Harvard University to Hold Satanic Black Mass on Monday

Ninth-Gate-Satan-RitualHarvard University, one of the most well-respected Ivy League schools in the world, has responded to rumors that they would be hosting a Black Mass performed by the Satanic Temple on Monday. As it turns out, they weren’t rumors at all.

The idea that Ivy League students have sinister pacts with the devil is usually the stuff of b-movies, but on Monday, the Harvard Extension Cultural Studies Club will play host to a Black Mass, a ritual meant to invoke Satan while desecrating the Catholic sacrament, usually through stabbing, crushing, or sexually defiling a communion wafer.

As you can imagine, religious groups are completely freaking out about it, even prompting the Archdiocese of Boston to issue a statement asking Harvard to shut down the event. Still, Harvard says that while they might not personally agree with the views expressed by student clubs, they “support the rights of our students and faculty to speak and assemble freely”.

Harvard’s Black Mass is being performed by The Satanic Temple, a group that has gained quite a bit of notoriety over the last few years by publiclyendorsing Florida governor Rick Scottperforming a sexual “pink mass” over the grave of dead Westboro Baptist Church members in order to posthumously “turn them gay”, and even creating an official Satanic Monument for the lawn of the Oklahoma capitol building.

“To us, the Black Mass is an amalgamation that developed through time based on witch-hunting fears and later adopted by some as a declaration of personal Independence against what they felt to be the stifling authority of the church,” Satanic Temple head Lucien Greaves told CNS news.

The official announcement posted to the group's Facebook page

The official announcement posted to the group’s Facebook page

Since images of the announcement flyer started making the rounds on Facebook, the Cultural Studies group has been inundated with complaints from concerned Christian groups fighting tooth and nail to get the event cancelled. One such complaint called the Black Mass “a deliberate attack on the most fundamental beliefs of Roman Catholicism“. The group, which had hosted Satanists with no problems in the past, responded:

Our purpose is not to denigrate any religion or faith, which would be repugnant to our educational purposes, but instead to learn and experience the history of different cultural practices. This performance is part of a larger effort to explore religious facets that continue to influence contemporary culture.

Of course, no amount of reason will quell the hundreds of people taking to internet comment sections to voice their fears that the black mass will summon literal demons from hell to wreak havoc upon Boston. Sounds awesome.

If you want to attend the Black Mass (or just want to know from which direction to run screaming), head to the Queens Head Pub in Harvard’s Memorial Hall on Monday, May 12th at 8:30PM. They say admission is free, but it might just cost you your soul.

Greg Newkirk

Filmmaker, curator of the fantastic & bizarre, professional monster chaser. Head writer at Roadtrippers, senior editor at WhoForted, nothing but trouble.

80 Comments on "Harvard University to Hold Satanic Black Mass on Monday"

1. Gjallarbru | May 9, 2014 at 8:42 am |

If I were but geographically close, I would go, just for the “hell” of it. (Sorry, I just had to do it)

• I was wanting to go so I could sexually defile a communion wafer…not really sure what it entails, but it sounds interesting. And to think I was at home sexually assaulting Ritz crackers or baked lays potatoe chips and I was missing out on all the real fun.

• Gjallarbru | May 9, 2014 at 10:41 am |

You gave me a mental image that just made my day. Thanks for the laughs.

• Greg Newkirk | May 9, 2014 at 10:47 am |

It should be interesting to see how they actually “defile” the wafer. If they do choose to sexually defile it, it’s generally in form of smearing it with menstrual blood or semen. You think Catholics are freaking now… just wait.

• Since I dont think they want me posting the link…

Just google “the cracker game” and look up the urban dictionary definition.

Take that communion wafer! Lol.

• Sage Basil | May 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm |

It’s funny, because when they think they’re defiling the body of Christ, coming together in the name of Satan name to mock Christ, they are acknowledging Him.

• Adamas Macalz | May 10, 2014 at 12:35 am |

um, no… from my understanding it acts as a release valve for all the repressed psychosexual energy that our society causes us to push beneath the surface. the fact that it is christian only acknowledges the fact that our society is primarily christian. it’s powerful when used in a practical context don’t get me wrong. but so is anything where too much pent up emotional/sexual/ psychological energy is released at a given time. hell that’s how poltergeist are formed.

• JessicaSideways | May 10, 2014 at 12:58 am |

Just like when I mock Harry Potter, I’m acknowledging Him. 😉

• Steven Bannister | May 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm |

I want to hold a Black Mass in which we piss on the Tora, smear feces over the Star of David and call for the Jews of Auschwitz to burn in hell…

• Jonas Planck | May 9, 2014 at 12:25 pm |

lol, the ol’ “ookie cookie” circle jerk, eh? Oh, you silly frat boys! That’s totally not gay of you at all!
        “NO HOMO, BRO! NO HOMO!”

