Pot Cookie Grew Tiny Arms And Pushed College Student Off Balcony

Composite sketch of suspect (based on original work by Jorge Barrios -CC)

Composite sketch of suspect (based on original work by Jorge Barrios -CC)

I’m assuming that’s what happened. Why else would the media “blame” a marijuana edible in the falling death of a college student?

Via Christian Science Monitor:

A Congolese exchange student jumped to his death after eating a marijuana cookie that his friend legally purchased in one of Colorado‘s recreational pot shops, authorities said Wednesday.

An autopsy report lists marijuana intoxication as a “significant contributing factor” in the death of 19-year-old Levy Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo who fell from a motel balcony on March 11.

Levy was a Wyoming college student who was visiting Denver on spring break. Investigators believe Pongi and his friends came to Colorado to try marijuana, Weiss-Samaras said.

Keep reading. But look behind you first.

38 Comments on "Pot Cookie Grew Tiny Arms And Pushed College Student Off Balcony"

1. You wouldn’t believe the number of times a bottle of Wild Turkey has punched someone, then said I did it.

2. Ted Heistman | Apr 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm |

To be fair edibles can be really strong, especially for a first time marajuana user.

• Ted Heistman | Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm |

I’ve had paranoid freak outs from edibles. It’s easier to eat too much than smoke too much

• Adam's Shadow | Apr 6, 2014 at 6:05 pm |

Me: “I haven’t moved from this couch in three hours, have I?”

Friend: “No, you have not.”

Me: “I never should have eaten that second cookie.”

• Number1Framer | Apr 4, 2014 at 8:43 pm |

Oh yes. Blinds shut with lights off completely silent on the couch afraid to go to the basement and check the laundry because one of my neighbors might see me. Edibles are a bitch indeed if you’re not prepped. But I wouldn’t have jumped off a balcony because I would have been too scared to go on the balcony in the first place because someone might see me. LOL

3. I ate a Jeffery Brownie a month ago and it was so strong that I died… but I was reborn. Jesus also died and was reborn at 33, so I guess that makes me a little bit like Jesus.

4. Internettubes | Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm |

Wow, I didn’t know disinfo was on the web. Shoulda guessed, everyone is nowadays. I loved your books back in the day.

Saddens me to see that you’ve devolved into the new trend of liberal snark and arrogance. Sad to see that you’ve resorted to article headlines like this one.

No, the MSM isn’t saying the cookie grew arms. Yes, pot played a role in this young mans death. And let’s not forget that point here, we are talking about a human life and I don’t think making light of the situation by putting up a picture of a gingerbread man is very respectful to the young man’s friends and family.

To say weed didn’t play a role is just an ignorant position to take, and a position that won’t get the legalization movement very far with reasonable Americans. THC is a fucking drug. A fucking psychoactive drug at that. Everyone will react differently and yes, it will lead to some unfortunate instances that, yes, may lead to death. That’s not to say it should be illegal, I mean shit, how many people worldwide have died from alcohol during the time it took me to write this? 10? 30? 100? Who knows, but it’s probably more than weed has in the last year or two combined.

But, let’s not be hypocrites and sit back and say that pot is 100% safe and nothing bad will ever happen if we legalize it. We need to face reality and the reality is that weed being illegal is ruining countless more lives than it would if it was legal. Most of all, let’s stop with the fucking snark and show some fucking respect for this young man and the tragedy his family is dealing with as we speak.

• Ted Heistman | Apr 4, 2014 at 4:43 pm |

You are taking this way too serious. Think of a

• It wasn’t the weed that killed him, it was the fall off a balcony and sudden stop.
      #occupybalconies

“Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped
      out of a building. What a tragedy.’ What a dick! Fuck him, he’s an
      idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn’t he take off on the ground
      first? Check it out. You don’t see ducks lined up to catch elevators to
      fly south—they fly from the ground, ya moron, quit ruining it for
      everybody. He’s a moron, he’s dead—good, we lost a moron, fuckin’
      celebrate. Wow, I just felt the world get lighter. We lost a moron! I
      don’t mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am, so that’s the
      way it comes out. ” Bill Hicks

• Jonas Planck | Apr 4, 2014 at 6:09 pm |

If snark is really that onerous to you, then you have a lot of disappointment ahead as you begin to explore this internet thing which you’ve obviously just recently discovered… For one thing, you’re going to find out VERY soon that liberals don’t have a monopoly on it. And then you’re going to discover that it is so universally pandemic that snark-shaming will earn you nothing but more snark, since you’re practically the only person I’ve ever seen that does it without engaging in any actual snark WHILE you’re doing it. In fact, for your own good, you may just need to abstain from looking at comment threads entirely, because nothing you do will ever make the snark go away. You’re going to have to either ignore it or learn to live with it.

