Pope Francis: Pets Can’t Substitute For Kids In A Relationship

Crazy CatCiting birth rate statistics in Italy and the United States, Pope Francis stated on June 2nd that couples who forgo child rearing to own pets are dooming themselves to an old age of loneliness.  [I know I’ve wanted to scream out the window at couples walking dogs “make babies, you losers!”]

Indeed birth rates across the Western world have fallen steadily over the past few hundred years , but especially in recent times, to far below replacement levels.  In the USA they have been falling more and more slowly since the “end” of the financial crisis, but remain relatively abysmal.

More, via The Salt Lake Tribune:

“It might be better — more comfortable — to have a dog, two cats, and the love goes to the two cats and the dog. Is this true or not? Have you seen it?”  Stated the pontificate, ““You can go explore the world, go on vacation, you can have a villa in the countryside, you can be carefree,”

“Then, in the end this marriage comes to old age in solitude, with the bitterness of loneliness ”

Francis  said without qualification that Jesus Christ would not approve of childless marriages.  “There are things that Jesus doesn’t like — [couples] who don’t want children, who want to be without fruitfulness.”

“Married life must be persevering, because otherwise love cannot go forward,” Francis said.

“Perseverance in love, in good times and in difficult times, when there are problems: problems with the children, economic problems.”

Editor’s Note: This piece was submitted by one of our contributors, and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Disinformation Company or its employees.

Kowality Jesus

Kowality Jesus

One of the coolest people within a radius of 100 yards.A recent Catholic convert, but longtime witness and believer.
Kowality Jesus

110 Comments on "Pope Francis: Pets Can’t Substitute For Kids In A Relationship"

1. emperorreagan | Jun 11, 2014 at 9:11 am |

Yeah, Jesus would rather dudes ditch their wives and children and tramp around the country with him!

• Liam_McGonagle | Jun 11, 2014 at 11:01 am |

You know, I think there is a Bible quote to more-or-less that very effect:

“He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. “And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.…”

But as the Pope is God’s only authorized dealer on earth, I’m sure he knows best.

2. mannyfurious | Jun 11, 2014 at 11:19 am |

I will never forgive myself for helping to bring a child into this world, not because I regret the decision, but because it was a purely selfish act. My children are what make ME the happiest in my life. However, I recognize that I have brought two new individuals who will be forced to suffer through life through no fault of their own, and only so I could be happy for myself.

Still, when I see people at Target who put their dogs in the carts or others who treat their pets better than they treat other people, or who make their pets the center their universe, it makes me want to pee in some cheerios. There’s definitely a part of me that thinks, “Hey, get a life” (i.e. get some kids). And I say that as someone who respects animals and owns a cat.

• Liam_McGonagle | Jun 11, 2014 at 11:50 am |

Well, there’s no such thing as a 100% equivalent substitute. On one hand, overpopulation is a serious problem. On the other, it is unnerving to see people mistake pets for human beings. If that is what’s really going on.

• mannyfurious | Jun 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm |

No doubt. I don’t think people “mistake” pets for humans, per se. I just think evolution has endowed us with a particular “caregiver” instinct to love, nurture and ensure the survival of a child, and when we don’t have children that instinct manifests itself in other ways.

Jesus fucking Christ. That sounds a little too Freudian to me, but I’ll go with it, regardless.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 11, 2014 at 1:15 pm |

We’re here to love and be loved, and we’re lucky enough to be able to share that love with living things beyond our own kind. I have no children of my own, but I really like kids and enjoy being “daddy’s cool friend” when I visit my buddies who are fathers. I also have the greatest respect for parents, generally. What I don’t have respect for is some Professional Virgin in a wizard costume lecturing me about my choices and presuming to know why I made them. I shall address this in an essay soon.

• mannyfurious | Jun 11, 2014 at 1:25 pm |

Yeah, I agree. And hopefully I, myself, didn’t come across as judging people without kids. I was judging people who treat their pets better than they treat humans.Which still might make me a dick, but whatever.

