You’ve got mental problems? There’s an app for that. In fact there are several, per TechCrunch:
… Read the rest
…With more than 40 million people suffering from mental health disorders, there is a large opportunity to profit by promising quick-fix remedies to emotional pain. Leveraging ubiquitous mobile devices, a single app can deliver these quick-fix remedies in a highly scalable way.
What are their claims?
- “90% of our clients see their social anxiety decline.” – Joyable
- “Our online CBT program is proven to reduce social anxiety in just 12 weeks.” – Joyable
- “86% of frequent users get happier in 2 months.” – Happify
- “Playing SuperBetter for 30 days improves mood, reduces symptoms of anxiety & depression and increases self-confidence.” – SuperBetter
- “Personal Zen Scientifically Reduces Anxiety in 25 Minutes” – Personal Zen
As a psychotherapist, I am troubled by this misguided, quick-fix approach to mental health.