably so, lol.

As for Terrance McKenna, there is an example of a genius who was so full of shit to be spilling over the brim.

• Sometimes thanking someone can inflate their ego. However, if one understands that one person’s perspective is only true to them then this can equalize the affect.

I had the same aversion to the hipsterness, only because of Portland. As far as using fancy words, I think it’s great if the word is the perfect choice. I know too many word nerds that would scoff at you for saying this. But that’s their trip.

On McKenna, I read something by his brother Dennis that pretty much agreed with what you had say.

Of course, the fact that all through the ’90s—the peak of Terence’s career as an advocate of psychedelics, especially mushrooms, and especially “heroic doses” in silent darkness—he was living in fearful abstinence raises even more serious questions about his integrity than the complex debate around how much he really believed in hisTimewave’s predictions. Dennis’ account seems to paint a quite tragic picture of his brother being increasingly trapped in the public persona he had created, splitting him between what the audience had come to expect and the realities of his own lived experience. It’s a phenomenon as old as public performance itself.

• kowalityjesus | Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 am |

It’s not just a matter of inflating their ego, it’s a matter of unjustifiably stepping outside your role. You have been purchased at great price, and you’ve got a ‘score sheet’ for the investment you’re making back on a multi-planar time-continuum. It’s weird but that is one facet of the conclusion I am forced to come to. I’m going to make a book about it, and call it Timewave -1. j/k about that last part.

10. Adam's Shadow | Feb 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm |

Jesus Christ I wholeheartedly agree; working as a “professional educator” (teacher) in a “rigorous learning environment” (public school), we are constantly inundated with needless jargon. It clarifies nothing and obfuscates practically everything.

• misinformation | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:07 am |

“Clarify nothing and obfuscate everything”

That sounds like it could be the sacred code of government school teachers. Just kidding?

• Adam's Shadow | Feb 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm |

Meh. It’s partially why I might be leaving the field. That, and the national past time of casual and constant bagging on public schools. The assumption of professional incompetence by people who don’t even know what a competent professional is gets tiring.

• misinformation | Feb 7, 2014 at 9:50 pm |

Of course, since I don’t know you, I can’t comment on your own competence. My experience, also, of course, colors my point-of-view but so does my reading of the history of government schooling. Any rate, no offense meant.

For fun and/or edification and or exacerbation: http://schoolsucksproject.com/

• Adam's Shadow | Feb 8, 2014 at 12:49 am |

No worries, no offense really taken; I was not necessarily referring to you, either. And I understand some of the frustration that many people have with public schools and their teachers, but it’s very disheartening as someone who is new, passionate, and “trying to make a difference” to hear constant criticism to the effect of “school sucks” and “our schools suck.” Which is part of why I may leave, but it’s certainly not the only part.

I still have a belief in public education as a general and overall good for American society, but yes, I definitely appreciate and (somewhat) empathize with the feeling by people (current and former students, parents, etc.) that school is a system of indoctrination and social conformity: I deal with that shit everyday from admin. I also see parents contributing to that conformity in a substantial way: I cannot count how many times I have had to politely correct or even bite my tongue when I hear students spout some religious fundamentalist bullshit about how Harry Potter encourages witchcraft and Satanism, how “The Simpsons” is an immoral show, how hippies in the 1960’s created the peace symbol to brainwash people, or how Young Earth Creationism makes any fucking sense. So it definitely goes both ways.

And after quickly looking at the link you provided, I will say this: the number of public school teachers I know who home-school their own children is depressingly very, very high. So there’s that.

11. Awesome.

12. Culture , overall and overwhelmingly, sucks. So this is good news.

13. terrasodium | Feb 6, 2014 at 6:37 pm |

Is there anything more heart breaking then bambi’s optimistic curiousity of the oncoming headlights just milliseconds before it is renamed the front bumper. on a side note, would naming my three legged dog fourpaws change reality for any reasonable or rational conscious being?pavlov could with time and electricity certainly.