If anything, I was actually trying to imply that I actually think having kids is a selfish act, not just because of what I wrote, but because of overpopulation and the like.

Basically I’m just not a dog person, is all I’m saying….I think.

• “Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim.” — Arthur Schopenhauer

• You should stop reading this depressing man. I tried wading through some of his stuff and wanted to kill myself after reading him. He was incapable of experiencing the joy of life because he was too busy focusing on his own ego experience of life and projecting that out onto the world. His views on women were ridiculous and he believed in eugenics and heredity as well as other cruel judgements on others while expressing compassion as a high ideal. He built upon other great thinkers and some of his stuff reflects that. Life is suffering but it’s also great joy, something he didn’t seem to experience much.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm |

Schopenhauer can keep his suffering to himself. I’ll be over here with the ice cream.

• Yes, ice cream! One of the joys and antidepressants of life.

• I, for one, look forward to that essay.

To have children or not is a very personal choice and not everyone should have children. Often, it seems the wrong people have children simply because “it happened,” as though the parents had no idea how pregnancy happens. The courts are filled with abused and neglected kids born to parents who couldn’t or wouldn’t invest in them emotionally, psychologically, as well as financially. It is an >20 year investment with adolescence lasting well into the 20s now.

• These days adolescence lasts into the 70s.

• Adulthood is a… an… (???) euclidean myth.

Now everybody wanna sell dope (sell dope). Got a P, got a pound, got some hope (nope). Jesse Jackson had a lil’ bit of hope, for the folks On the rope, back in 1984 (84′).
            Biatch!

Fo Yo Sorrows

• Like it or not, Freud was right about some things.

• Having a pet is about the closest most humans will ever get to experiencing “unconditional love”.

• mannyfurious | Jun 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm |

I guess. It’s a possibility, I suppose. I love my cat, but I’ll take the “conditional” love of my wife and kids every time. Or even my friends.

I guess you don’t get the negative aspects of “love” with pets. I mean, your dog probably isn’t going to give you silent treatment when you stay out too late after a softball game. But you also don’t get the really good parts, either.

• PrimateZero | Jun 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm |

As someone who has two kids and two dogs (Keeshonden), I wholeheartedly agree with your post. I too recognize that I brought two individuals into this wheel of suffering. I just only hope that I’m raising them well and providing them with the tools to live a good and happy life with has little pain as possible .
      The dogs I do spoiled a little….I can’t help it.

3. PrimateZero | Jun 11, 2014 at 12:31 pm |

This salesman for the Catholic church who calls himself the “Pope” (like he’s the only one) is utterly clueless. Due to my job I meet a lot of elderly people “who experience the bitterness of loneliness” because their “wonderful” families never come to see them. This “pope’s” claims are as groundless as he is.
    I would rather people spoil their pets than have to deal with their spoiled children. Spoiled pets don’t live long, unfortunately spoiled kids grow up to be asshole adults…and some of them like way too long.

• I’d rather people join Big Brothers Big Sisters and spoil a child who needs it.

• TerriBackettnyt | Jun 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm |

Josiah . although Jacqueline `s
        stori is surprising, last week I bought themselves a Chrysler from having made
        $5060 thiss month and-in excess of, 10/k last-month . it’s realy the
        easiest-work I have ever done . I started this 4 months ago and pretty much
        straight away was bringin in at least $78 per-hour . why not look here C­a­s­h­d­u­t­i­e­s­.­C­O­M­

• CherriMattinsontyy | Jun 19, 2014 at 4:21 am |

before I looked at the check of $8543 , I accept
        …that…my neighbour woz like they say truley earning money parttime on their
        apple labtop. . there sisters neighbour has done this 4 only 19 months and by
        now cleared the debts on their house and bourt a gorgeous Ford . visit this
        site C­a­s­h­d­u­t­i­e­s­.­C­O­M­

4. Damian Caligula | Jun 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm |

This type of thinking is why the Earth is overpopulated. Not everyone needs to breed. I hope birth rates keep dropping in the west, preferably world-wide, so other creatures besides us can survive.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 11:58 am |

