NASA Will Find Extraterrestrial Life Within the Next 20 Years

On Monday, a panel of NASA scientists gathered to talk about their search for extraterrestrial life. They claim that they will find evidence within the next 20 years–and that’s a conservative estimate.

via The Week:

NASA outlined its plan to search for alien life and said it would launch the Transiting Exoplanet Surveying Satellite in 2017. The agency predicts that as many as 100 million worlds in the Milky Way galaxy may be home to alien life.

“Just imagine the moment when we find potential signatures of life,” Matt Mountain, director of the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, said at the announcement. “Imagine the moment when the world wakes up and the human race realizes that its long loneliness in time and space may be over — the possibility we’re no longer alone in the universe.”

NASA astronomer Kevin Hand seconded Mountain’s opinion, saying that within the next 20 years, “we will find out we are not alone in the universe,” suggesting that extraterrestrial life may exist on Jupiter’s moon Europa. The scientists at the panel said NASA’s efforts are focusing on finding alien life on planets or stars outside the Earth’s solar system.

You can watch the entire panel here:

119 Comments on "NASA Will Find Extraterrestrial Life Within the Next 20 Years"

1. BuzzCoastin | Jul 17, 2014 at 8:30 pm |

there’s a boondoggle for gruberment con-tractors
    bullshirt
    like they’d recognize it if they found it
    they ought to spend it on ttying to find intelligent life on earth
    and figure out why extraterrestrials shun us

2. ” — the possibility we’re no longer alone in the universe.”

There are 7 billion too many of us and rising.

• Let the US and UK militaries have their way and that number will go down.

• You know, put that way, folks like Mr B should probably be pro-military. Whether they’re killing each other or us civilians, it’s all thinning out the herd, I guess.

• Being a vego, not a huge fan of the ol’ long pig, myself.

Guess I’d be prey then: albeit quite well-armed prey. But then I hear predators make excellent compost for growing fruit and veg, so at least nothing would go to waste. I like to be sustainable, after all. 😉

• I didn’t say that there are too many brown people in the world.

• There aren’t 7 billion white people in the world.

• Yes, they’re all brown: China, Russia, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Ukraine, Ireland …

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 18, 2014 at 7:15 pm |

it’s cute and all to name countries, but what are the actual demographics of the world pop’n? often discussions of population (control) or “over” population are thinly veiled eugenicist and racist hold overs from the early modern era. something to think about.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm |

your link only suggests a large pop’n of brown people extant in the world, and doesn’t dispute the fact that ‘over population’ rhetoric often subtly refers to eugenicist and racist themes. the first people affected in any war or disaster are the third worlders, the poor and generally the brown.

• ‘Han Chinese…1,300 million’

Read my second post, observe my extant avatar and stop wasting my time with your nagging irrelevant charge.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm |

yes, us chinese are ‘brown’ in the scheme of things. what did you think all chinese are rich property speculators? 67% live on less than 5 dollars per day (world bank stats). stop wasting your own time by alluding to eugenicist bullshit.

• Are your shift keys broken?

Misanthropy is not eugenic and China is not in coalition crosshairs.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 19, 2014 at 5:54 pm |

lol. nearly 4 years of posting, and you think you’re the first to point this out?

“i am an anarchist, dislike hierarchy and capitalisation works to oppress the lower case.”

note that thread is more than 2 years old.

okay we’ll pretend there is no diaspora, no colonial legacy, no racism, no other countries in the sinosphere, that the relationship between the us, gb and china is just great, there is no struggle for power, economy or control.

i like fiction too, i just don’t make it my worldview (unless it has zombies).

you still haven’t addressed the fact that discussions of over population tend to rely on eugenicist and racist theories. calling it ‘misanthropic’ (which i actually am) is deflection. it isn’t the same as calling for the annihilation of billions of people. POCs are always ‘brown’ is the context of not being ‘white.’ i guess antifa pretenders aren’t the same as anarchists, or social justice advocates….

• My dear pompous, vulgar, ignorant, libellous, NWO apologist,
            The last remark of my previous post was in reference to:

‘Let the US and UK militaries have their way and that number will go down.’

As you clearly have time to waste writing sermons on fellow commentators: I suggest that you click on my pseudonym, then peruse and contemplate my noble, frustrating, post history, before returning with a sincere and concise public apology.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 1:29 am |

lol nwo apologist?
            so that’s what
            a pretend antifa calls
            actual anarchists these days?

as for any apology, you are totally undeserving and unapologetic yourself.

some actual intelligent analysis, without calling me whose history of denouncing all hierarchical, patriarchal, racist and imperialist systems and advocating a stateless society (you can easily search my name on the site) any names- would perhaps earn you a modicum of respect.

until then.

