PIC: DOD (PD)

PIC: DOD (PD)

Love is helping to extricate a tiny needle from your partner’s pus-filled toe-pimple…

A tattoo loving Swede who forgot about a needle which had been travelling around his body since 1974 has finally seen it again, after it burst out through his big toe.

Ulf Bergström, 63, from Måla in northern Sweden said the needle entered his arm forty years ago when he was a keen amateur tattooist.

“So I put the needle in my arm and then hey presto it disappeared,” he told the Norran newspaper.

Bergström sought medical help and even got an x-ray which revealed nothing. The 17mm needle had vanished at least for a few decades.

“After the needle didn’t ‘get in touch’ I completely forgot about it,” said the 63-year-old.

That was until a few days ago when he was reunited with the needle after developing a severe pain in his right big toe. Roping in his wife for help she pricked the blood filled pimple on his toe which “squeezed out a lot of puss and shit,” he said.

via Swede removes needle from body after 40 years – The Local.

Hat Tip: Doubtful News.

28 Comments on "Fantastic Voyage! Lost Needle Bursts From Amateur Tattooist’s Big Toe 40 Years Later"

1. CletusBeauregard | Jun 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm |

holy. fuck.

2. InfvoCuernos | Jun 4, 2014 at 8:09 pm |

I have noticed that some women relish the opportunity to perform minor surgery and I have always wondered why more women do not pursue careers as surgeons.
    I am curious as to how a needle can break off in someone’s arm and they forget about it. I would imagine if a needle breaks that easily, it would be a poor grade of steel, but the fact that it lasted all those years inside a body indicate otherwise. I am skeptical.

• Number1Framer | Jun 4, 2014 at 8:30 pm |

I have noticed the amateur surgeon trend as well. “Get the back pimples” and “Attack of the ingrown hairs” seem to be pretty common games in relationships. I’ll also say they are relaxing and bonding activities in a way I can only imagine is close to monkeys picking each other’s fleas. Or am I just a freak?

• Rhoid Rager | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm |

I’ve been pining after a grooming comeback. It could supplant the handshake, high-five, fist-bump, back-pat, ass-slap, faire la bise, and finger-pull in one fell swoop.

• Number1Framer | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:54 pm |

Would also be a great way to schmooze clients in the corporate world. Forget that douchey, overpriced country club with the somewhat homoerotic “guest cottages.” Just hire some nice ladies who specialize in ‘full release grooming.’

• farbauti | Jun 5, 2014 at 3:33 am |

This happens to a lot of us. Women love grooming. My sister claims it is instinctual. I think it’s just a devious form of torture.

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm |

Lack of exposure to air would probably prevent oxidation.

• Rhoid Rager | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm |

blood is oxidation. 🙂

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 4, 2014 at 10:13 pm |

If it was only in the subcutaneous tissue it would be exposed to very little blood.

• InfvoCuernos | Jun 5, 2014 at 4:15 am |

That would help explain the migration. If the needle fragment were sliding between the skin and the soft tissue below the skin, it might be able to move all over. Surprised it didn’t get hung up at a joint, but maybe that guy thought he was just having some arthritic pain or something, or maybe it didn’t even hurt.

3. Beautiful. Further proof that our body will indeed fix itself. Fuck off medicine. Time heals all wounds.

4. Woa this is crazy. The body is an amazing thing. He is lucky it didnt get stuck in a kidney or in his heart or brain cuz it obviously traveled through either his circulatory system or lymphatic system.

5. Number1Framer | Jun 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm |

If he had gone in an MRI scanner, I’ll bet he would’ve remembered it was there much sooner.

• People that work in metal shops are not recommended to have MRIs done because you at some point at work might have gotten metal fragments in your eye it and not realize it and well lets just say you will probably realize there is metal in your eye when it exposed to magnetic fields in the range of 10,000 to 60,000 times the strength of the earths magnetic field, depending on the MRI machine. Sounds painful to say the least.

• Anarchy Pony | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:39 pm |

WEAR GOGGLES FOR GOD’S SAKE!

• Many dont. I worked next door to a metal shop a while back and was friends with some of the guys there and there were only few tasks they wore goggles for, even though there was metal dust all over the shop that could easily end up in your eye.

• Number1Framer | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:50 pm |

I remember hearing a story similar to this quite a while back (no source, maybe bullshit, though I believe it was some article about patients getting screwed in malpractice suits). It went that a welder who was injured on the job somehow had gotten silver dust in his eyes unbeknownst to the medical staff. When they threw him in the MRI machine to image the injury he was there for, the magnetic field heated the silver and melted his eyes.

• Oh I dont know about heating it up but I known it can move it around in your eye and damage your eye and i assume if strong enough field it could pull it out of the eye

• So how come it doesn’t pull the fillings out of our teeth?
        When I had mine, I had some metal clips holding my hair back that I forgot about and the nurse didn’t notice. When I walked into the room, my hair stood up as the clips pulled up. It was weird/funny. But I’ve always wondered why the fillings don’t pull out.

• Basically its because they are made out of a type of metal that are not affected by magnets. There is a much longer explanation if you want to read about it I would google ferrous vs non-ferrous metals or just google the types of metals and metal alloys affected by magnets

6. Anarchy Pony | Jun 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm |

You can see something similar with “fox tail” grass seeds in dogs. They’ll burrow in between toes and can work their way all the way up the leg.

• JamieMehmetril | Jun 6, 2014 at 5:05 am |

before I looked at the check of $8543 , I accept
      …that…my neighbour woz like they say truley earning money parttime on their
      apple labtop. . there sisters neighbour has done this 4 only 19 months and by
      now cleared the debts on their house and bourt a gorgeous Ford . visit this
      site C­a­s­h­d­u­t­i­e­s­.­C­O­M­

7. Donna Becker | Jun 4, 2014 at 11:14 pm |

He probably also stepped on a needle awhile back and forgot about that too. It eventually worked it’s way out.

8. Matt Staggs | Jun 11, 2014 at 1:32 pm |

The amalgam materials are really strong, too. I have a few cavities as a legacy of living a few years without dental insurance (Thanks, capitalism!), and the epoxy stuff is still holding strong.