Hawking: We’ll Colonize The Moon Within 50 Years, Mars By 2100

320px-Physicist_Stephen_Hawking_in_Zero_Gravity_NASAStephen Hawking joined in a two-and-a-half-hour live broadcast from the International Space Station and Mission Control in Houston on March 16th, telling viewers that our future is in space and that we’ll have colonized the Moon within 50 years and Mars by 2100. It’s a message he’s been preaching for some time and with thousands of people clamoring to join the one-way mission to Mars planned for 2025, it seems his message has resonance…

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

9 Comments on "Hawking: We’ll Colonize The Moon Within 50 Years, Mars By 2100"

1. Thurlow Weed | Mar 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm |

My application form is already submitted, I want to be a laser cannon operator. If I am chosen I will still post on this blog, I won’t forget what it was like to be a pathetic Earthling, don’t you worry.

2. emperorreagan | Mar 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm |

I know! We can store our excess labor on the moon instead of prisons! And if you have too much, well, machines fail and it’s unfortunate that the moon doesn’t have an atmosphere.

• Eric_D_Read | Mar 17, 2014 at 8:49 pm |

Space ghettos…the final frontier.

• InfvoCuernos | Mar 17, 2014 at 9:38 pm |

I had always thought we would colonize Antarctica first for that roll, but I guess Snow Super Prison doesn’t have the pizzazz that Space Super Prison does.

• Rhoid Rager | Mar 18, 2014 at 11:44 pm |

Snow prisons are quite effective. Even though this is the only souvenir pic I brought back from Rura Penthe, trust me, they ran a tight ship there.

3. Anarchy Pony | Mar 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm |

Who’s we?

4. DrDavidKelly | Mar 18, 2014 at 2:03 am |

Hawking, living out his little MS dream … I’ll tell you what the next 50 years involves – plodding. Trudging through the quagmire of human shit . Economic crap, environmental BS, cultural whatever and religious go fuck yourself. Why go to the moon? Why go anywhere when there’s plentyo planet to rape. Sorry Apple enthusiasts we’ve still got a lot of marketing to do yet.