We will continue to import poverty, and the world will eventually look like the 3rd world. http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2006/10/importing-poverty-immigration-and-poverty-in-the-united-states-a-book-of-charts

• Damian Caligula | Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm |

Link to the heritage foundation, a page full of anti-latino conservative hot air. So I guess what they are saying is if we import a bunch of rich snobs things will be better in this country. It’s really easy to blame the poor for our financial problems while avoiding the real causes. As for education, no one in my family who immigrated here 100 years ago was well educated. They were peasant farmers. The idea that we used to only allow educated wealthy people in, and now only poor uneducated people is completely untrue. And the same holds true for most of the people I know. I also live in a place where the Latino population is about 80%, I have no problems with it, they treat me with respect and dignity, I love it here and would never want to leave, or live in a place devoid of Central American immigrants. I’d rather we import “poverty” than wealth, I remember reading the words of Jesus who had a lot to say about the wickedness of rich people.

5. InfvoCuernos | Jun 11, 2014 at 5:36 pm |

Its no secret that the catholic church has been waging a war against crazy cat ladies for centuries.

6. Poor People: Catholic Religion Can’t Substitute Food & Shelter With Owning Vatican, Making Dick-ish Proclamations

7. Number1Framer | Jun 11, 2014 at 8:00 pm |

I’ll never understand this religious fear-mongering or whatever you want to call it regarding falling birth statistics. We’re not going to run out of people any time soon, the human race is not an endangered species (for this reason anyway), and the gays are not trying to pull strong young boys out of the breeding pool on Satan’s behalf. Though we may end up in an Idiocracy type scenario where, as comedian Bill Burr puts it, ‘the dumb ones outfuck the smart ones.’ Luckily my children won’t have to live through this dystopia since I’m not having any because I simply do not want to. Also, just to piss the Poope off. How is having a child because you don’t want to die alone any less selfish than not having one because you want to squander your life doing things you’d actually rather be doing?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 11:56 am |

I think your reasoning is fallacious and cynical. I think it’s an act of love, and any decent parent can prepare their child for the rigamarole that is modern life. As Andrew quoted, “Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim.” — Arthur Schopenhauer

• Number1Framer | Jun 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm |

If you see it as an act of love, then by all means, I’m not telling anyone else to do or not do anything. You are obviously set in your views and make no bones about using them as a magnifying glass to scorch us ants who refuse to see things through your perception filter. My reasons for not wanting children are more personal than ‘the world is too fucked up’ (it always has been), but don’t presume because you see something as an act of love that everyone else is emotionally stunted for not falling into line with your thought process. If I walked my dog past your home and you shouted out that I was a looser for not having children, I’d probably throw dogshit in your window. Perhaps someone who makes such sweeping judgments should be the one examining their emotional maturity? Or do you presume yourself to be so free from sin that you are in a position to cast such stones?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm |

I like to think of my advocation in the context of the very abrasive atmosphere that ‘raising children’ experiences online. There is an irrational and undeserved negativity towards it, imo. You would probably not be one of the people I have been prompted to lash out at. There is a very hubristic brand of yuppy that deserves to be cosmically shit on by having to change diapers, and I see them too often around here with their dogs and their future regrets. Notice, while I have the impulse I have never actually acted on it.
          I’m just reporting the facts, ma’am. That’s what the Pope says, and I happen to think it’s poignant for a lot of people. Please don’t take it personally! : )

• “I think your reasoning is fallacious and cynical.”

That seemed pretty personal to me.

• Number1Framer | Jun 12, 2014 at 3:51 pm |

I’m not taking anything personally. I’m not diminishing anyone’s power of personal decision. I harbor no animosity toward anyone who chooses (or ‘accidents’) to have children, but I always keep some on reserve for people who know what’s right for everyone else. I quote: “people who deserve to be cosmically shit on… & …their future regrets.” Once again, you know who’s going to have regrets about their choices and who deserves the vengeance of the universe? Have you spoken with your god regarding his aparent dereliction of duty or your omniscient assumptions? If I recall, one of god’s underlings tried that once, and it didn’t end well. Live and let live, that’s all I’m saying. If you know, lead by example.

