Via Midwest Real

imageimage

Yoga, meditation, float tanks, psychedelics, philosophy, creativity, freedom nuggets and shit on the water slide of life.

Liam Wilson Liam Wilson is best known for playing bass in the spastic, technical, incredible progressive metal mainstay, Dillinger Escape Plan. If you’re a fan of heavy music and you somehow haven’t heard of them over the course of the last 15 or so years, I don’t even know what to say.

For those in the “not so much into metal” camp, fear not! This man is likely the opposite of what comes to mind when you imagine a guy with millions of head bangs under his belt. He’s a voracious reader, a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation, a yogi, a psychonaut, a student of many philosophies, and a bunch of other things I can guarantee he’d never be comfortable calling himself.

We spent very little time hovering around the surface in this conversation. In fact, I think Liam might have been a little bit excited to be on a show that welcomes fare beyond the discussion of his bass rig (which is glorious, by the way).

Go give my new friend (and I do mean that!) some love on Twitter, Facebook and on some of his articles over at Talkhouse. If you want to see what his band is up to, click this.

Want more content like this? Check out our new site Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and don’t forget to subscribe and review on iTunes!

somespaceshitmwr3

17 Comments on "Set Your Good Vibe Blasters on High! Liam Wilson of Dillinger Escape Plan Talks Yoga, Meditation, Psychedelics and More on Midwest Real."

1. Mark Pugner | Jul 26, 2014 at 4:40 am |

No surprise that pseudo non-mainstream bands would be interested in such topics. From tool, meshuggah to mr. bungle and other virtuoso pretentiousness for the uebercool teenager of yesteryear, a pinch of the spiritual makes it even more appealing. guru, guru guru…. said the pigeon while spreading disease.

Still their music makes babies cry and my plants prefer birdsongs. Douchebags

• Craig Bickford | Jul 26, 2014 at 7:51 am |

You hit the nail on the head (even though I like DEP, I like some weird music though), the new age bullshit is firmly embedded in the various music scenes and has been since the 60’s when it was placed there by design. See Dave McGowan or Jan Irvin’s work. That last comment should make some people’s heads explode here on Disinfo, yip I’m looking at all you enthogen defending counter culture shills. Lap it up.

• mauriziojuvefc | Jul 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm |

I love Mr Bungle, Meshuggah and DEP. Not so much a Tool fan though. The first 3 bands can be considered “virtuoso” I guess but Tool (from a musician’s point of view) isn’t that complex.

I think they’re wonderful have brought me much joy. I take it you’re a Doors fan? 🙂

• Mark Pugner | Sep 8, 2014 at 9:48 am |

Not at all, i am not a fan of pretentious fucks who have nothing better to do than recycle the same trash over and over again. A sure sign a culture has reached its end. Take the 18th century, if you played the same piece twice to a person, they’d be bored… nowadays play sth new and the audience cant handle it. It’s a joke the lack of quality and quantity of music, especially those lazy self-loving “musicians” who consider themselves above the mainstream are the most pathetic (secret chiefs is a great example for this). Too many assholes have an enneagram.

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 8, 2014 at 7:51 pm |

“Take the 18th century, if you played the same piece twice to a person, they’d be bored…”

No, this simply cannot be backed up and there is much evidence to suggest that it just isn’t true. If this was the case, folk standards would not be passed down and repeated century after century.

I think you’ve missed the point with SC3 but it’s not for everyone. It is far from lazy and I can say this as I used to get lessons from one of the members of the band and man they are serious fucking musicians.

Yes, in our day and age, mass marketed rubbish is flooding the market more so than ever but that’s no excuse for people who appreciate finer music, it’s up to us to learn how to dig for gold better.

• Mark Pugner | Sep 9, 2014 at 1:44 am |

There is plenty of evidence, you’d better study up before you come back at me with lukewarm replies. You do realize what “folk” music is, how context has changed and what commodities are? Your arguments seem dumb and over-protective, lighten up.
            -> 🙂
            I doubt I’ve missed the point with sc3, they just simply suck, pretending to be deep so hard. Plastiic music, plastic spiritulaity. The new album is shameful consisting of hardly any new material. Which reminds me of another shithead, John Zorn, he writes a lot of music, but never leaves the fenced area, calling it lunatic fringe, although its more of a sheepish yawn.

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 9, 2014 at 1:52 am |

I just don’t understand how you can justify your statement regarding the 1800s saying that people would immediately become bored from listening to a piece of music more than once, this is just unfounded and I cannot see how you could prove this or even how it makes any sense.

I also don’t see how culture has ended now. It’s all relative and if you don’t like mainstream culture, go and create your own instead of crying about it.

• Mark Pugner | Sep 9, 2014 at 2:18 am |

How about you read all the material collected in Prussia around 1700, there is plenty of documentation. Musicians produced hundreds of tunes on a daily basis, remember we are talking commodities here. Maybe a visit to Potsdam will open your eyes….

Why can i not create and offer an opinion at the same time? Are you some sort of little thought police?

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 9, 2014 at 6:16 pm |

I’ll totally take this on board but first, please lend me your magical history book and/or time machine. Cheers.

• Mark Pugner | Sep 10, 2014 at 3:13 am |

Oh, come on don’t be such a loser, behavior like that, really!?. The 1700s, very interesting, just before music turned into a commodity for the Bourgeoisie, when things turned “broadway”.

Dunning-Kruger would have quite the party with you and Mr. Wilson up top. Very inadequate indeed^^ I guess you guys are ok with prematurely ejaculating your superficial egos onto others.

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 10, 2014 at 8:19 am |

so what is your suggestion?

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm |

Not being a smart ass, I’m just curious. There’s no point us slinging shit at each other when we obviously actually give a shit about this particular topic.

• mauriziojuvefc | Sep 25, 2014 at 11:37 pm |

OK so you’re just going to post shitting on everyone’s opinions but then you don’t have anything constructive to offer?

• Mark Pugner | Sep 9, 2014 at 3:09 am |

you do understand the difference to folk music as it used to be practiced? the ratio of active to passive participants is way different than in funky commodity land, where you usually have 3-5 assholes with thousands of watts backup, pacifying 1000s if not 10000s of consuming sheep with their flashy drivel boasting some sort of spiritual undertone (yeah ram that ego down everybody’s throat).
            How could you even compare this to a “lived” tradition, where the passive part is the minority and self-important douchebags are instantly put in their place by their lovingly teasing community? You clearly are way too easily impressed, which is no wonder, sound is some powerful shit.

• mauriziojuvefc | Jul 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm |

also, you know that the singer of the band (DEP) is an atheist?