Researchers Claim They Have Located The Holy Grail At A Church In Spain

holy grailThe Irish Times reports:

Spanish historians now claim to have tracked down the Holy Chalice, the cup from which Christ was supposed to have drunk during his last supper, in a church in León, in northern Spain.

Margarita Torres and José Ortega del Río have spent three years researching the history of the chalice and, on Wednesday, presented in León a co-written book containing their findings.

The onyx chalice itself, they explain, is contained within another, antique cup known as the Chalice of Doña Urruca, which sits in León’s basilica of Saint Isidore. The historians say it has been there since the 11th century.

The duo had initially been researching the history of some Islamic remains in the Saint Isidore basilica. However, their discovery of two medieval Egyptian documents which mentioned the chalice of Christ caused them to change course.

Those parchments told of how Muslims took the sacred cup from the Christian community in Jerusalem to Cairo. It was then given to an emir in Denia, on Spain’s Mediterranean coast, in return for help he gave to Egyptians who were suffering a famine. During medieval times, much of Spain was under Muslim rule, but the cup subsequently came into the possession of Christian King Ferdinand I of Castile.

The historians’ research has been backed up by a scientific dating process which estimates that the cup in question was made between 200 BC and 100 AD. They insist there is no doubt that this is the cup that the early Christians revered as the chalice used at the last supper.

28 Comments on "Researchers Claim They Have Located The Holy Grail At A Church In Spain"

1. Francis Rice | Apr 4, 2014 at 10:11 am |

You have chosen… poorly.

2. Gjallarbru | Apr 4, 2014 at 10:20 am |

What the article says is: “we have found some cup that some people at some point really believed was the cup Christ drank from”. Well, good for them.

• Anarchy Pony | Apr 4, 2014 at 10:40 am |

Why would a bunch of poor religious cultists 2000 years ago have a gold and jewel encrusted chalice?

• Gjallarbru | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:17 am |

Well that’s simple, because the rich Church made it up for its own prestige. It wouldn’t be the first time Christianity made up some relics in those times, as history has proven.

• Earthstar | Apr 4, 2014 at 12:17 pm |

the original cup was onyx, the external gold and jewels were added later, although, even an onyx cup would have been priceless at the time. Then again, even poor cults often have a few precious ceremonial items.

• Evoshandor | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:17 pm |

i was going to point out how unlikely it was that Jesus, who, as I understand it, was basically homeless, would possess a gold, jewel encrusted chalice; you got here first.

• RIGHT! We have a winner!

• Really interesting special character substitutions. See if I use angle brackets again. [missing emoticon]

• question: do I blockquote myself?

also,

¿ÿ don’t think ur doing it right wrong‽

3. so…..who’s gonna take the first drink? Anyone……anyone?

4. mannyfurious | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:20 am |

All you need to know about the validity of the story (and of the news “media” in general) is that there is no historical mention of any kind of grail until the middle ages when some Christian romance writers adopted the idea of the “Philosopher’s Stone” and eventually transmorgified it into the “Cup of Christ.” You can literally trace the evolution of the idea through the literature. It went from being the Philosopher’s Stone to the serving plate of the last supper to a chalice (with many stops in between). I’m not even particularly well-educated on the whole thing, but I’ve read a handful of medieval romances and commentaries thereof.

• Make’s sense to me; I had figured out the same of the ark of the covenant, not through research, but experience; because once I experienced it, all the texts made complete sense to me, and I could actually comprehend what it was referring too. And I have also come across the idea that Israel when mentioned is referring to a state of mind– It seems to me, that all the script is hermetic poetry, but the best way to hide that and control the masses is by replacing the original meaning with something more mundane and physical in the realm of perspective, so when you read it, you don’t try to understand what it means, you think you already do.

• I mean it even says right there in the story that their primary source was a medieval Egyptian text.

Hundreds of years later, the scholars of the Islamic Golden Era are still laughing their asses off…

Machiavelli who?

5. Thurlow Weed | Apr 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm |

Is there any essential difference between finding the Holy Grail and finding a crucifix inside of a potato? Yes, there is: rubes will pay a lot more to hear about the Holy Grail.

6. BuzzCoastin | Apr 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm |

now if they could just find some evidence of Mr. Jesus
    a god who didn’t bothef to leave any credible hstorical record of his visit

even UFOerz laugh at the Jesus story

• Have you ever seen the conspiracy film “The Ring of Power”? That film claims that Jesus was Cesarian son of Cleopatra and either Mark Antony or Julius Caesar… also the last King (Heir of the God who saves, Sun of Righteousness) of the Ptolemaic Dynasty of Egypt. I’m no historian but I suppose it does fit the timeline, and if Jesus were an actual historical figure, I can’t name a more likely candidate for him to be than Cesarian.

• Gjallarbru | Apr 4, 2014 at 2:26 pm |

It would also make sense as many would say religion is a tool of the state. What better way to rule than to be at the head of the state’s religion.

7. Anarchy Pony | Apr 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm |

That’s why I bothered to type out the same thing and say FIRST!!11!1!!!!!one!! Oh wait no I didn’t.

8. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm |

Sorry, but the real grail was brandished with a promotional Flintstones the Movie logo and came with a lid and twisty straw.

9. DrDavidKelly | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:54 pm |

Case closed. Now we can all stop running around looking for a cup.

10. Oh please! And if they find a rotting piece of wood on a mountain, they claim it’s Noah’s ark. And why would a cup used at the last supper be made of solid gold and jewels? Was the ancient Jesus rich? I don’t think so.