• Tehehe. I was thinking the same thing. Yes none of you guys have latent homosexual tendancies at all.

• kowalityjesus | May 9, 2014 at 9:12 pm |

o thou pernicious curiosity, such unfortunate fate thou hast visited upon so many.

• Gjallarbru | May 9, 2014 at 10:11 pm |

My friend, you have mistaken my morbid amusement with a stupid wordplay as curiousity. I’m not curious about satanists. I do find some of their propositions to be food for thought, but I could never trust anyone that espouse their philosophy as a whole. Even if I went, I would be simply amused at finding myself there, nothing more.

• kowalityjesus | May 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm |

Simply a word to the wise, my friend. 😉 However, you won’t see me there. What unintended consequences, whose influences can be neither controlled nor quantified, will be visited upon those who innocently think their perspective safely academic, objective? I shudder.

• Probably nothing.

• um, only the ones they make up in their heads

• Tuna Ghost | May 10, 2014 at 1:55 am |

I’m gonna go ahead and say “none at all”

• Gjallarbru | May 10, 2014 at 6:54 am |

I will go along with the rest, and say “no influence”. I have read the entire satanic bible by LeVay, and although one of my friends was really scared, there was no influence at all. I am still a gentle giant whenever I can be. So why would this be any different?

The same goes for gnostic initiations. If you go into an initiation thinking of football, no a damn thing is going to happen. You have to be already in the mindset for any influence to happen. I’m certainly as far removed from a “satanic” mindset I can be, and I already know I reject what tlhe church of satan proposes. So they have no power over me, not now nor at any point in the future.

In fact, supposing their ceremony has any power, the addition of more people like me would probably be the sand in their gears. I convinced they have more to fear from me, than I from them. I gentle as I tend to be, I tend to defend myself… vigorously.

• Given Satan is about as real as Jesus or indeed the Bearded Sky Daddy, i.e. not at all, since they’re all just “Chinese whispers” evolutions of earlier pagan stories, I suspect the soul-threatening fallout from this to be slightly less than three-tenths of sweet FA.

2. No corporate sponsors, though? Missed opportunity there.

3. Preach for freedom to practice whatever religion and spiritual beliefs you feel like…

but what I really mean is only if I agree with your views or you practice my same religion….

‘Merica.

4. Liam_McGonagle | May 9, 2014 at 11:44 am |

Well, they chose the right day of the week for it.

5. Dark Ambient Hex | May 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm |

Good for Harvard. I see nothing wrong with this at all. Freedom of religion, EVERYONE has a right to it, even if their belief system is different than your own.

• LightStrider | May 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

The problem though is that real Satan worshipers force their beliefs on unwilling others using violence.

• JessicaSideways | May 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm |

No, that’s Christians. Check your history.

• kowalityjesus | May 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm |

well, Islam more.

• JessicaSideways | May 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm |

Even if that were true (and frankly, I don’t know)… you know who both Islam and Christianity outkill? Satanists. I cannot think of a single war fought in Satan’s name. I cannot think of a campaign to torture and kill people in an effort to spread Satanism by swordpoint. I cannot think of a Satanic holocaust or a Satanic terrorist attack. Not one.

Yes, Christianity and Islam kill and their defenders forget their own history. Your point?

• Rhoid Rager | May 10, 2014 at 4:04 am |

Science (objectivism) has them all beat…what with law (objectivist scripture) and the clergy that infest the scientific-military-industrial-pharmaceutical-agricultural complex.

• JessicaSideways | May 10, 2014 at 5:05 am |

Actually, no, that is not even remotely true. There is no such thing as “scripture” in science, there is simply evidence and facts and research. Secondly, there is no mandate within the annals of science to kill – science is simply the pursuit for truth… unlike religion, which definitely commands genocide, infanticide, filicide, xenophobia…

• Damian Caligula | May 11, 2014 at 6:42 pm |

Satanists are Christians. Or believers in Christian dieties. Another branch of the faith, if they believe in Gods at all. Except for the ones who are just practitioners in a cult of selfishness and believe in no Gods.

• Echar Lailoken | May 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm |

Are you sure? I tend to view them as self worshiping humanists. The blasphemy used as a logical and emotional reconciliation of opposites to create a shift in perception. A breaking of bonds, if you will.

• Damian Caligula | May 12, 2014 at 11:14 am |

Well I think there are two kinds of satanists, the LaVey types, the ones you speak of, the self worshiping humanists. The others type being kids who sacrifice dogs and worship the dark diety of the bible. Those are the ones I consider twisted Christians, those who actually believe they are worshiping the devil.

• Echar Lailoken | May 12, 2014 at 5:03 pm |

I see, thanks for the clarification.