• With my pretend criminal conviction for twice breaking my neighbour’s Neo-Nazi windscreen and spitting in his face.

I see no denouncing of those who advocate a: hegemonic, perpetually warring, multimillionaire, Wall St lackey, in charge of the world’s largest economy with a proclivity for bombing brown kids with skinheads.

Only the persecution of anti-Capitalist peaceniks who earn £50 pw cleaning floors.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm |

i am trying to figure out if you’re just trolling me or are actually serious.

if you were serious, you’d either view my past post on politics, economics and society in the archives, or at least take my anarchist label at face value.

can you cite ANY posts i have made that are not in line with a radical, 4th wave feminist, poc, queer, anti-war, anti capitalist ideology? i challenge you.

it’s so much easier for you to deflect your bullshit on to me. yeah bro, i’m anti fa too. and brown and queer. i’ve smashed more than a nazi porch screen in my time (i.e. face), but not because i was emo, but that’s what survival is sometimes.

and again, your google screencaps are totally off topic. what else can the establishment be, but a bunch of war mongers, crooks, and capitalists?

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm |

Why is this kid hassling you? I’ve been trying to figure that out.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm |

sometimes my snark causes agro, but i don’t think my first or second responses were particularly personal, malicious or unduly sarcastic. who knows sometimes text doesn’t translate. look at you and i, you’re one of my favourite posters- but we’ve had moments of contention.

i was willing to write the exchange off as a misunderstanding (mutual or otherwise), but coming after my anti war cred? that’s a bit of a laugh. but that buford dude often accuses me of pledging allegiance to the un for not denying that climate change (well i like andrew would rather call it ‘pollution’/’deforestation’/ocean acidification) could and may exist.

i need more info, which is why i am asking mr. b to lay it out. what are his politics? referring to one’s avatar isn’t exactly a manifesto.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 20, 2014 at 6:07 pm |

I think he’s an anarchist. IDK? It seems wasteful, on his part, to make an enemy of someone who could be an ally.

• I’m trolling you?

It is my pigtails being pulled here.

I accept your challenge:
            ‘you love to call other ostensibly leftist thinkers corrupt, but i am calling bullshit on you.
            what happened to the concept of ‘solidarity’…’

I.e. stop naming and shaming shills, popular with the alternative media, who’ve an obdurate agenda to: endear us to
            U.S. led armed forces, support Obama (esp. at election time) promote hatred of Washington resistant sovereigns (e.g. Assad, Kim Jong-un, Putin).

These images cannot be defended:

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm |

Is this an “I am more extreme than you” kind of thing? Just curious, because that’s what it looks like.

• I think you’ve replied to the wrong person.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 21, 2014 at 12:15 am |

Sure thing…

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 11:05 pm |

i was referring to cornel west and noam chomsky.
            you can make a good critique against both (i did against chomsky-see the thread), without resorting to your redundant stupidity.
            and yes, superfluous and off-topic. where was obama mentioned?

you’re so off in ad hominem la la land, you aren’t listening. i don’t believe in the state, war, capitalism, or any figure heads. i simply expect you to produce some critical analysis instead of passively implicating through google search images. if you want a picture show- join instagram or tumblr.

no one is defending the images. no one is defending the state, capitalism or militarism. no one is defending errors in judgement, ideological impurity or strategic political decisions.

in fact, you are sounding much closer to an alex jones shill than anything else. stating the same thing over and over and over, if i don’t like you i must love obama, but dude this game is boring, because everyone on this board who has lasted more than 6 months knows that isn’t the truth, and although i could vehemently defend myself moreso and post hundreds of past threads and links, i don’t NEED to. why can’t you answer a single question about YOUR motives, YOUR politics, YOUR method of posting? is it because it serves to obfuscate a greater agenda? tell me i’m curious.

tell me anarchist to…well…whatever you are.

• Hey, some capitals; I’m flattered.

With that unhinged, meritless, rant (sure to *upped* by some dutiful crony), your side of this debate has descended fully into troll.

I’m not humouring you further.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm |

i’m flattered that you think i have cronies.
            but alas, no upvotes…

i distinctly remember stating something about YOU trolling ME three comments ago… curious but obviously, turnabout is not something you’re particularly talented in.

you humour me whether you intend to or not. and this conversation has proven the nature of your intent.

