Dying Fred Phelps Excommunicated from Westboro Baptist Church

Fred Phelps 10-29-2002Fred Phelps, notable homophobe (catchphrase, “God Hates Fags”) was the face and voice of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church. Now his estranged son has revealed not only that Phelps is dying, but that he was excommunicated from his own church. What could have happened? Did he have a change of heart about gay culture? From Nathan Phelps’ Facebook page:

I’ve learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the “God Hates Fags” Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the “church” back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he’s caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I’m bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

15 Comments on "Dying Fred Phelps Excommunicated from Westboro Baptist Church"

1. Anarchy Pony | Mar 16, 2014 at 9:21 pm |

Catharsis.

2. jasonpaulhayes | Mar 16, 2014 at 10:00 pm |

I was honestly just talking yesterday about how I planned to convert and join his Church… I’m also convinced “You’re gonna eat your babies”.

3. Joyce Bunting | Mar 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm |

I wonder if the WBC congregation and the remaining Phelpses are planning on staging one of their protest performances when they finally plant this sorry SOB

4. Rhoid Rager | Mar 16, 2014 at 11:28 pm |

boy is Fred Phelps in for a big surprise!

5. Pretty Sure they Excommunicated him so that the STATE Would be stuck
    with paying for his LAME Ass during the final days of his healthcare
    debacle. I am sure the CHURCH Couldn’t afford to lose that money, They
    use those funds for so many MORE important things…….Pathetic!

6. Suitable memorial: Public outhouse?

7. Mick-Doscious | Mar 17, 2014 at 10:34 am |

My only hope is during the moment that the last glimmer from his eye starts to fade away, that he realizes what a worthless human being he was; that is true hell, when he will meet the person he could have been, then die.

8. Bartow R. | Mar 17, 2014 at 11:27 am |

I personally don’t think heaven exists. I do think that if I am wrong Mr. Fred is not getting in…

9. GregForest | Mar 17, 2014 at 11:54 am |

St. Pete, “Please enter the door to the left.”

10. That’s odd, I seem to remember posting a comment to this. It could be Disqus is being glitchy again.
    Or maybe I posted the comment on FB and not here.

11. ChristianDystopian | Mar 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm |

well, they disturbed funerals & memorials I wonder if they will picket & disturb His funeral

12. bajacalla | Mar 18, 2014 at 1:21 am |

hospitals go by next of kin, not by theology.

13. bajacalla | Mar 18, 2014 at 1:22 am |

yeah, they can, if one of them is legally designated as next of kin.