I Corinthians 10:12 So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:20 pm |

As I have already quoted elsewhere on this comments section, I have a long way to go in order to not ‘cosmically’ be a loser, in fact I quite feel like today will weigh heavily on me in front of St Peter.

Do you think everyone in this day and age is living their lives with such profound higher-aspiration that no one needs be rebuked for desecrating/wasting their incredible human capacity? Many pets in the Western world today are a vanity and a cop-out from responding to that call that comes with being born. I am happy to hear those in high places concur, we need more babies and less mammalian-care-mechanism cop-outs in the West.

• Number1Framer | Jun 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm |

I agree that people waste their lives and I’d say work, television, and arguing with people in online forums rank pretty high in terms of what I’d consider a waste of time/life (I’m missing a sunset to type this). From what little I can glean, you seem to squander your life on judging others for the decisions they make (not to mention ‘yuppie’ appearances) without taking any time to examine how or why they came to do what they do. We don’t even know each other’s real names and you somehow know that I’m copping out from some greater calling because I don’t want children? Maybe I have a genetic condition that makes conception difficult? Maybe I already had children that I tragically lost? Maybe I see adoption as the more altruistic option than obeying the pangs of biology? Maybe I lost my balls in a car accident? Maybe I feel I’ve found a different divine, higher calling in life? I fail to understand how creating another human somehow makes one’s life a ‘success.’ I know plenty of people with children who just continued right on down their paths of selfishness and left their children by the side of the road. Do you have children, or are you ignoring what you obviously see as YOUR true, high calling? This wouldn’t all be projection on your part by any chance, would it?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 10:55 pm |

As above, so below, God speaks to us through practicality. Did I say “if I saw YOU on the street I would call you a loser for walking your dog?” NO! In fact I would probably be like, who’s that cool dude? It’s people that pop pills or do surgeries to prevent babies while making quite sufficient income to support children. There are enough of them that it is a TREND. that’s who Francis is breathing on! They get animals to fill the mammalian-care-mechanism that aches in their hearts from fooling their bodies into thinking they would be procreating while separating sex from reproduction. You must know that I am a sensitive person, and FUCK YOU, I mean please don’t be too hard on me, please actually motherfucking read what I said and don’t pretend like you are crusading against me when you think I am motherfucking talking about you, you OAF. no wonder you don’t have kids.

• Number1Framer | Jun 13, 2014 at 12:37 am |

I know you weren’t talking about me in particular, you were talking about a large swath of people who are responsible for their own lifestyle choices. IMO, that’s what crusading is, and I’m defending the homeland.

• Number1Framer | Jun 13, 2014 at 12:54 am |

I’m done here. This is obviously a pointless discussion at this point and I think I’ve made my views abundantly clear. I wish you luck with your future endeavors.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 13, 2014 at 1:32 am |

You keep on irrationally attacking people you deem enemies, and I will attempt to strike at the root of evil while swatting at your likes buzzing around my head.

• Number1Framer | Jun 12, 2014 at 9:50 pm |

Just to be clear, I’m not angry here and I’m not trying to make things personal. But you made it personal when you marginalized me into a group of “losers” because of a personal choice I came to of my own accord.

• > rebuked for desecrating/wasting their incredible human capacity

> a cop-out from responding to that call that comes with being born

Do you believe it’s evil to intentionally not have children?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 18, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

Sorry Andrew, I have had problems with spyware preventing disqus from loading lately. Issue resolved.

well, not necessarily. I don’t really know what God thinks. I think it’s probably a sin to even guess that I DO know what God thinks outside of what he wrote. Alls I knows is that I take very seriously the prospect of procreating, and pray that one day I will get the chance. I think people don’t have a very good perspective on the matter, and the shirking is ruining the future of Western culture, for one thing… I’m a fuck-up, and I know it, but we’re all fuck-ups in one way or another. I reserve the right to give people a hard time about something (e.g. littering, or belittling procreation as detailed above) if I am doing my best not to be hypocritical about it.

