The Lasting Image of the Sochi Olympics: No Toilet Fishing

The Winter Olympics haven’t even started yet, but we’d like to bet that the lasting image of these games will be the toilet etiquette sign captured by Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant whose tweeted photograph has gone viral in a major way:

sochi toilet

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

24 Comments on "The Lasting Image of the Sochi Olympics: No Toilet Fishing"

1. Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 10:17 am |

First, who would think to fish in a toilet? The only “fish” I see in the toilet, I have put them there and there is no way I’ll fish those. Second, can anyone tell me what the lowest one on the right is? It looks like a guy with a fish in a weird position, and I’m confused as to the meaning.

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 10:55 am |

Mmm.. Maybe it’s a “Don’t Flush Sanitary Napkins” sign? That’s the only explanation I have for the leg split with hand position. Or, it could be a douche. Don’t throw douche-bags in toilets. Putin personally came up with that one as a terrorist defensive measure.

• Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 11:00 am |

Yeah but a Male took the picture, so I would imagine this is a Men’s bathroom thing. That would rule out the napkins or the douche, unless you have use for guys I don’t know about. I’m still dumbfounded about the fishing too.

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 11:05 am |

You never douched your a-hole? But I digress…

Toilet Fishing is the Russian version of Let’s Go Fishin’. And it’s illegal now because hooks were getting stuck in asses, raising ER costs. You know how it is…

• Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 11:33 am |

So a couple of things:

1- I wash my a-hole, but no douche thank you. Which, by the way, I take it as the English meaning of douche, which is shower in French. So I shower, but no douche, if it makes any sense.

2- And no, I don’t really know how it is, ’cause I’ve never done fishin’ in toilets…

We better stop now, this is degenerating…

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm |

So have the Olympics. Let’s stop the Games too.

• Bfodr04IEAAEYpS.jpg:large

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:08 pm |

Think this Sochi sign points the way to the Monkee-See-Monkee-Do Game Room?

• Calypso_1 | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:10 pm |

I believe that is supposed to be a syringe.

• Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm |

Yup, I think you’ve got it. A syringe would fit with the demented position of the character. But that still leaves the fishing as suspicious.

• If so, I imagine it is an ineffective deterrent.

2. jasonpaulhayes | Feb 6, 2014 at 10:18 am |

I love reading about the “Cleaning Up” going on around Sochi knowing that includes the systematic removal of the impoverished, putting fascias on crumbling infrastructure and planting fake plastic trees. The least of Russia’s issues is Toilet Fishing for Trouser Trout but its a great mental image in which I see Putin there fishing in the toilet, pulling out one of those adhesive chrome Jesus fish to stick on the back of his armored transport.

#freepussyriot #chocolatejesus

• American Cannibal | Feb 6, 2014 at 10:34 am |

Gotta feel bad for the Russian people in general, though. The Western mockery is going to be another blow to their self-esteem, a little more salt in the $50 Billion gaping wound.

• jasonpaulhayes | Feb 6, 2014 at 10:53 am |

Much love to Mother Russia and the Russian people… the most worthy of adversaries. Perhaps one day the most worthy of matrons to our own Lady Liberty.

• nestazhe265 | Feb 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm |

My Uncle Aiden got an almost new cream
      Lincoln MKS Sedan by working part time off of a laptop. have a peek here B­u­z­z­3­4­.­ℂ­o­m

3. What’s up with the no standing to pee?

• Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm |

A woman was on the consulting group and insisted you shouldn’t pee like that…

• I suppose, but I thought Russia is all macho. I’d look at that sign and laugh.

• Gjallarbru | Feb 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm |

There’s another way to look at it. Maybe it’s “no splashing” if you pee standing up.

4. alizardx | Feb 7, 2014 at 7:44 am |

one of the RU ministers accused Western journalists of damaging the hotel rooms themselves to make RU look bad based on what was seen in the bathroom security cams. (you can google for this, it’s all over the place)

• American Cannibal | Feb 7, 2014 at 8:33 am |

I read they have the new I.C.U.P. Camera from Tyco installed above every toilet in Sochi to prevent bathroom tissue theft.

Hard times.