• Rhoid Rager | Apr 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm |

You should have stopped at the first paragraph. Stick around for a while so you can develop a more nuanced opinion about this place. Nice nick, btw.

• Adam's Shadow | Apr 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm |

Disinfo’s been on the web since the late nineties.

• Pot IS 100% safe and nothing bad will ever happen from it’s legalization, while conversely a literal fuck-ton of good will come, and current bad will end, from legalizing it.

5. Drugs are so In right now.

• Thurlow Weed | Apr 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm |

I know, right. Like the 60’s. And, the 70’s. And the 80’s and 90’s.

• Acid was better in the 70’s than it is today. Now it’ll kill you.

• So through the process of 40 years passing, the molecule LSD is now more potent than the molecule LSD?

Did purple become more purple as well? Dogs are more dog with the passage of time? 5 is more stronger and potent than the number 5 was in the 70’s ??

• Uhh, I have to explain this to you? Most hard drugs nowadays have harmful chemicals as filler that kill people all the time. Your LSD is not just LSD anymore. Plus drugs are so much more potent now that it is easy to overdose.

• but… but…what filler would be needed for a simple dot of dried liquid on a piece of paper?
            I can see someone naive purchasing from a stranger a dot of dried honey or something, but even then no one’s dying.

And again you state that JUST (and ONLY) because it’s now and not then, for no other reason, drugs (all of them?) are just magically more potent, and again I have to say, if you compared a molecule of H2O, with a molecule of H2O, they’re is no difference, even if the comparison is done between decades. Same with LSD, it’s a molecule, its manufacture process is well known, and if someone were trying to make fake LSD they have about 10230309 trillion options that are harmless, and the incentive of not murdering someone to keep them away from using dangerous chemicals. What filler would someone possible want to put into LSD?
            Your LSD is most certainly just LSD. It is so potent already and has been that way since it’s discovery, that there is no filler or booster or whatever you’re imagining that anyone could possibly want to put in it.

Come on dude, you know that this is one of those ‘dad’ myths used to scare kids, like “pot is soooo much stronger these days kids, just because y’know it is, cuz I say so…”

There is no magical difference in potency between whats grown/produced today and in the past, certainly not just because of the passage of time.

• Damian Caligula | Apr 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm |

Bullshit. It’s still the same drug.

• The 1790’s? Yeah, I agree.

6. We have no trouble blaming alcohol when drunk kids wander into rivers and drown.

7. Dingbert | Apr 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm |

Did anyone else take their “How much do you know about marijuana” quiz and realize a bunch of the answers were totally wrong?

8. BuzzCoastin | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:14 pm |

Every day in America, another 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes.
    info from MADD (mothers against civil rights)

9. I’ve fallen off balconies drunk several times. That’ll never make the news.

10. “Marijuana Intoxication” just doesn’t sound like a legit thing. No one calls it intoxication when someone’s had a lot of coffee and is a bit jittery/wired.

• Floyd_Lloyd | Apr 5, 2014 at 2:33 pm |

Nobody jumps off a building after visiting Starbucks, but drunks do it all the time.

• Dingbert | Apr 6, 2014 at 1:04 am |

In fact, caffeine intoxication is a real thing. In DSM-IV, it was coded the same as PCP intoxication. And, depending on the person, it can take as few as two cups of coffee. So most of the world are totally stoned when they walk out the door in the morning.
      Three cups can cause an irregular heartbeat, but how often do they run a 250 substance panel on heart disease related deaths? Could kill more people than alcohol. Who knows?

11. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm |

” . . . Levy Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo . . . ”

I wish someone would point this out to Paul Ryan. Black people turn out to come in handy after all. Any time you need to justify a repressive domestic policy, there’s some remote corner of the world we can suddenly care about.

• Liam_McGonagle | Apr 5, 2014 at 4:31 pm |

N.B. A bit acerbic, but taken in context, I hope you’ll know what I mean.

12. Matt Staggs | Apr 5, 2014 at 7:31 pm |

Here ya go: Last Saturday, a drunk 18 year-old at Arizona State University ALSO fell ten stories from a balcony and died after attending an off-campus party held by a frat. Didn’t get any national coverage. Also see a lot of “Alcohol was involved” and “alcohol may have been a factor”. https://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=asu+alcohol+balcony+mclendon&ncl=d5rRnvJwsnkmD7MpXzD-k_Kl5e-WM&cf=all&scoring=d