• Kragnorak | Jun 20, 2014 at 1:31 pm |

” I am happy to hear those in high places concur, we need more babies and less mammalian-care-mechanism cop-outs in the West.”
            By those in ‘high places’, do you mean this hypocrite that refuses to use his penis? Also, elephants and rhinos are being poached at an alarming rate, and bushmeat (almost cannibalism!) is still popular in Africa. Perhaps one solution for those that are into mammalian care is to convince the crazy cat ladies to go to Africa as rangers?

• I don’t believe having kids will redeem me in God’s eyes, but you didn’t quote him correctly.

• Number1Framer | Jun 13, 2014 at 12:17 am |

I was refencing the judgmental sentiment of a particular sentence I didn’t feel like reiterating in its entirety on my phone keyboard (I was at work), hence the elipses. Could you point out specifically where I was incorrect?

• He didn’t say “people who deserve to be cosmically shit on,” but “There is a very hubristic brand of yuppy that deserves to be cosmically shit on by having to change diapers.” That, I think, is more specific.

• Number1Framer | Jun 14, 2014 at 12:02 am |

My whole point was who’s in a position to decide that? Am I right to deduce that you deserve to have your house get hit by a meteor because I don’t like your attitude? So these guys are yuppies (they’re self superior? they wave money around? they wear khakis and polos? sandals and socks?), and having a child instead of a dog will somehow set them straight from what is viewed as some objective wrong? Who has the gall to say they’re in the wrong or will live with ‘future regrets’ at all and for what reason? We all have groups or people that rub us the wrong way, but it’s a whole other leap of moral acrobatics to assume you know who the cosmic forces or fate or god or whatever you want to call it “should” have it out for.

• Kragnorak | Jun 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm |

“There is an irrational and undeserved negativity towards it, ”
            There are 7,000,000,000+ humans. The numbers of our primate cousins are dwindling as are the numbers of many other mega-fauna. Just on facts alone, anybody that has more than two children can be called an asshole. My favorite people are those that have 1 or zero. My least favorite are those like the Duggars or Octomom or those Mormons that try to breed so many kids that they create Hell on earth while trying to pursue a mythical afterlife.

8. erte4wt4etrg | Jun 11, 2014 at 8:49 pm |

And a good follow up to this article is the Jodo one!

9. LOL! Side Note: Priests complain of lack of children to fuck!! Announce that dogs and cats ‘just don’t do it for them’, beg people to make more kids quickly!

Okay…okay…thats my only pedo slam on the RC for today. I like Pope Francis…despite a few differences. He’s slamming the brakes on the Vatican bank, bitchslapping down the wealthy fatcats in the heirarchy who used to live like kings, and generally living up to some of what he preaches with policy that actually reflects the pretty words. I just can’t bring myself to pick on him as harshly as I did on Der Popenfuhrer…who actually led the internal charge to bury reports of molestation.

10. “There are things that Jesus doesn’t like — [couples] who don’t want children, who want to be without fruitfulness.”

We’re to take lifestyle advice from a man who was whipped, tortured, nailed to a cross and killed?

All existence is suffering, virtually every woman I’ve ever known of, has had at least one child.

11. BuzzCoastin | Jun 12, 2014 at 2:05 am |

The Easter Bunny commented,
    “Frankly, many a gerbil has warmed the cockles
    of many a Roman Catholic priest
    and comforted them in ways children couldn’t,
    not that they don’t like lil kids either,
    butt gerbils don’t talk.”

12. BuzzCoastin | Jun 12, 2014 at 2:09 am |

love the disclaimer
    crazy politics is ok
    butt religion is too controversial

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm |

lol, only when the religion is Christianity. What was that I heard about haters irrationally hating when you’re on to something? Matt may have got some flak when the Chick Tracts piece came out, even though he wrote 90% of it, lol!

