Via CBS Los Angeles:
… Read the rest
A Southland firefighter wants to warn others about a prescription drug that he says poisoned him and stripped him of the ability to do what he loves.
Chino resident Chris Jones was taking a powerful antibiotic called ciprofloxacin, more commonly known by the brand name “Cipro.” It’s taken by millions of Americans every year.
Cipro belongs to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, which are so strong they can kill anthrax. They’re used to kill a wide variety of bacteria responsible for many common infections.
Jones’ ordeal started in October with a bout of groin pain, which he thought was a hernia.
His doctor suspected it was an infection and prescribed him Cipro, but Jones took the generic.
Two days after starting the medication, Jones called his doctor about soreness he was feeling in his legs. The doctor said to keep taking the medication.