• Adamas Macalz | May 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm |

and then there is the ONA, which defies all definitions, expectations, and understandings. the only way to describe the labyrinthian mythos is a total mindfuck for anyone interested or pursuing that path.

• i have never met a satanist who gave a shit what i thought, let alone try to force me by violence to think what they did. i have, however, had many christians harass and verbally attack me, and insist that if i didn’t think what they did, i should be excluded from society until i submitted to their demands.

6. Jonas Planck | May 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm |

As I’ve always said… the aristocracy has always believed they commanded the powers of darkness, and they do enjoy donning the vestments of the black rites and chanting paens to eldritch forces of unfathomable evil… But I never said it actually WORKED! They might think it does, but the reality of the situation is that it’s nothing but a bunch of spoiled rich kids wearing black snuggies trying to scare each other at a slumber party like little girls.

7. BuzzCoastin | May 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm |

Speaking of Satan, I was watching Rush Limbaugh the other day. Doesn’t Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?
    Bill Hicks

• JessicaSideways | May 9, 2014 at 8:33 pm |

That *would* explain so much.

• Even that kind of sexual deviation would be quite normal compared to what damage these guys are doing to the entire society by their sociopath neoliberalism.

8. Learn about Christ churches and methodologies from a recovered ex-Christian:
    http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/ http://www.scathingatheist.com/

• kowalityjesus | May 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm |

I think it would be more compelling if you linked to individuals who found other religion, not the lack thereof.

• Iamanotheryourself | May 10, 2014 at 4:02 am |

Atheism is a wonderful veiled excuse for supporting moral relativism, which puts you right in the Satanist’s camp. Mark Passio’s work is far evolved beyond this low level and primitive ideology.

9. Craig Bickford | May 9, 2014 at 5:38 pm |

This is a Discordian plot right? Possibly part of operation mind fuck?

10. LightStrider | May 9, 2014 at 6:57 pm |

Any connection with the “Illuminati”? Anyone with an ounce of intuition would suspect so.

• JessicaSideways | May 9, 2014 at 8:35 pm |

Only in the minds of the crazy nutbags who listen to Alex Jones and are preparing for the New World Order to take over and elect the anti-Christ as the leader of the world.

• gustave courbet | May 10, 2014 at 12:27 am |

What is this “Illuminati?”

• JessicaSideways | May 10, 2014 at 1:00 am |

One of the craziest conspiracies ever invented by the tin foil hat brigade.

• gustave courbet | May 11, 2014 at 12:06 am |

I’m actually familiar with it (founded by Adam Weishaupt on May day in 1776 as an anti-monarchist secret society). I was hoping for an answer from Mr. Strider, to get an insight into his world view.

• Private_Eyescream | Jun 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm |

Adam Weishaupt = Jewish
            Anton Levey = Jewish

Look to the secret societies and realize that these are institutions created by the Jews to enact the mass-murder of the non-Jews. Every secret spciety that you can name was created or are currently controlled by the Jews.

Russia in 1917, Jews mass-murdered 20 million Russian Christians, in the Ukraine the Jews mass-murdered 35 million Christians, over the next 75 years they continued to brutally murder another 100 million more Russian Christians.

And they were surprised by Germany’s sane reaction in the 1940’s?

In China, the Jew-puppet Mao enacted the mass-murder of 30 million Chinese non-Jews. In Africa, the Jewish-created ANC mass-murdered 30 million black non-Jews. THIS IS WHAT THEY DO. THIS IS THEIR GENETICALLY-PSYCHOPATHIC INSTINCTUAL DRIVE. THEY HAVE DONE THIS UNCEASINGLY FOR OVER 2000 YEARS. THEY WILL NOT STOP. There were very rational reasons the Jews were repeatedly exiled by almost every nation in the world. Unceasing Mass-Murder Criminal Actions by Jews create very harsh rational reactions by non-Jews not wanting their people to become the victims of the Jews.

• Shut the fuck up, you stupid racist.

• gustave courbet | Jun 22, 2014 at 11:37 pm |

While I occasionally enjoy sparring with your Nazi-loving, holocaust-denying ilk, I have neither the time nor the inclination to disabuse you of your deeply flawed grasp of history, the human family, and reality in general. It would require a book-length exchange to parse some of the more fundamental errors you are projecting onto reality before we could begin to address your obsession with some hallucinatory ‘Jewish Conspiracy,’ but just in case you’re interested in extricating yourself from the deep hole that your delusion represents I’ll recommend you read ‘Guns, Germs, and Steel,’ by Jared Diamond. Despite his Jewish heritage, he manages to deliver a graceful and succinct account on some of the fundamental facets of human historical progression. If that’s not up your alley, you can always go back to oiling your AR-15 and commiserating with your stunted brethren on Stormfront or some other retrograde corner of the interweb.