• ‘…turnabout is not something you’re particularly talented in.’

Unlike yourself fag.

R.I.P political correctness.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 21, 2014 at 3:01 pm |

by calling me ‘fag’

you confirm:

you’re definitely not an anarchist.

you’re not against cultural hegemony or oppression.

you side with prevailing victorian attitudes about sex and gender (the ‘establishment’),

you have no concept of solidarity,

you have no concept of social justice,

you are not radical.

your politics are little more than the google slideshow you’ve demonstrated thus far, without nuance or even form.

you’re not ‘antifa’ no matter what cute like infographic you stole from elsewhere.

you are an agitator, a provacateur. a pig in a black hoodie and nike sneakers. if not a pig, you’ll have to excuse me because you reek of bullshit.

fitting then, you’d upload a picture from a show whose politics are at best questionable. two libertarian millionaires who have a hard time empathising with any ‘other.’

i guess there goes your ‘ideological purity.’

• ‘… from a show whose politics are at best questionable.’

Why you being such a limpwristed nancy? Can’t you just condemn those bigots unequivocally? How can you tolerate this shit?:

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 21, 2014 at 11:05 pm |

so this conversation concludes with me being absolutely upright and correct about you. a little fascist shit in virtual blackbloc clothing. thanks for the validation of my intuitive power and for demonstrating to everyone else, how razor sharp my shuriken-wit is.

• More like a self-righteous obtuse apologist for those who threaten his very existence.

You’re fucking pathetic.

• Quote him making an apology for the US or UK governments, liar.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm |

apologist? to whom?
            the anticorporate, anticap, queer, coloured, anarchist contingent?
            well i own that.

• Shills of the Far-Right ruling establishment, who cynically champion this smirking “irony” in the 21st century:

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 1:45 pm |

do you think that by repeating a farcically untrue statement, totally opposed to what i represent, somehow will mystically manifest itself as true?

family guy- now there is a show with buckets and barrels of rape jokes AND radical cred. good on you for discovering that hidden gem of fox media.

• Another show I don’t watch.

• Yeah, Jin. It’s hypocritical to criticize Mr. B for calling you a “fag” without at the same time condemning every single other person who has ever publicly used the term, by name (unless a heroic Washington resistant sovereign like Putin uses it, of course, in which case criticizing him is the same as advocating that the KKK kill all black people).

• It virtually is when your intent is to enable homophobic skinheads in bombing Syria.

And you complain that I’m a mischaracterizer.

I’m a little surprised you didn’t chime in with an obscure Matt Stone quotation, declaring his love for the homosexual community.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 22, 2014 at 3:33 am |

For a extrememely extreme radical, you sure have a lot of time away from taking action.

If you really want to make a difference, get out there and feed the poor or something. Because honestly, online, you look like a crazy person, a dumbass, and or a narc. Where’s your urgency? Quit trying so hard. That’s honesty for you, do with it what you will.

• The poor can lick my butt, suck on my balls and so can you,
            wooly-minded, vacuous, imbecile.

• Yes, but that wasn’t Jin’s intent. You mischaracterized him.

• He advocates friendly NWO shills (and persecutes their critics):

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 12:26 pm |

can you quote from any comment in the last 2 years (or even longer if you prefer) where i referred to moore in any way, advocated his films, a NWO, or didn’t blast institutional hierarchy and systemic oppression, imperialism or the attack on the 3rd world?

answer the question at hand.

• You seem to be imagining things.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm |

i think it’s a bit queer (excuse the pun) that you understood ‘other’ to mean queer, when in fact as i wrote it, it referred to a range of things and peoples.

• A quotation would be helpful.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm |

you’re perfectly capable of scrolling up a few comments, aren’t you?

the order in which words were exchanged, culminated in the ‘fag’ remark, and subsequently defending stone and parker as ‘pro’ gay. but you see i only referred to empathising with an ‘other’ – it didn’t specifically or even largely refer to any anti-gay sentiment i may or may not find in their works.

but to take issue with a work in popular culture(that you enjoy, and you’re welcome to that, i’ve written about problematising enjoyment in media before) , somehow means to you i embrace the nwo, when i specifically took issue with and stated several times that i think that you should provide critical analysis i.e. writing/context instead of instagram-lite, painting everyone with the same war criminal brush when no one (chomsky + west, in this case) is ideologically pure to begin with. you can disagree with them, but understand why, take issue with their ideological views, rather than an over-simplifying complex issues with a jpg.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm |

Do not call my friend that.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 21, 2014 at 10:56 pm |

thanks dude, appreciate that!

