Author Archive | Stacie Adams

Free Speech Lives, But It Will Cost You

From The Smirking Chimp:

Count this as another savage blow for those cherished corporate interests:

In a stunning reversal of the nation’s federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Thursday that as an exercise of free speech, corporations, labor unions and other groups can directly spend on political campaigns.

The justices also struck down part of the landmark McCain-Feingold campaign finance bill that barred union- and corporate-paid issue ads in the closing days of election campaigns.

“The notion that the First Amendment dictated [today's ruling] is, in my judgment, profoundly misguided,” dissenting Judge John Paul Stevens wrote for the others.

“In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant. Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it,” he added. (Via FOXnews.com)

I frequently hear arguments from all sides citing the ‘restrictions’ on free speech.

Read the rest

Continue Reading

Facebook: Where Souls Go To Die

On KidCryingThe First Church of Mutterhals:

I recently saw graffiti written on a train that said “80% of the internet is pornography.” While I don’t normally give much credence to random statistics scrawled on the sides of fast moving freight trains, I have to say this one struck me as fairly accurate. I would even go as far as characterizing the remaining 20% as being comprised of cat pictures, celebrity gossip and social networking sites appealing to the emotional retard in all of us.

Yeah, I said it. Retard.

Facebook is a place for puerile rumor mongering and passive-aggressive pronouncements made from the safety of your profile page. For all the talk about connecting to people around the world, social utilities really only serve to foster the increasing sense of isolation and narcissism already rampant among humanity.

Am I the only person who thinks every update is a provocation aimed directly at me?

Read the rest

Continue Reading

Transcript of the Forthcoming Sean Hannity/Sarah Palin interview

On the firstchurchofmutterhals blog:

Don’t say I never gave you nothing. Guess who got her hot little hands on the Sean Hannity/Sarah Palin interview that hasn’t even happened yet? Don’t tell anyone, but back in the 80s I gave a lap dance to Stephen Hawking and as a reward for my sultry moves he offered me use of his time machine. Behold!

***
Sean Hannity: First of all I’d like to say that you are the second coming of Christ.

Sarah Palin: Oh gee thanks, it’s citizens like you that make me proud of this our land of freedom and bravery in the country we call the American States.

SH: If the Virgin Mary walked into this room and shat in the corner, it would not rival the profundity and pureness of your being. I would allow myself to be buried alive with your corpse, if my producer deemed it necessary…

Read the rest

Continue Reading

Shepard Fairey: Clandestine Asshole

Secrecy is of utmost importance to the graffiti artist. After all, their chosen medium remains illegal. And good graffiti rivals more traditional artistic pursuits, especially now, when controversy is valued much more than pure talent in the art world.

I used to be a huge fan of Shepard Fairey (of Obey/Giant fame) while he was still underground. He’s since ruined the surprise for everyone.

Fairey broke rule number one of guerilla art: you never, ever show your face. You are not doing this for publicity, after all, nor for money. You are doing this to get your anarchic message to the masses, whether they like it or not.

As well intentioned as Fairey’s Barack Obama portrait may have been (and I believe that is debatable) it will eventually prove to be his undoing. He’s recently admitted lying about the source picture, all while in the midst of a court battle with the Associated Press and his lawyers are talking about walking.… Read the rest

Continue Reading