Unacceptable Levels is a film about chemicals in our bodies
… and how they got there.
A portion of the proceeds from sales of Unacceptable Levels will be donated to HealthyChild.org
Unacceptable Levels examines the results of the chemical revolution of the 1940s through the eyes of affable filmmaker Ed Brown, a father seeking to understand the world in which he and his wife are raising their children. To create this debut documentary, one man and his camera traveled extensively to find and interview top minds in the fields of science, advocacy, and law. Weaving their testimonies into a compelling narrative, Brown presents us with the story of how the chemical revolution brought us to where we are, and of where, if we’re not vigilant, it may take us.
Over 80,000 chemicals flow through our system of commerce, and many are going straight into our bodies. Even our unborn children are affected. Due to this constant exposure, we have approximately 200 synthetic industrial chemicals interacting with our cells every single day. Until recently, modern science really didn’t understand what that could mean for all of us in the long run, but that is changing.
Globally, disease rates are on the rise. Theories about the causes abound, yet the issues are complex and often muddied by the maneuvering of political and corporate interests. To explore different facets of common chemical exposure, Unacceptable Levels, was made in consultation with experts in multiple fields and is guided by a father on a personal journey as he attempts to bring these issues to light for everyone. Its primary goal? To determine whether we can prevent disease before it strikes us.
Unacceptable Levels opens the door to conversations about the chemical burden our bodies carry so that we can make informed decisions now and in the future. The film poses challenges to our companies, our government, and our society to do something about a nearly-unseen threat with the inspired knowledge that small changes can generate a massive impact.
Unacceptable Levels Features:
- Ralph Nader, Author, Getting Steamed to Overcome Corporatism
- Dr. Devra Lee Davis, Founder and President, The Environmental Health Trust
- Stacy Malkan, Co-Founder of The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
- Ken Cook, President and Co-Founder, The Environmental Working Group
- Christopher Gavigan, Former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World and CPO of The Honest Company
- Dr. Alan Greene, Pediatrician, Author/Feeding Baby Green
- Dr. John Warner, President & Chief Technology Officer, The Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry
- Andy Igrejas, Director, Safer Chemicals Healthy Families
- Dr. Jennifer Sass,Senior Scientist, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Dr. William Hirzy, Fluoride Action Network; Former Chemist in Residence, American University
- Dr. Richard Clapp, Professor of Environmental Health, Boston University
- Dr. Tyrone Hayes, Biologist, The University of California Berkeley
- Jeffrey Hollender, Former CEO, Seventh Generation
- Randy Hayes, Founder, Rainforest Action Network
“Unacceptable Levels is a hugely important film… Sadly, most Americans are misinformed or not informed at all about how many toxic chemicals we are being exposed to 24 hours a day. These toxins are making us sick and quite simply our lives are being threatened. We need to stand up and speak out. We must demand a healthy environment for ourselves and for our children.”
- Mariel Hemingway, Actress, Author, Healthy Living Advocate
“This movie makes it impossible to hide behind the numbers. It not only changes the way that you look at the world, but the way that we look at ourselves.”
- Randy Hayes, Founder, Rainforest Action Network
“With this remarkably important film, Ed Brown captures the seamy side of the chemical revolution and forces us to confront the need to make the future safer than the past.”
- Dr. Devra Lee Davis, PhD, MPH, Founder and President of the Environmental Health Trust, author of Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation
“Such an important and powerful film! This is a story you need to hear.”
- Stacy Malkan, Co-founder of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and author, “Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry”
“Unacceptable Levels is Powerful. It tells the story of toxic chemicals in just about every aspect of our lives, and the egregious lack of regulation. Our ability to protect our families is at stake.”
- Joan Blades, Co-founder of MomsRising.org & MoveOn.org
“This film is a huge eye-opener! Once a parent sees this, they thankfully won’t ever approach their child’s health & future the same way ever again!”
- Jessica Capshaw Gavigan, Environmental Advocate and Actress
“This movie is a must see for all of us whose vision is a future free from toxic chemicals… policy makers, CEOs, educators and parents alike.”
- Erin Switalski, Executive Director, Women’s Voices for the Earth
“From the products we use, to the food we eat, to the air we breathe, Unacceptable Levels documents how prevalent toxic chemicals have become a part of our everyday lives. Ed Brown uses the powerful connection of family to illustrate how broken our system has become, and why we must do something about it. Our children’s futures depend on it.”
- Gigi Lee Chang, CEO, Healthy Child Healthy World