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 12, 2014 at 5:03 pm |

kudos on picking something that could freak people out

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:26 pm |

I bet you’ve got lots of human permutations stemming from your Moron progeny. I would count myself lucky, you will laugh last.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 12, 2014 at 8:53 pm |

I’ve been involved with every major religion
            to one degree or another
            and many subdivisions thereof
            enough to know the pitfalls & Achilles heal of all
            without losing the intrinsic value contained in all

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm |

I remember 5 years ago showing a book I bought to my Catholic friend called “The Transcendent Unity of Religion.” At the time, I was a prototype of your exact type of thinking, and was taken aback when she disagreed with me, insisting that Catholicism is the one true way! It’s hard to believe that I am in her position, but I believe Jesus is the son of God and also that He is the third person in the Holy Trinity. I use concepts like “karma” and at least think things like “namasté,” but only as they would conceptually translate into a Catholic framework. I also find other religions as sometimes legitimate ways to strive for God, but fallacious in actually reaching the Father unless through Jesus.

• BuzzCoastin | Jun 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm |

right
            I know Hindus & Muslims & Morons
            that would use the same arguments
            baesed on the same belifes & sincerity
            butt using different names & different scriptures

confing the Divine to a label
            is delusional human hubris

dominus vobiscum

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 11:02 pm |

Verbosity is strangely powerful. I can live with other people that think different things, but I don’t mind insisting on my personally revealed facet of mystery.

• If your facet of mystery is that others’ facets of mystery aren’t as valid, then you’re insisting on something more than a personal facet, and shouldn’t expect more respect than you’re granting.

13. “I know I’ve wanted to scream out the window at couples walking dogs ‘make babies, you losers!'”

Is this a joke? Are you being snarky?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm |

I should share pictures of these people, you might say the same thing. Life is short, act to redeem yourself through procreating an entity as significant as a human being, not a feline/canine.

• I’m not clear on what grounds you feel you have to right to decide who are “losers” and who are “winners” based on people walking a dog down the street. Their children might be at grandma’s or might be dead or off at school.
        How does having children “redeem yourself”?

• If the dogs are dressed in decorative, human-like clothing, the walkers are losers.

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm |

Short hair dogs need something to keep them warm in cold temp. My chihuahua whippet mix (mutt) has a skull and cross bones sweater. It was the least frilly thing I could find to help keep her warm.

People who make broad sweeping comments are jerks. 😛

• don’t have a big dog in a small city
            don’t have a short hair dog where it gets cold
            -Jebus

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 12, 2014 at 10:16 pm |

If Jebus is worth his bread and whine, then he’d appreciate this.

• ¡OMG CUTE!

You realize you have just started Disinfo on the slippery slope to becoming all cute animal pictures now, don’t you?

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 12, 2014 at 10:38 pm |

My work is done here…

• Actually, I meant ¡ZOMG! b4

• Is that a hairy loaf of bread wearing a sweater?

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm |

Pretty much.

• Our neighbors have two Chihuahuas.Tiny, thin, and protective of their family, I tease them that they are “hairy pencils.” I have come to the conclusion that in the heart of every Chihuahua is a lion–tiny titans, these dogs.

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 15, 2014 at 6:07 pm |

Mine took on the whippet mostly. It’s quiet and shy. Yet has some or the quirkiness of the chihuahuas. Acting tough around other dogs, and burrowing under blankets.

• “Acting tough around other dogs”
            Yeah, it’s that “little guy” complex. One of my dogs is really big and he first looks at them like, “Is this a snack?” Then, they get snarky and he gets away from them. No playtime here. They are very devoted family dogs and good with their little kids.

• Matt Staggs | Jun 17, 2014 at 3:18 pm |

They’re protective little dogs, as are most terriers and terrier-like breeds. My mixed-breed Jack Russell-whatever-the-heck-else developed a strong sense of territory at about age 4 months. He’s also developed what we all his “Big Dog” bark that sounds like there’s a 200 pound mastiff on the other side of the door.

• I didn’t mean functional clothing with decoration, I meant purely decorative clothing.