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm |

It’s totally uncalled for, and the act of doing so has belied this Mr. Bs attempts to be seen as a person of the people. As noted by you below.

• That’s what I yell at the screen, while you lot are chuckling into your popcorn.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 22, 2014 at 3:19 am |

Squad Who Are You Trying to Fool: Self Police … Circle Jerk $0.02′

• Wth?

• I haven’t seen that movie, with or without popcorn.

• Cool it with the derogatory remarks.

• My sentiments exactly.

• Yes, you are the only person in the world who should never be criticized.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm |

calling a show’s politics ‘questionable at best’ is hardly derogatory, it simply implies that i disagree with those politics and occasionally find them in bad taste.

• ‘calling a show’s politics ‘questionable at best’ is hardly derogatory,…’

Quite! Whereas my Leftist activism disgusts you.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 2:01 pm |

what leftist activism?
            the same one that hates fags ‘n povos?
            you mean the same leftist activism that is
            without ideological basis? or even the slightest bit
            of demonstrable basis, based on your online interpersonal interactions?
            or the same ‘leftist activism’ whose genesis was thoroughly and entirely situated in economics and class analysis, and has been extended to include: race, gender, and orientation, antiwar, anti neo-colonial, post-colonial, anti neo-imperialist, anti globalisation movements.

you’ve only demonstrated one of those things and it is generally thoroughly misplaced in context and without any intelligent remarks to support it. you get it ‘right’ when the article is about bush or obama, but come on dude, that is like using an EVA’s laser sword to slice bread. easy as.

that isn’t leftist activism. first step for you is learning empathy or at least demonstrable awareness of actual leftist works.

• What leftist activism!? Why, condemning Cornel West and Malala Yousafzai while championing Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin, of course!

• Well. You just lost that discussion in a really big way.

• There was a discussion?

My challenge rattled more cages than ever.

• Anyone can be rude and provocative–the challenge is to argue points without stooping to those particular behaviors.

• Maybe if you had stuck up for me when I was being rudely provoked, I wouldn’t have had to.

• You mean when I pointed out that condemning racist governments for killing brown people while wishing most of the human race, including brown people, dead is incredibly hypocritical?

• Obviously not.

• LOL!! So now it’s my fault that you exposed yourself to ridicule because I didn’t “stick up” for you? That’s hilarious!!

You’re a big boy: I’m sure you can handle it.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm |

is that what you think?

no all it did was expose
            your politics, which you go

at lengths to obfuscate, your character
            and your posting quality.
            if you think you’re popular, by all means,
            believe that, but i don’t think many on the board,
            certainly not long-time posters, appreciate
            the child-like, inarticulate, emo-aggro quality of
            mouth breathing agitators.

• You equate provocation with popularity?
            I find most of your arguments so off-target, its a strain dealing with you.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 1:05 pm |

don’t you mean ‘superfluous?’

• QED.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm |

ex falso quodlibet

i like this game.

• Apparently he needs you to be a South Park and Michael Moore fan so he can call you a hypocrite.

• By the way, I don’t watch South Park either.

• A misanthropist who doesn’t hate himself is a hypocrite.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm |

well i certainly have moments of self-loathing, but i consider that a sign i still have a conscience.

• Jin, don’t you think that the eugenics of overpopulation is really about social class, or, at least, a big part of it? After all, that’s why Swift wrote “A Modest Proposal,” about what England should do with the overpopulation of those stinking, evil, drunken, fecund (read: POOR) Irish.

Certainly, “brown” people around the world have borne and continue to bear the brunt of things but in the end, it always to be about money and social class/standing–the basis for imperialism, genocide, et al. and the way things are socially structured for upper classes. Giving us ridiculous scenarios such as, “Oh, look!! All those brown Native Americans are on OUR land! Besides, they aren’t using it anyway.”

In the U.S., we consider individual’s socio-economic status as a life-chances indicator–the intersection between race, gender, and social class, yet we hear plenty about the over-breeding of those at the bottom regardless of race, even as national and state governments nationwide move to restrict birth control for all classes.

• The dumbest aspect of it has got to be that poor people use far fewer resources and pollute far less than rich people, even when you take each group as a whole. Poor people and their numbers are absolutely not the problem.

• Right. And, the invisible poverty class does all the crappy jobs that keep us going.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm |

yes of course. i totally agree.
            when i refer to ‘race’
            it is also coded to refer to class and gender.
            b/c ‘sex, race and class’ was one of the first works i read
            on intersectionality. you could replace the word ‘race’ for socio-economic status on many if not most of my comments.
            i see capitalism as the grand emperor of oppression, all other things are a system of the larger economic system. in my mind, you can’t refer to symptoms without referencing the disease.

