Fear is the Mind-Killer

Porsche Brosseau (CC BY 2.0)

Porsche Brosseau (CC BY 2.0)

via Humanity Plus Magazine:

Anxious people tend to perceive their world in a more threatening way. That is, the more anxious a person is, the more likely they are to notice threatening things around them. This is called the threat bias.

Some researchers believe that the threat bias makes it harder for people to get rid of anxiety disorders because they get stuck in a loop – they feel anxious, they start noticing threatening things in their environment, and this in turn makes them even more anxious.

However, the threat bias isn’t just something that people with anxiety disorders experience. Everyone can have trouble keeping worrying thoughts and feelings of anxiety out of their minds. And there are things you can do to make it easier for your brain to inhibit worrying thoughts.

Read More: http://hplusmagazine.com/2014/11/04/fear-mind-killer/

17 Comments on "Fear is the Mind-Killer"

1. Anarchy Pony | Nov 6, 2014 at 2:08 pm |

Do not fear assimilation, human, resistance is futile.

2. BuzzCoastin | Nov 6, 2014 at 4:17 pm |

“BOB DIAMOND: “Being from earth as you are and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.

DAN MILLER: “It has?”

BOB DIAMOND: “Everybody on earth deals with fear. That’s what little brains do.”

BOB DIAMOND: “Did you ever have friends whose stomach hurt?”

DAN MILLER: “Every one of them.”

BOB DIAMOND: “It’s fear. Fear is like a giant fog. It sits on your brain and blocks everything. Real feeling, true happiness, real joy, they can’t get through that fog. But you lift it and buddy you’re in for the ride of your life.”
    Defending Your Life, Albert Brooks

3. trompe l'oeil | Nov 6, 2014 at 4:20 pm |

Fear is a choice. Courage is a decision to ride your fear like a big ass steed into the battle between yourself and your Self.

• Most robots are unable to transcend the limitations of their hardware and its programming.

Personally, ÿ recommend total removal of the amygdala in such instances.

Much like the appendix, it is a completely useless biological structure. Witness: they both start with the letter A. Nothing good can come from words beginning with the letter A.

Your mileage may vary.®

• trompe l'oeil | Nov 8, 2014 at 11:37 am |

“Ladies and Gentlemen! You’ve read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature’s mistakes! I give you: the average man. Physically unremarkable, it instead possesses a deformed set of values. Notice the hideously bloated sense of humanity’s importance. Also note the club-footed social conscience and the withered optimism. It’s certainly not for the squeamish, is it? Most repulsive of all, are its frail and useless notions of order and sanity. If too much weight is placed upon them… they snap. How does it live, I hear you ask? How does this poor pathetic specimen survive in today’s harsh and irrational environment? I’m afraid the sad answer is, “Not very well.” Faced with the inescapable fact that human existence is mad, random, and pointless, one in eight of them crack up and go stark slavering buggo! Who can blame them? In a world as psychotic as this… any other response would be crazy!” The Joker

• Fear isn’t a choice, but a question. Courage is an answer to that question.

• trompe l'oeil | Nov 8, 2014 at 10:35 pm |

formulaically, in the case of fear, it is both a question concerning the perils of death, and the reactionary choice regarding the awareness of such, so I agree.

• Well, I think when one labels fear a choice, there needs to be clarification. Emotions can be changed with perspective and knowledge, but the choice to do so isn’t a momentary one like flipping a switch, it’s an ongoing process. Simple repression is unhealthy, and as emotions exist and arise for a reason, I believe they should be mindfully listened to. (I don’t mean listened to as a synonym for obeyed.)

• trompe l'oeil | Nov 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm |

We agree in differing terms, the concepts we’re describing require rigorous discourse in relation to emotional behaviors and impulses. I agree with what you say and am glad we could both elaborate on this discussion which I feel is necessary, substantial and to oft glossed over.

4. BuzzCoastin | Nov 6, 2014 at 4:26 pm |

when I first began to drop out
    I was very afraid
    uncertainy was extreemly disconcerting
    I would imagine the worst and dred its coming
    butt eventually
    the worst happened and it wasn’t really bad
    or
    things would work out better than I coulda imagined
    I would think
    if I’d known it was gonna work out like this
    I would have never worried at all
    after noticing this pattern of resolution stretched back decades
    I finally learned to stop being afraid
    and began to fully embrace of the ride of my life

5. imSuperCereal | Nov 7, 2014 at 6:47 am |

I think fear is mostly conquered by doing the things that you fear. On the other hand though, (once you push past that stage) you can acquire such an incredible reserve of fearlessness and confidence that you do stupid things. You feel so powerful that you scoff at danger. You feel like you can bulldoze over any obstacle like the mighty Juggernaut. So there is another stage after that one, another enemy after fear, waiting in the shadows. It’s important for people to know but rarely discussed in our culture. The fear of fire, for example, is rooted in biology, and therefore based in a reality more concrete than your psychological hangups. In the final analysis, one must ask “how” the fear functions, in order to determine whether it or not it should be targeted or left alone.