A Florida woman has lost her legal battle to convince her insurance company that to cover damages caused by a neighbor’s exploded corpse.
Boom. Big badda boom:
A Florida woman whose home was damaged after a woman’s corpse “exploded” in the apartment above hers has been ordered by an appeal court to foot the bill for its cleanup.
Judy Rodrigo’s nearly six-year battle for full insurance coverage ended Wednesday after a Palm Beach County court ruled that the type of bodily explosion that grotesquely soaked in her walls wasn’t the kind her policy covered.
A disgusted Jupiter neighbor described it as nearly two weeks before the elderly woman’s remains were found in 2008. By then, her body had burst and its bodily fluids leaked into Rodrigo’s home.
By the time maintenance workers checked on the upstairs neighbor — a woman described as living alone and dying of old age — what was left of her was reportedly being chewed on by her dog.
“I don’t know how the dog stayed alive. It must have been at her for some time,” shocked neighbor Nicholas Colangelo told Court House News in 2009.
Unfortunately for Rodrigo, whose apartment was consequently gutted because of the lingering stench, the foul odor remained and her plea for personal property damage coverage from State Farm was rejected.
According to court documents, a contractor with State Farm did inspect her unit and they consequently signed an appraisal award, but Rodrigo rejected the payment while wanting full coverage for the sickening damage.
State Farm in turn argued that her policy covered personal property damage only for specifically listed perils, and a decomposing body was not one of them