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 12, 2014 at 11:27 pm |

I know mang, just teasing. You may have noticed I made a broad sweeping generalization myself.

• I think I pulled something.

• Walk it off, champ.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm |

well, every one of your ancestors fathered/mothered a child. Unless you’re someone like Beethoven or Einstein or St Matthew you have probably not redeemed yourself beyond your responsibility to continue your line in your life. I myself have a lot to make up in order to not die a loser, because that’s where I’m headed right now.

• So… we suffer so that others may suffer too?

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:32 pm |

I’m sure our existence could be distilled to such a quip.

• I’m sure our existence could be distilled to such a quip.
            (because somebody has documented℠ Post Festum® syndrome℗)

• kowalityjesus | Jun 13, 2014 at 1:29 am |

that is a ‘wat’ moment

• points detracted for lack of proper multimedia citation

• kowalityjesus | Jun 13, 2014 at 2:17 am |

if it weren’t for people’s impeccable sense of good humor, which can not be decayed by ruse or connivance, I would begin to think the world irredeemably stupid. thank you.

• emperorreagan | Jun 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm |

Incorrect. My father swore an oath to not engage sexual activity, so my mother summoned a deity to father me. I’m Manannan mac Lir’s son.

Soon after giving birth to me, my mother and father boned and my father died. My mother threw himself on the pyre and I was raised by sea nymphs.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm |

I’ve never met anyone that was divinely conceived before! Exception duly noted, lol!

• Matt Staggs | Jun 17, 2014 at 4:07 pm |

Mongán mac Fiachnai, I presume?

• emperorreagan | Jun 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm |

I had to mix in a little of the Mahabarata too (partly because I was re-watching the Grant Morrison super-hero take on it on youtube when responding).

• Echar Lailoken | Jun 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm |

I am a pope… You are redeemed. Now do whatever you want and live without guilt and all that baggage.

• My children are not a reflection of me: they are their own persons with their own destinies. I did not have them to redeem myself–that is my responsibility. Their responsibility is to stand on my shoulders to see farther and reach higher than I ever dreamed of doing. To that end, the two older ones have succeeded. The last one is too young yet but on the trajectory to do the same: understanding the sacredness of his own direction in where he stands. It’s not about me: it’s about them.

• kowalityjesus | Jun 18, 2014 at 6:44 pm |

God Bless you, Ma’am. That is exactly what I am talking about, it’s NOT about you! : )

• Matt Staggs | Jun 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm |

My wife and I don’t have children. We have a dog that we take for walks, and I don’t consider either of us losers. Judge us if you must, but please don’t yell at me or my wife – especially my wife, heaven help you – about how not having children makes us losers if you see us in public.

“I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you’re looking for children, I can tell you I don’t have them… but what I do have are a very particular set of skills…”

J/K

14. Rebecca Brandt | Jun 13, 2014 at 11:37 pm |

Could someone please point me to the Bible passages where Jesus says marriages must result in children? I’d really like to know.

15. here e go again with the baby war between muslims and christians to dominate and overpopulate the earth in dog’s name.

16. Kragnorak | Jun 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm |

“Francis said without qualification that Jesus Christ would not approve of childless marriages.”
    Without qualification! This is an important detail! So…. Every nun is married to Jesus Christ, as they taught me in Catholic school. EVERY nun is in a childless marriage by definition, unless she has sex outside the rules of the Catholic church or she has an immaculate concerption. Ergo, Jesus Christ does not approve of his OWN plural marriage. Also, why did he not (outside of perhaps suppressed teachings) father children with His most beloved disciple, Mary Magdalene? He’s a bigger hypocrite than Pope Francis who also does not use his penis for procreation, even though having one is the #1 job requirement.

• That’s an easy one. God created morality, good and evil are what He says they are, and He has the divine right to be a hypocrite.

17. Kragnorak | Jun 20, 2014 at 4:01 pm |

Is there a way to see if a post was deleted for being too honest? I can’t find mine about all the childless nuns married to Christ.