Oklahoma School District To Adopt Hobby Lobby President’s “Bible Curriculum”

Steve GreenA future in which the fanatical billionaire heads of our nation’s largest retail chains dictate what is taught in schools. Religion News Service reports:

The Mustang, Okla., school board voted Monday to adopt the first year of the Museum of the Bible Curriculum, an ambitious four-year public school elective on the narrative, history and impact of the Bible developed by Hobby Lobby president Steve Green.

In September 2016, Jerry Pattengale, head of the Green Scholars Initiative, which is overseeing its development, hopes to place it in at least 100 high schools; by the following year, “thousands.”

If successful, Green, whose family’s wealth is estimated at upward of $3 billion, would galvanize the movement to teach the Bible academically in public schools, a movement born after the Supreme Court banned school-sanctioned devotion in the 1960s but whose steady progress in the last decades has been somewhat hampered.

The Green curriculum ”is like nothing we’ve seen before,” said Charles Haynes, senior scholar at the First Amendment Center and editor of a booklet sent out to all schools by the U.S. Department of Education in 2000 on teaching religion in public schools. “It’s unique in its ambition and its scope and its use of the latest technologies. I think school districts far from Oklahoma will take note.”

In an award acceptance speech last April before the National Bible Association, Green expressed hope that such courses would become mandatory, whereas now they are usually elective.

17 Comments on "Oklahoma School District To Adopt Hobby Lobby President’s “Bible Curriculum”"

1. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 17, 2014 at 10:41 am |

The notion that financial wealth proves intelligence is like saying that the Octomom has what it takes to be Surgeon General.

>Sigh< America, you are a stupid whoore. Enjoy your AIDS.

• Anarchy Pony | Apr 17, 2014 at 11:42 am |

America’s like a middle school dropout at this point. Dumb as hell, but doesn’t realize it.

• JohnFrancisBittrich | Apr 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm |

Ehhh, there are plenty of public school districts in the US where honestly dropping out is pretty much the smartest thing you can do. I dropped out after 8th grade and 15 years later I don’t actually regret it at all. Probably just don’t realize how dumb I am, but I’m glad I don’t get beat up literally every day for being a “punk rock faggot” anymore with tacit encouragement from the administration, and I’m glad my ability to reason and act with agency wasn’t irrevocably harmed by the prison-like atmosphere I was forced to be a part of during those years.

• Anarchy Pony | Apr 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm |

Yes, generalization bad, I get it.

• JohnFrancisBittrich | Apr 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm |

No worries. I lurk here enough to know we actually share opinions on almost everything so I’m not trying to call you out. Just advocating on behalf of my peeps. Recent and potential dropouts especially need to hear that their life isn’t over and they needn’t feel shame.

• Gjallarbru | Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 pm |

You know what’s funny? After two university degrees, I really don’t think all that schooling really gave me one bit more of IQ. It just gave me tools I could have acquired by other means and bits of paper that people tend to like. Yeah, some paper opened doors, but other than that, schools aren’t all that useful.

Even worse that I never listened in class, usually doodling to my heart’s content. Hell, I learned more on my own than I ever could in school.

2. Gjallarbru | Apr 17, 2014 at 11:01 am |

I don’t even have the words necessary to express the disappointment in the backwards, stupid endoctrination this represents. How can this be? How can a book, who’s origin is historically dubious at best, still inspire such blind faith? Believe if you want to, but leave schools out of it or humanity is doomed.

3. Anarchy Pony | Apr 17, 2014 at 11:40 am |

Down the rabbit hole folks. It’s only gonna get worse from here.

4. Ah, the mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers of Jesustan strike again.

5. BuzzCoastin | Apr 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm |

considering the homeland oligarchs
    already have inserted a lot of disinfo into schools already
    (with liberty & justice for all, ect)
    so that more disinfo like this stuff only makes it more obvious
    to those paying attenton

6. Echar Lailoken | Apr 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm |

If I was parent there, I would move them to another district.

7. “to teach the Bible academically in public schools”
    We should be doing that anyway, except it should be called “Mythology,” and it should include many of the other worldwide mythologies along with this particular one.

8. Ellen Joyce | Apr 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm |

This makes me wish I could turn into an enormous green rage monster.

9. Is he trying to turn these young people against the church by forcing religion upon them? That’s how you turn young people against the church.

I encourage this douche to try and breach the wall between church and state, he will find out just how sick protecting this Real Americans are.

10. Hoarfraust | Apr 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm |

At this rate, in another 20 years the US will be back to burning witches and blaming an angry god for failing crops.

11. So does this mean my faith based belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster can finally be lawfully inserted into school curricula nationwide? I mean…how are America’s children to know right from wrong if they can’t be touched by His Noodly Appendage during school hours??