• Selma James?

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 22, 2014 at 1:38 pm |

yes, she also wrote a pamphlet on sex work and marriage that really influenced the way i feel about both.

• misinformation | Aug 3, 2014 at 12:46 am |

I haven’t read it and perhaps I’m missing your point but isn’t ‘A Modest Proposal’, satire, regarding the imperial view of the Irish?

• Jeez. No. Read it. It’s online.

• misinformation | Aug 4, 2014 at 1:18 am |

Well again, I haven’t read it so I’m open to being wrong (though it seems crystal clear that I am not) but a quick ‘startpage’ search of ‘swift + satire + modest proposal’ seems to pretty much refute your understanding of the work.

It seems pretty clear – as in, without a doubt – based on the myriad explanations online, that ‘A Modest Proposal…’ is indeed, satire. Swift after-all, is known as much as anything, as a satirist.

I will now make time to read it though, thanks.

• Oginikwe | Aug 4, 2014 at 9:21 am |

It is, of course, satire. But it is not about the imperialistic view of the Irish. When have the Irish ever had the opportunity to be imperialistic?

• misinformation | Aug 4, 2014 at 10:18 am |

I wasn’t clear. The Imperialist[s] (I should’ve just said British) view OF the Irish, not BY the Irish.

• LOL!!
            Obviously, I misread your post.
            See, this is how wars start . . . ;^D

• misinformation | Aug 5, 2014 at 12:34 am |

‘See, this is how wars start . . . ;^D’

Ha. Indeed…and unfortunately.

• Misanthropy is a hatred of brown people too.

And a misanthropist who doesn’t hate himself is a hypocrite.

• ‘mis·an·thro·py noun mi-ˈsan(t)-thrə-pē

: dislike or hatred of other people’

~ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misanthropy

I don’t love brown people. My objection is in constantly seeing an effigy of myself, violently murdered, to the institutionalized, malicious, delight, of people like yourself.

• See a therapist.

• See a mirror.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 20, 2014 at 11:07 pm |

bloody mary bloody mary bloody mary

• I do.

Let me state my position explicitly so you’re less able to mischaracterize it. Skin color is obviously one of the stupidest reasons imaginable to kill people, but if you think wishing death upon the whole human race is somehow less evil, well, that is a judgment I do not share.

• So it’s all about purging your existence? Your suffering is the only suffering that matters? Fuck the poor and fuck brown people, unless they can be used as a cudgel against the governments you hate? I’m sure the poor and people of color would feel much better about being killed by you than by Obama or Queen Whats-Her-Face. I’m sure it would make a lot of difference to them as they and their children took their last breaths.

Sparing 113,000,000? Is that more or less than Hitler would have spared?

• ‘Your suffering is the only suffering that matters?’

Yep, do it to Julia mate.

Andrew, I hate my own mother, but I wouldn’t sit idly by and watch a soccer lout stomp her head into the ground to spite me.

• If there are 7 billion too many people, you’re going to have to get rid of most of the brown ones too.

• Naturally with armed white supremacists.

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 19, 2014 at 2:48 pm |

The Bundy Ranch?

• Echar Lailoken | Jul 19, 2014 at 10:53 pm |

That made me laugh. Incredibly poor choice of costume. Maybe he has a conscience afterall and is making a statement about his lineage?

• They’d have to be killed too.

• Then let’s hope for a relatively humane lethal plague, rather than your violent, white-on-brown, genocide fixation.

• I have no such fixation, you liar.

3. Anarchy Pony | Jul 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm |

Yes we are alone in the universe. Millions of other species on earth notwithstanding…

• The sooner we kill the rest of those species, the sooner we’ll be alone in the universe. Just the like the Blessed Dog told us.

4. The sooner we can start telling them about Jesus, the better.

5. DrDavidKelly | Jul 18, 2014 at 5:04 am |

I bet in the next 20 years that find nothing zip nada.

6. Opposite Day | Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 pm |

Does the Rendlesham forest incident mean anything to these people. RAF Bentwaters… Nuclear missiles shutting down, high level radiation found at UFO landing site…. Physical evidence, credible witnesses…

If NASA looked down as much as they look up, they might actually find evidence of ET life.

7. kowalityjesus | Aug 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm |

there are much stranger explanations for that but you’re practically right on.