• Private_Eyescream | Jun 26, 2014 at 4:37 am |

So if Chairman Mao wrote a book declaring that all the mass-murder of non-Jewish Chinese “never happened” and that golly, the wicked non-Jews had all their history wildly wrong (say “Hi” to Pol Pot and his mountain of human non-Jew skulls which almost reaches 1/10th the height of Chairman Mao’s pile of human skulls) then we are just supposed to back down despite the literal mountains of evidence of their crimes?

Chairman Mao Zedong’s Jewish Handler Israel Epstein smiles and waves while laughing at all the dead non-Jews.

Curiously, Mao Zedong’s political leadership was packed full of Jews. Mao Zedong also wrote a book denying that the mass-murders occurred. In Russia, the reporter concealing Jewish crimes against the non-Jew Christian Ukrainians was named Walter Duranty.

• gustave courbet | Jun 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm |

While I occasionally enjoy arguing with Nazi-loving, Holocaust-denying, retrograde individuals like yourself, I have neither the time nor the inclination to disabuse you of your spectacularly bizarre and fanciful world-view. It would require a book-length exchange to parse the fundamental errors in logic and misapprehensions of reality before we could even address your historically fictive “Jewish-Conspiracy” nonsense. I suggest a rigorous program of psychic reorganization (perhaps some yoga), followed by a crash course in logic, philosophy, science, and then (and only then) history. Either that or you can go back building bombs or molesting children or whatever hobbies you enjoy.

• ahahahahahaha ha

11. This is gonna backfire on the people who aren’t respecting the separation of church and state big time. Satanism is the closest religion to business there is. How many times have you heard after something fucked up has gone down where someone says “hey.. that’s business.”
    Hey.. i’m fore-closing on your house.. tough shit.. that’s business. Capitalism is the closest thing to satanism. Once the lawyers, businessmen, and politicians find that out.. there’s gonna be a lot of recruits. “You mean with Satan, I get to do whatever I want to someone regardless of how shitty it is?? Sign me up!! It’s like joining the republican party twice!”

• JessicaSideways | May 9, 2014 at 8:33 pm |

I dunno, megachurches are running a pretty damned good racket and they are all Christians.

• misinformation | May 10, 2014 at 1:29 am |

Do you believe that the “Democratic” Party is in opposition to what you’ve loosely defined as “Satanism”?

• Adamas Macalz | May 13, 2014 at 1:11 pm |

they would never do that. most of the time their choice of religion is a power play to rally support from there subjects. take for example Obamas immediate conversion upon running for president.

12. TeaPartyPat949 | May 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm |

Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its
    evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been
    honest and dutiful to society the religion which has regulated it cannot
    be a bad one.-TJ

• Echar Lailoken | May 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm |

The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.

Robert Anton Wilson

13. ‘Harvard says […] they “support the rights of our students and
    faculty to speak and assemble freely”.’

What kind of preparation is this for life in the USA today?

• Echar Lailoken | May 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm |

I do not know for certain, but two popular books amongst people getting into business is The Art of War by Sun Tzu and the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey.

• are you worried they will get the wrong idea and actually believe that this is a democracy and not a plutocracy? that they will be fooled into believing the myths that they’ve been fed about how society in the us works? don’t worry, most students from the school are in the power elite, and won’t have those pesky working class problems with actualizing their power

14. They should show some REAL guts and do something similar with The Koran.

• That wouldn’t do anything toward what I’d assume is the actual unstated aim of this, which is to make easily outraged Christian nuffie morons throw up their arms in horror.

If these guys did something similar with the Qur’an, most of the currently “outraged” people would not only give the ceremony their blessing/approval, but would likely want to join in.

Let the culture-jammers from an Islamic background take care of their own, eh?

15. JohnFrancisBittrich | May 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm |

Was gonna go check it out, but registration has far exceeded the space available and the event’s full up. Clearly a lot of people interested in the left hand here in good ol Middlesex County.

16. hellosunshine | May 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm |

Well, I’m maybe not the voice of “reason” but actually the voice of a practical person who deals with people off and on wanting out of this crap. They all lose their minds, many have done unspeakable things, their kids (if they have them) get weird diseases and go crazy. And here are just a few critters that showed up on my garage door just to show you this stuff is real. That’s just the beginning…you’ll wish you never did it. You’ll pay a price for generations, you’ll have too much regret, and no “reasoning” will take away the pain and sorrow.

17. this whole “real christian” thing is just as tiresome when it comes from mainline sources as it is when it comes from a talebangelist. the church community i grew up in and am still a member of looks nothing like the church tony perkins insists is the only true way to be a christian – but they are both manifestations of the christian religion. if you notice, i at no point used the words “all” , nor did i refer to “christianity”. there have, in deed, been many christians who have been abusive and hostile towards me.

18. Adamas Macalz | May 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm |

you really don’t know the history behind christianity’s rise to power do you?