Painful Discharge for Life: Get Ready for Gonorrhea That Never, Ever Goes Away

princ_rm_photo_of_gonorrhea_bacteriaRemember when gonorrhea and syphilis could be treated with a discreet visit to the local health clinic and a dose of penicillin? Well, those days are going to be over very soon. Antibiotic-resistant strains of gonorrhea are spreading among the sexually active, and the disease could soon become untreatable. If you don’t remember from junior high health class, gonorrhea symptoms include a white, yellow, or green discharge from the penis or vagina (or anus or throat), itching, and soreness. It can make both men and women sterile if left untreated. Oh! And a good percentage of men and women remain asymptomatic!

Via The Verge:

…penicillin and various tetracyclines have all stopped working against the most prevalent strains. This means that today’s gonorrhea patient has very few treatment options left. And with symptoms like burning, swelling of the testicles, vaginal discharge and anal itching, it’s not exactly something that you want to leave untreated. Unfortunately, the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) thinks that emerging resistant strains will one day take the last remaining first-line treatment option away — a treatment that currently consists of a cephalosporin injection combined with an oral dose of either azithromycin or doxycycline. The government agency outlined how that scenario could unfold in a study released today.

By analyzing long-term surveillance data for 17 US cities between 1991 and 2006, researchers were able to trace how gonorrhea became resistant to ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic that lost its CDC recommendation in 2007 because studies demonstrated that 13.8 percent of patient samples were resistant to the drug.

The study’s results are alarming, but not altogether surprising. The researchers found that increased resistance leads to an increase in gonorrhea cases. That’s because being infected with a resistant strain lengthens the amount of time it takes to treat it, giving the infected party more time to pass it on to others.

Wrap it up and keep reading.

13 Comments on "Painful Discharge for Life: Get Ready for Gonorrhea That Never, Ever Goes Away"

1. Anarchy Pony | Mar 12, 2014 at 4:59 pm |

Don’t be a fool, wrap your tool. Or it may fall off.

• Don’t bother, unless you plan on being a father.

• If the glove doesn’t fit, don’t fuck that shit.

• Matt Staggs | Mar 13, 2014 at 10:09 am |

I was once charged with searching an entire psychiatric unit for the presence of body lice. Perhaps one day I’ll tell that tale. If you’re extremely unlucky.

• Anarchy Pony | Mar 13, 2014 at 11:56 am |

God I hope not…

• Calypso_1 | Mar 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm |

Ha, we have to check everyone…did you ever have an outbreak? Imagine how much fun that is on a locked girls adolescent unit. I’ve never seen so many cat fights.

• Matt Staggs | Mar 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm |

We didn’t find anyone with it during the search. I had to check the men and one of the female nurses had to check the women. What had happened was that we had a garden variety sociopath on the unit hiding out from the law (I think) who banged a paranoid schizophrenic in the chapel. He had the lice and she got it. Long story short, I had to look at a lot of psychotic wang that afternoon. I complained and said that a doctor or nurse should do it since I wasn’t qualified to conduct a medical exam, but I got one of those “Do it or it’s your job” threats from the whackjob head nurse. These days I just would have bailed. Not so, then.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm |

We had to start it because the popo would send us their infested whether they were loco or not.

• Hey you, don’t be silly: put a rubber on that willy.

2. Evilbughead | Mar 12, 2014 at 7:00 pm |

No Glove No Love!!

3. InfvoCuernos | Mar 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm |

So should they change the name to “here-to-stay-arhea”?

4. A little thought experiment: before the prevalent concept of drug/antibiotic resistance I am curious if there were cases in which they did not work in the early days of use. What explanation was used for failure if any? Could it have been drug resistance back then? Alternatively, are there any cases today where antibiotic failure was explained for a reason other than resistance(my guess is no to this one)? Could other explanations be true? Is there a plague of drug resistance or a plague of the drug resistance meme?

Given the I believe in the concept as it is commonly understood, but I can’t help but poke holes in my own belief structures.

• Rebecca Brandt | Apr 29, 2014 at 7:37 am |

One thing that can happen is that the patient doesn’t take all of his/her meds and the infection isn’t quite killed off. The remaining organisms are the ones that survived the incomplete treatment, and their offspring are now even more likely to be resistant. This is why you must take all the antibiotic pills the doc gives you and go back for more if you think you’re still sick.